Disability.......What are my chances now??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, Aug 15, 2005.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I went for my state physical exam and the doctor asked a few questions and said he was going to send in my records just as they were.He did mention fibromyalgia.

On the mental exam he had me fill out a form(i think it was the same doctor) When I went in there He asked me just a few questions .One of the questions was about depression.

He said that he thought the depression was because of the fibromyalgia.

What do you think? Opinions please!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2005]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Bumpity bump
  3. over50

over50 New Member

Or have you been diagnosed with depression?
    I had depression before and it has just gotten so much worse.
    I wish they would just be honest and tell us what they are going to write down.
    We will just pray that he sees the truth.
    I hope someone else has better info for you.
    I know its not easy,but,try not to worry.
    Take care,Linda
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm a Linda too.WE also have to file for Bankruptcy.My husband is 66 and still has to work because of this.I am stressed out because beside dealing with the pain-

My daughter is in Baghdad,

A friend just died and we are planning his memorial.

Another friend has 2-4 months to love and yet another is also battling cancer.It's up his spine already.

I try to keep a positive outlook but it does get tough once in a while.Linda
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Originally diagnosed by a neurologist,included in records from 2 rheumatologists,and 2 primary physicians.One of the rheumatologist wrote a 12 page report that said I had Severe fibromyalgia in it
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hi love thesun,

i had my medical exam in the middle of julu the doctor said you have it all ove your body. he asked my a few qquestions i did mention i had been on ssdi before and won case in 7/04. i dont what he will reccomend i'm 40 years old and i deal w/depression and anxiety as well.

and the psych eval the doctor was trying to saying that he thought maybe my depression was do to my pain and that the doctors need to put me on nuerotin and narcotics and in a bout 4 months my pain should be fine, i told him i've done the neortin years ago when it furst came out.

well i will wait and see what decsions i iget. they have until 10/07/05 for the determination.

8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Keep me posted O.K?
  9. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Lovethesun~~I applied on my own for Disability in October/04. Starting in January/05, SSA sent me to 5 exams/tests. I am 56, was born with severe asthma/alleries & IBS. I was diagnosed with FM/CFS in my early teens. Later in life developed 3 kinds of arthritis, extreme degenerative disc disease with other multiple back problems to the point that my back is "inoperable". And, last year I had 3 strokes all on the right side of my brain going from my forehead to the spinal column. The major stroke has left me with some serious problems. I am my sole financial provider, but had to give up my long-time job that I loved in May/04 and filed for disability in October/04.

In January/05, SSA began sending me to a series of 5 exams/tests. The first was the Mental Health Exam. Along with many other of my medical problems, my physician was treating me for depression. I had had so many griefs & losses, so much pain, the strokes and all the problems the major stroke has left me with that anyone would have been depressed. A few of the consequences of the major stroke was it wiped out my memory--I couldn't remember how to do ordinary things; my vision is extremely poor; I unknowingly go into trances and just stand where I am staring into space, and then I come out of them, and I have alot of confusion.

Prior to going into the Mental Health Exam, I had promised myself that I wouldn't cry. But as he put my chart down, he said, "Life hasn't been very good to you the past several years has it", and I ended up crying throughout the entire session. He didn't ask me if I had depression--he told me I had severe depression. To SSA depression is depression regardless of what causes it.

However, with SSA they look for the 3 key elements of any illness: Severity, Duration, and Frequency. So, always explain how you feel on your worst day and remember the key words. Because on any exam/test they are looking for several things about you. Like on the Mental Health Exam/test--the examiner is not just looking at your mental state of being.

I flunked the Mental Health Exam even though I tried my best to do as well as I could. I couldn't remember the questions he asked me, and he had to repeat them; just every-thing went wrong. I got confused, couldn't quit crying, and felt as though I had failed myself miserably. But, for what SSA was looking for...I passed with flying colors.

While SSA gave no credence to my FM/CFS, I went through 4 more exams/tests. A Memory Exam, an eye exam, a visual field exam, and the last one in May/05 was the orthopedist exam who examined me thoroughly, ordered his own quick x-rays on the spot, and as he poked and prodded on me--he did note my FM/CFS.

The last of May/05, I received my SSA Letter of Award. I discovered in their 4-page Letter that they already determined I was disabled in December/04. However, in my case, all the tests were to decide what "percentage" of disability to give me since they can give you anywhere from 10% to 100%. I got 100% disability, with no review until 7 years, and a prognosis of "not likely to improve".

So, they give exams/tests for two reasons. One, to see if you truly are so disabled that you cannot do any kind of work, and secondly to determine the percentage of your disability and the likeliness of any improvement.

The "likeliness of any improvement" falls into 3 categories: (1) Likely to improve--so they review you after a year; (2) Possibility of some improvement--so they review you in 3 years, and (3) Not likely to improve--so they review you in 7 years.

I wish you the very best, and if I can be of help--just post to catgal. Blessings, Carol....
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I think it was the same doctor that did both exams.On the physical one,I was having a very bad day.The fibrofog was very bad.I couldn't sit on the taBLE.He said that he was sending the file like it was.It's about a 5 inch file.

I'm sorry about all your physical problems.my husband had a stroke 6 years ago.Thanks again,Linda