Disability Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meditationlotus, Aug 6, 2009.

1. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

My doctor, an endocrinologist, has agreed to support my disability case. He diagnosed me with CFS/Neurally Mediated Hypotension many years ago. He did many tests on me, plus the Tilt Table Test, and this was his diagnosis, along with Hypothyroidism. I then lost my health insurance, and he treated me as best he could.

Now I have coverage thru a state program, but he is not a participant.

Since I have been without insurnace, he has not been able to do tests on me in quite a while (years), but he knows that the CFS/Neurally Mediated Hypotension has not improved, and that it has disabled me.

MY QUESTION IS, will the SSA work against me because I have not had a complete physical in many years?

[This Message was Edited on 08/06/2009]
  2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

It might be a good idea to run more tests. Are you seeing a good doc through the state program who can run them? SSA wants to see that you are seeing a doc regularly and to know that your condition is chronic.
  3. meditationlotus

I see my endo about every 6 months. I also see a cardiologist every 6 months to a year trying out new meds for the neurally mediated hypotension, but none of the meds help. I haven't told the cardio about my applying for disability, but will the next time I see him.

My endo doctor did recommend someone that used to work in his practice (another endo) who is covered by my insurance, but I have been afraid that the other doc might not understand CFS and tell me that I am simply depressed or something.

I'm afraid that too many docs might spoil the pot.

The Tilt Table Test is supposed to provide proof of CFS according to SSA, and I am hoping that will prove my condition along with the documented symptoms and how they affect my ability to work.

4. meditationlotus

I gave my doctor a CFS activities of daily living sheet that I filled out about my symptoms and how they affect my everyday work. Hopefully, he will include that in his disability report. I asked him to. All of his office notes are scribbles, and I doubt that the SSA will be able to read them.

I also plan to include a RFC form. I have heard that can really help your disability case.

Still wondering if the SSA will hold it against me because I haven't had a complete physical in many years. Couldn't afford to pay it out of pocket and afraid if I had it done by another doctor, he may not believe that CFS is real which could hurt my case.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Glenp, it is awesome that you won the first time around. Did you do this by yourself, or did you use an attorney or advocate like Allsup? Thanks[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2009]
  5. meditationlotus

That is good advice.