Disability Retirement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathybo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kathybo

Kathybo New Member

Hi... New here.

When I had the occasion a couple of months ago to have to go to the urgent care. The dr was reviewing the list of medications I was currently taking.

When he saw the Ultram, he asked what for and I said FM. He asked me why I was still working. I thought that to be an odd question. He said most people with FM are unable to work.

I do drag myself to work everyday. In pain and in a fog with depression and anxiety. I have since been put on Lyrica which is helping with the pain. I do take Cymbalta and Xanax for the depression and anxiety.

I have often thought that after 11 yrs in my very high stress job, it is time to go for my disability retirement. I am a civil servant... a welfare case manager.

I am afraid to apply for retirement. I have heard that it is almost never granted and can take 12 months for a decision. Our retirement rules are; if I take regular retirement while they are deciding my disability retirement and it is turned down I am not eligible for rehire. If I go out on state disability while my application is being considered and it is turned down, they have to offer me a postion again.

Can anyone please help ease my fears. I am so tired. I am so confused about the whole process. I am my sole support and could make it on the state disability but they make all the fine print so confusing that I am scared. AND... the thought of seeing a county doctor at their request, what are the odds of one of those understanding FM and ruling in my favor.

Sorry this was so very long and thank you in advance for any responses. I feel alone out here.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Welcome to board.

I personally cant help in this area but lots of folks can. I know they reccommened Allsup.

Is there a personal office you could take too? Lawyer? doc you never know. sounds like you already have one treating you so you have records.

best of luck
  3. Kathybo

Kathybo New Member

Thank you Glen.

I know getting all my records is going to be a daunting task. They are all over the place. Not only do I have FM, I also have SVT (a heart defect in the electrical system), severe stress induced adult onset asthma after a personal loss and arthritis in my knees and lower back.

I just keep getting up and going. But my body is really worn out. In the last two years I have had a couple major surgeries that have left me just wiped out. I think I would be better off without the stress of this job and its deadlines and politics.

I appreciate your response and I will start keeping a daily record of everything. I hadn't thought to do that.

I feel this is going to be an uphill battle. Fortunately, I have used very little of my state disability benefits. With all the deductions my employer takes out of my paycheck, my check from disability will only be a bit less a month. The insurance is what is going to be hard to maintain through the waiting period. I have enough in my disability to last about 11 months. I just have to take that leap and that is scary for me. I have worked since I was 17 years old and I am 48 now.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think we have a new board now that covers the subject of disability benefits.

Did you see the article on the net last week? Soc Sec disability cases are backed up. Long
    delays. Not enough money to hire processors. I think it said 2/3 of the cases are denied.
    You definitely need an attorney.

Good luck.