Disability rating?? what does that mean???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

If I have a disability rating of a certain percentage, say 18% or 25% or whatever, what the heck does that mean?? I'm still working full time.

So, anyone have any knowlege about this?

I will be scheduling surgery on my left hand and wrist in March, so I'm sure my disability rating will change. They gave me some number after the surgery on my right hand 2 years ago.

I'm just not sure what that means in terms of employment? taxes? anything? This is important since I will be looking for a new job this summer after I move.

Thanks,
    Beth.
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi beth.
    in terms of employment and ratings i only ever knew one guy who was given a rating and that was of 50%. he was given it by the army so its different to civvy street. only that he was non operational, his knees are crumbling away.

other than that i dont know. do you have it in writing?
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

hmmm, I should get that in writing, good idea. Maybe after I recover from the surgery.
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

5. BethM

BethM New Member

yes, it's workers comp. Maybe the insurance people can explain it to me, but I'll look it up, too. Thanks!
    Beth.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

In Calif. a Rater (state employee) will rate the medical report using a chart. A moderate back injury, for example, would be 30%. This number is modified according to your age and occupation. The 30% might go up or down several points.

The date of injury is also important because the state changes the amounts involved from time to time.

Basic rule is, if you have a minor injury the insurance company will see that you get treatment and compensation for lost wages, etc. If you have a serious injury, you should have an atty represent you.