Disappointed in first Physical Therapy Appointment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I had my first physical therapy appointment today and I have to admit I was disappointed.

My therapist came into the examining room and went over a brief history of my Fibro and stated I seem to be handling it all very well. How could she come to this conclusion when she had just met me 5 minutes before. I told her some days are better than others but today I was a little eager to learn what the therapy could do for me.

She proceeded to ask how would I rate my pain from the scale 0 being no pain to 10 being unbearable. Before I could answer she said she had another fibro patient that came in only once and rated her pain a level 10.

She said a 10 is being unrealistic and if someone was in that much pain they wouldn't be sitting there with her. Trust me it hit me in the face and I told her there was no way you could know how much pain someone is in and maybe to him/her they could be.

We stepped outside in the workout room and she evaluated my hands, arms, neck, back, hips, legs, and feet. She told me I needed to exercise everyday because fibro even though there is no cure is relieved with exercise and aerobics.

I am suppose to go three times a week and my next appt. is scheduled with her on Friday.

Sorry to ramble but wanted to share with all of you.

Love & Hugs,
    Carolin
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carolin,
    I"m sorry your first appointmenmt wasn't satisfctory. However, it might be a blessing in disguise.

A feeling that your therapist is opionated and pre-judgmejntal could be a sign that you are with the wrong therapiset. When a therapist doesn't have comapssion and doesn't really try to understand, in order to help,- to me, it is a sign that I'm with the wrong person.

I didn't listen to my gut feeling, once, and ended up not being helped, being humiliated and being charged for services that were not done. Regarding the last, I found the bogus charges, but I doubt my insurance was refunded. Later on, I found a great therapist who was honest, competent, and open minded.

Good luck,
    Terry

3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sorry it ended up that way.

Maybe she was just trying to give you her scale of 1-10? If you go back see what she means. I was in the hospital once and they gave me a chart with pictures to describe the pain. Kind of funny but effective.

When I went to my neuro he ended with "walk every day" I think I looked at him like he was from Mars. My BIGGEST complaint is my feet! LOL...

Take care,
    Susan07
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I went to PT amd found it helpful. However he asked me what I wanted out of PT. I said I wanted to be taught how to do proper stretching amd mild exercise so I did not harm myself.

Even doing this gentle regime, I threw up the first couple of times because of the pain. If you don't feel they are giving you good advice, don't take it. Maybe the other lady with Fibro that didn't come back tells you something.

5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I think it's just as important for a PT to put her patients at ease as for a doctor - maybe more so, because you shouldn't be tense when she works on you.

I strongly agree with those who say you should look for a better fit. How did you find this one?
  6. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

They're kind of the gym teachers in a championship sports world. They get paid like crap and mostly they deal with out of shape whiners who have injuries.

I may be being harsh, but in the three times I've gone, I've had no constructive help with reguards to joint protection for RA or sensitivity with fibro.

For one thing they wanted me to do three times a week, which is horrible with fibro. I'm not sure why there is this schedule except for the convenience of the therapist. Or maybe it's ordered by your doctor. It seems to me that a slower course would be much better.

Ask a lot of questions and find out if you can go to someone else. Preferrably someone who knows about fibro.

Abbycat
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I agree I think she was a sign I need to get a new one...LOL. I guess I became next in line for her but after this visit I will ask for another PT. She did say one other PT that works there use to run a pain clinic and was now working for them as a PT.

Once she made that comment and seen the look on my face she said I know I just stuck my foot in my mouth..Slightly.

I told her fibro sufferers suffer enough trying to find a doctor to believe them and when they do they surely don't need someone else doubting them in the medical field.

One good thing did come out of this visit and she said I would receive my TENS unit on Friday and she would teach me how to use it. I have heard some good results with this.

I did ask her if they had many other Fibro patients and she said no they are rare. It was clear to me she didn't understand.

Thanks again to all of you that responded and I will keep you updated.

Love & Hugs,
    Carolin
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Carolin:

I did not have any luck with PT either. They seemed to have no concept of what to do with a fibro patient.

nyrofan
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I had a wonderful response to PT and myofascial release....but not initially.

Your therapist might have been referring to the fact it is rare to have a Fibro patient in physical therapy, not that fibro patients are rare.

In the facility I went to, we were certainly a very tiny percentage of their patient load.

As a matter of fact, I was first that hung in so long and because of that, the therapists said they learned a lot from me.

I did almost quit, had a tearful discussion with the therapist why the program was not working. He took what I said, asked me what I thought would work and ran with that.

The process turned me around (I thought I would have to quit work, drop out of life so to speak) and it also changed how they approached fibro patients. They told me they never had a patient so in-tuned with their body. (Hence why I chose my board name.)

If you do not see, in your therapist, an ability to listen to you, do find another.

Love, June