Disappearing language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Jan 26, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I have been through the mill since tying the knot after sparking when I was between hay and grass, only to find I am too often at sea with bees in my bonnet, feathers in my cap, and axes to grind as well. So, if you hold your horses, I reckon I'll get this whole kit and caboodle done and sent off to you just as soon as I red up the house.

Please don't be too persnickety and bark at any knots, because I'm no spring chicken anymore. I promise I haven't been jawboning, piddling around, in the hoosegow, or just stringin' around, and that's pert near the truth!

I know I'm not the only duck in the pond, but while I have no axes to grind, I've too many irons in the fire as usual. I admit I have been known to bark up the wrong tree to try to get rid of the bad egg or 2 while doing things with a lick and a promise.

Depending on your age and what part of the country (or even what country) you came from, a little to nothing may have been understood by you...

- Hide quoted text -
    'I'll just give this a lick and a promise,' my mother said as she quickly mopped up a spill on the floor without moving any of the furniture.
    - Hide quoted text -
    'What is that supposed to mean,' I asked as in my young mind I envisioned someone licking the floor with his or her tongue.
    'It means that I'm in a hurry and I'm busy canning tomatoes so I am going to just give it a lick with the mop and promise to come back and do the job right later.
    'A lick and a promise' was just one of the many old phrases that our mothers, grandmothers, and others used that they probably heard from the generations before them. With the passing of time, many old phrases become obsolete or even disappear. This is unfortunate because some of them are very appropri-ate and humorous. Here is a list of some of those memorable old phrases:

1. A Bone to Pick (someone who wants to discuss a disagreement)
    2. An Axe to Grind (Someone who has a hidden motive. This phrase is said to have originated from Benjamin Franklin who told a story about a devious man who asked how a grinding wheel worked. He ended up walking away with his axe sharpened free of charge)
    3. One bad apple spoils the whole barrel (one corrupt person can cause all the others to go bad if you don't remove the bad one)
    4. At sea (lost or not understanding something)
    5. Bad Egg (Someone who was not a good person)
    6. Barking at a knot (meaning that your efforts were as useless as a dog barking at a knot.)
    7. Barking up the wrong tree (talking about something that was completely the wrong issue with the wrong person)
    8. Bee in your bonnet (To have an idea that won't let loose )
    9. Been through the mill (had a rough time of it)
    10. Between hay and grass (Not a child or an adult)
    11. Blinky (Between sweet and sour as in milk)
    12. 13. Catawampus (Something that sits crooked such as a piece of furniture sitting at an angle)
    14. Dicker (To barter or trade)
    15. Feather in Your Cap (to accomplish a goal. This came from years ago in wartime when warriors might receive a feather they would put in their cap for defeating an enemy)
    16. Hold your horses (Be patient!)
    17. Hoosegow (a jail)
    18. I reckon (I suppose)
    19. Jawing/Jawboning (Talking or arguing)
    20. Kit and caboodle (The whole thing)
    21. Madder than an wet hen (really angry)
    22. Needs taken down a notch or two (like notches in a belt usually a young person who thinks too highly of himself and needs a lesson)
    23. No Spring Chicken (Not young anymore)
    24. Persnickety (overly particular or snobbish)
    25. Pert-near (short for pretty near)
    26. Pretty is as pretty does (your actions are more important than your looks)
    27. Red up (clean the house)
    28. Scalawag (a rascal or unprincipled person)
    29. Scarce as hen's teeth (something difficult to obtain)
    30. Skedaddle (Get out of here quickly)
    31. Sparking (courting)
    32. Straight From the Horse's Mouth (privileged information from the one concerned)
    33. Stringing around, gallivanting around, or piddling (Not doing anything of value)
    34. Sunday go to meetin' dress (The best dress you had)
    35. We wash up real fine (is another goodie)
    36. Tie the Knot (to get married)
    37. Too many irons in the fire (to be involved in too many things)
    38. Tuckered out (tired and all worn out)
    39. Under the weather (not feeling well this term came from going below deck on ships due to sea sickness thus you go below or under the weather)
    40. Wearing your 'best bib and tucker' (Being all dressed up)
    41. You ain't the only duck in the pond (It's not all about you)

LOL I bet y'all can add a lot to this list!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You always find interesting, or funny, stuff to post.

I remember all but three of these from my childhood.

Here are a couple my mother used to say when some appliance wouldn't work.
    It's "outta kilter" or "on the fritz".

Some years ago I said, "Hunkey dorey" to a store clerk. She said, "What
    does that mean?"

I said, "Okee Dokee".

3. victoria

victoria New Member

I'd love to see what someone from England or Australia or NZ or Canada can add.....
  4. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

My mom is from NZ and she use to say "and Bob's your uncle" which means "and that's it!"

5. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I feel as tho I'm a day late and a dollar short contributing to this post.I've been pondering over a few sayings but since haste makes waste I've been minding my p's and q's.Anyway, I'll try to make hay while the sunshines...because a stitch in time saves nine,but since I've already been minding my p's and q's ,I guess that saying is just six of one half a dozen of another! Hope you are all feeling fit as a fiddle Jeanne
  6. rockgor

Good work all-round.

You all win a blue ribbon, take the cake, are cute as a button and bright as a new penny.

And now, for bonus points:

1) In what famous movie do we hear the song "Fit as a Fiddle and Ready for Love"?

2) What is the term for the expressions seen above?

7. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

However, I cheated and called my Mom. She thinks the movie is "Singing in the Rain". Jeanne
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

and keep coming up empty. I'd best stop lollygagging around here and get stuck in to some hard graft and use some elbow grease! Could someone knock me up in the morning because the early bird catches the worm.

[This Message was Edited on 01/27/2009]
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

You would cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Jumping from thr frying pan into the fire.
    Haste makes waste.

But the one for today is: buy now pay later!
  10. rockgor

Singin' in the Rain and idioms are write with Eversharp!
    Very good Cate and Jeanne. And next time, let's not always
    see the same hands.

You can see Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelley dancin' and fiddlin' on Youtube.

Eversharp was the first mechanical pencil. It sponsored a radio
    quiz program when I was a kid. If the contestant gave the right
    answer, the emcee yelled, "Write w/ Eversharp."

I'm up kinda early. Awakened by the crack of dawn, I guess.

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

"Knock me up" is a Brit thing meaning to knock on the door to wake someone up. My mother used it with a neighbour on one of our first days in Canada. :eek:) Very quickly thereafter, she engaged a telephone wake-up service. :eek:)

If you're wondering why she didn't simply get an alarm clock, she did. We had alarm clocks. Mother was very anxious.

Oh! Watching the view as I write and there is a very hunky Irish actor on who just said: get a leg up!

peace out

ETA The hunk is Jason O'Mara

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2009]
  12. teacher

teacher New Member

Ya'll should never get this old girl started. She'll can go on on a mile a minute! Her momma will even tell you that she's got more mouth than a hound dog's got ears.

Well what you do expect from a teacher? You HAVE to have a mouth like a bell clapper!

13. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

O.K. Put your money where your mouth is,but don't get on your high hoarse re this post..I mean to each his own but claiming to have a mouth like a bell clapper is really putting you between a rock and a hard place because this is coming straight from the horse's mouth..I'm all ears! Jeanne
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

and my new reason for not remembering things is cuz I have toys in my attic, wheeeee! so much more fun that way!

15. teacher

teacher New Member

Your feet don't fit on no limb! You just don't believe that fat meat's greasy, but you'll learn one day that a hard head makes a soft behind. You just best watch yourself or I'll give you what for!

It took me YEARS to unravel the feet reference. My grandmother said that all the time.

Anytime you kept repeating the word "who" to in a conversation becasue you missed the name of the person she was speaking about, she would never answer you. Stubborn as aa mule, she was! She'd finally look at you and say "Your feet don't fit no limb." and that was the end of the conversation. Basically she was calling you a bird-brain. Owls say "whoo" and sit on tree branches.

Are ya'll getting the idea that I got in trouble a lot for my constant talking as a child? That would be a correct assumption. lol
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

Fun post Victoria!

Almost the whole Cigar===comming in second place.

Don't count your chickens before their hatched==this one is self exsplanitory.

Pedal to the Medal===speeding.

Be seen and not heard====a law for kids.
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Your "who" story reminds me of something my mother used to say when I said, "she" which my mother considered the height of rudeness. She would give me the look I imagine on your grandmother's face and say:
    Who's she, the cat's aunt?

Fellow former chatterbox,

ETA I mean, Mother would give me a look! LOL

[This Message was Edited on 01/29/2009]
  18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You guys are as smart as a whip.

Come hell or high water, I am going to find more of these idioms despite my brain being one beer short of a six pack. Drastic times call for drastic measures and I will prevail.

I guess I am just an old fuddy-duddy getting long in the tooth, whose memory has been flushed down the toilet. The lights are on but nobodys home.

So hold your horses, as I am trying very hard to think out of the box. However, it is anyone’s call, how many I will come up with.

I guess I will have to pass the buck and let you youngins think of some more.

To make a long story short, I will keep thinking and hopefully the third time has charm. I hope I have not repeated what other people have posted. It is not my intention to steal anyone's thunder and that is straight from the horses mouth.

Twenty three skidoo!!!!

19. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I'm really enjoying this post. I'll have to pick my brain and dust out the cobwebs to come up with more idioms. If you catch my drift! Jeanne

BILLCAMO New Member

has many possibilities......

But , for us with these DDs , I think it often can mean that the "fog has rolled in"..... ;>0......:>).......LOL

Blessings ,