Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rhonda1549, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Rhonda1549

Rhonda1549 New Member

How does someone go about getting disability for FMS? does a Dr. have to help you or can you do this for yourself? My Dr. is really inexperienced with this sort of thing. He is young. Any help appreciated
  2. Rhonda1549

Rhonda1549 New Member

How does someone go about getting disability for FMS? does a Dr. have to help you or can you do this for yourself? My Dr. is really inexperienced with this sort of thing. He is young. Any help appreciated
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

The best place to start, in my opinion, is on the home page of this site. You can click on disability and get a good overview of what is available and what the requirements are to get it.

You will need the support of your doc, but his inexperience does not have to be a hindrance. He needs to send detailed notes indicating what tests have been done to dx your FM (rule out other causes)and how it is causing you to be unable to hold any full-time job.

After that you can get started. You can also type in disability at the top of this page and do a search of former posts about the subject. It has been discussed MANY times here!

Good luck. I'm in the middle of it now.

Barbara
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Rhonda,
    Your doctor will need to help with the paperwork. If you go to the top of the screen you will see a spot to "Search Messages". Type in "disability" or "Social Security" and you will uncover a wealth of information that will help you. You can also go to the home page and click on disability for more articles. I just applied in August, so I won't know if I get it until at least December, but I have my fingers crossed for myself and all the others who are trying for it. You say that your doctor is young. That probably means that he is willing to learn. If that is the case, you are very fortunate. A lot of the older doctors do not believe that FMS is a real, and very disabling condition. Print out everything that you find that looks appropriate and take copies to your doctor. Write down EVERY symptom that you have that can be attributed to your FMS, and be sure to keep a copy for yourself. You will need it when you do the semi load of paperwork that SS sends you. I am sort of learning as I go. Best of luck to you.
    Kathryn