Disability Questions - Please read!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, Jul 8, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

Can someone please explain how people end up being considered "disabled" due to Fibromyalgia? I have been having a hard time lately with my diagnosis. I understand that this is not supposed to be a progressive disease, but how do people go from being diagnosed to being disabled?
    In other words - in my case, I started out with aches and pains and eventually things got worse and keep getting worse. I am no longer able to vacuum or clean or move anything without severe debilitating back, leg and arm pain. This is not something I had when I was diagnosed. My legs hurt worse than they did at first, my arms and hands and feet hurt worse than they did at first. Is this how people become eligible for disability? I'm so confused about this and I am just trying to find some answers. It has been a little over 2 years since my diagnosis. Thank you.
  2. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

3. Sekoya

Sekoya New Member

...but I think "disability" and "disabled" in the typical context refers to onex ability, or DISability, to do their (or any) job.

I know that I am DISabled due to FMS, but I don't know how to get people to believe me.

4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Sokoya's got it right. While many of us are able to do things, even work, so many of us are not able to do things without taking breaks, paying consequences (more pain or fatigue), etc.

And while many of us could work at very limited jobs, we're often "competitively unemployable". I mean, not many businesses want to hire someone whom they can't count on to be there, or who may not be able to do their jobs while they are there, or who may have to leave early. (I'm even talking about a 3-hour/week job.)[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2003]
  5. Betty32578

Betty32578 New Member

We must think alike. I've had this crazy mess 2 years and all I want to do is sit still or lay down (if the pain will let me). Then I can't walk when I get up, I hurt so bad. I take pain pills & muscle relaxers so I can use the keyboard. That works for a while then I'm off the computer 2-3 days with swollen fingers and neck arms, etc burning & hurting (WORSE) than before I tried to type or doing anything. My housework & all other chores that I normally could do as well as work are never caught up. My husband can only help so much & I really feel like a burden to him.
    My income is really missed. I have just got a social security attorney to see if I can get any type of help.

Betty in Central Florida
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think Social Security's current limit is $700/month. That means you can earn $700/month and still qualify for disability. However, since it's so hard to qualify anyway, if you can work that much qualifying might be downright impossible....

For private LTD, you can definitely work and apply. They just reduce your benefits check by a portion of your work earnings.
  7. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I appreciate all your answers. I'm just trying to make some sense out of this thing I am going through. It's so nice to know there are people here who are willing to share their thoughts and experiences with you. Thanks!
  8. SheriAL

SheriAL New Member

I appreciate that you complimented my advice..because I put my heart and soul into any thing I post on this board..I feel for the peron I am replying to as if they are sitting next to me in person..I feel their pain and their frustration..It was so hard for me the entire start to now disability process with paper work, turndowns, winning and now the in person doctor exam reviews to continue disability...
    And then those people out there that have known me 26 years in my area and are jealous that I am home now , talk about me as I am not in a wheelchair...I have finally learned to let some of that go, but it took me 8 years of them hurting me...I figured it out they were jealous of me being home...Like I am getting rich and just living a life of leisure..When from a middle class working family with values, character and a conscience, it does affect us negatively when we are treated that way by neighbors, we have known for years...I just say I am okay or fine now when someone makes a superficial hello to me..
    Thanks for making me feel validated in posting on here to help another person..Sheri in Alabama