Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ethel, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ethel

ethel New Member

Tax time is getting near and I was wondering if you have to claim your disability on your taxes? If someone knows the answer will he or she please tell me?

Thanks,
    Connie
  2. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

You didnt specify if its a work disability or governement and if US or Canada. Im on Canadian CPP disability and you do have to claim it. I have them tax me monthly so Im not hit year end. When I was on my work disability I did not have to claim taxes. Im from Canada so US may be different. Hope this helps
    poodlemum
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

for US:

It is according on how much your total income is, I think.

If I remember correctly, there is a formula that you do and it will indicate after completion what, if any, if you have to pay.

It is the same way with regular Social Security.

I file a 1040 form and I always have to pay on my SSDI, but I also receive a company pension and my hubby still works.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Sorry, but there ARE cases where you DO have to pay taxes on your SSDI -- maybe not SSI, but you do on SSDI.

I do pay taxes on part of my SSDI!

If I have a chance and remember, I will get out my last year's tax return and tell you the rule and line that it is put on, if you like.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Maybe we are all confused about which type of disability each other is talking about!

I am talking about Social Security's SSDI, which is for people who have worked enough to have the number of required credits to get disability through Social Security if they become disabled; SSI is the government's (Social Security's) program for low income people who are disabled and unable to work. You are not allowed to have over $2,000 in assets in order to collect SSI.

Now .... I am retired and draw a pension from my employer; I also draw SSDI because I am disabled and not old enough to draw regular Social Security. THEY DO TAKE MONTHLY TAX DEDUCTIONS OUT OF MY SSDI CHECK, AND I DO PAY TAXES ON IT; HOWEVER, if your income is low enough, you do not have to pay taxes on it. With my pension and my SSDI, along with my husband's income (we file a joint) we make more than the amount allowed to not pay taxes, therefore, we must pay taxes on a portion of my SSDI.

It is 1:00 am and I just now got on the computer for a few minutes and don't have time to look up the rule, and forgot about it earlier in the day, or I would quote the tax rule.

You must be drawing some type of STATE disability.

Does this clear things up now?
  6. ethel

ethel New Member

Thanks for all the help with my question. I have
    social security disability, not old enough for social security but when I am it will change over to social security. My husband and I file jointly on our taxes so I figure we have to much money and I will have to pay in.
    Monthly disability isn't that much but I received about 13,000 in back pay. So figure we are going to pay dearly for that.

Thanks for your help,
    Connie