disabled often overlooked

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Oct 23, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Something that has really been bugging me lately is the way people with disabilities are treated, and I don't mean in the obvious areas.....I mean even when compared to other special populations....things like the various social services designed to help the elderly & children (but that leave out the disabled or make it nearly impossible for them to be able to utilize such services), things like the talks of health care reform that include discussion of the impact on the elderly and children, the poor, etc (but almost nothing about the impact on disabled), things like the circuit breaker grant (which does actually cover disabled people, but is only ever mentioned on sites for the elderly, so very few disabled people are even aware of it), things like the various places where one can get lower prices for things if one is elderly or a student, but not if disabled (movies, museums, even driver's licenses, etc, etc, etc), and I am sure that there are other things that I am forgetting at the moment

I have nothing against helping out the elderly, children, etc.....but why them and not those with disabilities? It is esp significant when you consider that the majority of people on disability are living on significantly less than the majority of elderly people (SS pays based on how much you have been able to work and put in towards it, so those who have retired generally get more than those who are disabled before retirement)....not to mention that many people on disability can't get out and do much, so it's not like they will be overly taking advantage of a lot of that stuff, and if someone with a disability goes somewhere, there is a good chance that he/she won't be able to even get as much use out of it as someone else (even if it is accessible)bc he/she will get worn out faster or bc there will still be areas that are not accessible

This started bugging me when I saw that the cost for driver's license renewal just tripled for my state. It is now $30. If you are under 21 or over 68, it is only $5. Once you are much older, you have to renew it more often, but that still only makes it cost $10 over the 4 yrs when it would cost someone else $30. When you are even older it goes down more bc it has to be renewed every yr,but that is when you are a lot older, and even then it would still only be $8 for 4 yrs. That may not seem like much, but when you are disabled and living on very, very little, $30 is a big deal.

After finding out about that, I started thinking about all the other places that such disparity exists, and there are an awful lot of them, and they do add up. And some places, esp outdoors places, can only be made somewhat accessible. So, someone who cannot walk around cannot enjoy most of the place. So, why should they have to pay the full amount?

I realize that I am not even in good enough health to be able to go much of anywhere these days, but I still find the whole thing unfair and just not rt. I think it bothers more though, bc it seems to be representative of the general attitude towards people with disabilities. No not everyone, but a lot of people either forget about us all together or they look down on us and somehow seem to think that we are not as worthy as the rest of the population, even the other special populations. Until I got sick I was sad about the way many people treat the elderly &/or forget about them, and I still find it sad, but now I realize that people with disabilities seem to get treated even worse.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2009]
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I agree with what you're saying. I am now on Soc. Sec. because I'm 69 years old but I've been ill with CFS/FM since I was 38. I find that it is easier to get help now being over 65. My husband and I were talking about this recently. I don't know how younger people with this illness (and other disabilities) can make it financially.

There seems to be little help and the supplemental that they get is pitifully low. Also, the assisted living places are for older folks only in most cases. More definitely needs to be done for the younger disabled. Especially those who live alone and have no family, savings, or other resources. Where do they turn? GB66
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I see it every day. I'm not allowed to get food or help at the senior center across street because I'm only 40 years old. And I have to watch everyone in the building go over there for lunch and help, but I'm not allowed.

I got sick way before I was able to build up a real work history. So I get in very little and it's just not right.

Most laws are geared toward healthy people with physical handicaps. They are not geared toward physically ILL people. And there is a huge difference there.
  4. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

The subtle, and not so subtle, discrimination against the disabled is deeply disturbing.
  5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

You are so very 100 % correct.

Cost of everything goes up and i am scrimping the way it is. I'm not starving but who knows what can happen in the very near future.

It is all very sad that one whom may look well to others, is very much disabled. i hear it all too much. Thankgoodness i have a understanding doctor but to all others i really don't care what they think anymore. i've had enough hurtful words towards me and i know i have to survive for me. Society can be cruel towards the disabled to some extent.

As you mention the cost of $30 renewal license , it will get to the point if we can't pay it we won't drive. This list will go on and on cause we simply won't have the money to do and have as a person not disabled and working with regular paychecks. I had always worked 2 jobs full time and partime until i could no longer work at all. I do with what i now have , scrimp and survive on little. I apologize for rambling on here but this is the facts for the disabled.

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The main problem is, when people think of someone disabled, they think of someone in a wheelchair who is HEALTHY, but just can't walk. That person can still work a desk job and go out to dinner and have a real life. This is what people think of when they think disabled. So they don't think disabled people need much because they can still work.

People don't realize that there are people who are very physically ILL who absolutely cannot work and really need help.

A healthy person who can't walk doesn't get all the symptoms we get. They don't have a million immune system problems and cognitive problems. They feel just fine, they just can't walk. And society is only geared toward those people. I don't know if it's because diseases like ours are new or what, but no one has kept up with the times and we don't get recognition for being sick disabled people at all.

This is what I can never make healthy people understand. We look okay, but we are very, very sick and we are disabled from it. We need a hundred times the help that just a physically handicapped person needs.

If all you need to do to have a life is use a wheelchair or a cane or some other special device, it's not the same as being too sick to leave your apartment or stand up or sit up. It's not the same as never knowing what day you will feel so faint you can't get up or what day you will have the cognitive symptoms so badly that you can't remember anything and you have trouble speaking or understanding what is being said to you.

Society doesn't seem to care about those of us who are chronically ill, they only care about people who can still work, even from a wheelchair. They figure that their version of a disabled person can work, so they don't need help. And those of us who are sick are just left to rot in the dust.

There is very little help for a sick person who is under 65 or 60. We don't have a center to go to where we can get help and eat for free everyday. We don't get the discounts seniors get. What would they like young sick people to do?
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

is that people don't understand the difference between disability and chronic illness. We sick people are lumped in with the handicapped, and like someone said we are disabled because we are sick.

You're right, AuntTammie, there just isn't much help out there for us. Many of us are too young to qualify for any real help. Is there anything we can do to change this? Where do we
    even start?

It will be interesting to see what everyone has to say about this. Thanks for posting this.

Fay
  8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

for all the responses.....I am not really feeling up to responding to each one individually rt now .....sorry, but I did read them and appreciate them....and you all made some more good points, esp re: the difference between other disabilities and being sick

and I really wish that I knew where to start to try to do something about this....I would assume that writing to senators and other representatives would be the way to go, but unless it was a large grp effort, I doubt it would do much good

it is really ridiculous, though......it's one more thing that makes me feel like I don't matter and like I am invisible (& forgotten by almost all)....and the financial aspects of being this sick, this young, and possibly for the rest of my life are so scary.....I know I have talked about that part before, but it is really getting to me....I have no idea how I will make it

and the idea of not having a license is scary, too.....I cannot get by if I can't drive - I don't drive much at all now, bc I can't, but I have to be able to get to the grocery store at the very least....and a few other places, too.....and having groceries delivered is not an option bc it adds to the cost
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm in the same situation. I only drive about twice a month, and if there's a prescript to be picked up or a doc visit. I can't go out more than every ten days. I want to keep the car, but I'm very scared of what will happen. I won't be able to afford car repairs. So the minute they try to get me for real money, that's it. I feel like it's the Sword of Damocles over my head.

I can't take a bus. I can't walk to the bus stops and many of those stops have no bench to sit on. I would never make it trying to stand waiting an hour. Cabs are expensive. They do have some kind of shuttle bus I qualify for, but they don't come on time and you are in the same situation of trying to wait somewhere. If I can't sit, I'm dead. I could literally end up on the ground.

My biggest annual expenses are the car things. The reg renewal, the car insurance, the license renewal, the inspection and oil change. And who knows what repairs. And I can't afford any of it. I feel very stuck. And I have no one but one friend and she can't always take me places.
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it's crazy that bus stops near you don't have seats....this made me think, though, have you ever thought about or tried to get a walker - they make ones with seats (& medicare covers them if your dr writes a script).....I hate that I need one, but I don't always need it....when I do use it, though it makes me feel a little better knowing that I have a seat I can use if I need to....it's not exactly comfortable or for sitting on for a long time, but it is still better than nothing (& it's a lot easier to get in and out of a car than a wheelchair)

I don't even live near public transportation, my parents sometimes help, but they live a ways away, and now they are going to be spending several months in Fl (my brother lives there) so they won't be able to help at all.....cannot afford a cab, don't really have friends that can help except maybe once in a long while.....and I had to laugh when you mentioned needing a car to get to the Dr - that's obviously one of the main reasons I need a car, too, and yet my brilliant foggy brain completely forgot that when I was talking about cars earlier! (and yeah, there are certainly a lot of other expenses associated with having a car - the license renewal is actually the least expensive.....it is just that when seniors get it for so much less and it just tripled in cost and EVERY extra cost - heck even every normal cost- is too much, it stinks)