Disastrous health care

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I hope I do not offend anyone with the comments I am about to make, but I think it addresses some real issues which effect all of us.

I have a lot of problems, along with FM, which is enough by itself, with all the hormone, etc. we have.

I have also become quite obese.

However, I was an RN, Advanced Nurse Practitioner and a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) for almost 26 years before I became disabled. I can tell you that I am now so much prouder of the quality of care I gave than I was at the time, and I realize now THAT IT WAS MUCH, MUCH BETTER THAN I EVEN THOUGHT.

I have been having sinus infections. Frankly, I think that taking the three month Nystatin course for yeast from the FCC made them worse. It is a vicious cycle, treat the yeast and bacteria go crazy. Treat the bacteria and the yeast go crazy.

However, after two courses and no cure, I went back, saw the PA, whom I love, at my Internist and she gave me Levaquan samples with the instructions to take twice a day. I did it. Then, I realized that they would last only six days, and checked and it was only to be taken once a day and I didn't have enough. E-mailed the pharmacy refill nurse for the group. I love my internist, but as the group has gotten larger, and the nurses have to handle more and more dealing with okays from insurance, etc. it is nearly impossible to get anything FAST.

By the time this RN got my refill, despite my having e-mailed her and the RN for my doc, and for the PA, it was three days late getting to me and now the sinus infection has returned.

However, my real problem is a serious one.

I have a family history of colon cancer, a BIG ONE. I had four polyps just a year ago, but surprisingly, essentially no diverticulum, which for my weight and being AMERICAN, as well as my age, 54, is surprising. So, it was time for my colonoscopy and I had noticed a little red bleeding. Off to the colon doctor, who was an hour late, they wouldn't give me the paperwork to do my medical update while I was waiting, they finally put me in the room, still no paperwork, and then she came in, took a short verbal, and wanted to do a procto in the office. Quite frankly, why the procto? We were going to do a colonoscopy in ten days? It is purely financial.

Then, I had to go off everything, my ASA, my osteo chondroitin, ALL MY HERBAL supplements, including E and B, my Voltaren, which I had been placed on for terrible tendonitis in my elbow, and wait it out. We scheduled it, but they wanted me to fill out my medical then. I told them flat, they had delayed me by almost two hours by that time, as I had the delay in the waiting room, the room, and the delay in speaking with the scheduler and I HAD ANOTHER DOCTOR APPOINTMENT. She got huffy, I told her to stick the huffy, and that I would fill it out and fax it, which I did, but forgot to fax.

I went into a terrible flair. EVERY INCH HURT, I COULD BARELY RISE OUT OF A CHAIR, COULDN'T WALK VERY WELL. My knees went bad, by hips went bad, my arms went bad. My hands went at the metacarparals, the two index fingers swelled at one joint, I was in horrible, horrible pain, was exhausted, couldn't sleep, and could only take tylenol, which is what I usually take, but it did not help.

I had not sent in the form, but I had just gotten medical and cardiac clearance for a gastric banding, like a procto is going to catch anything medical? I AM A MEDICAL REALIST.

They sent me to an outpatient surgery center with which I was not acquainted. The center didn't call until 4 p.m. the day before the procedure, and left a message and I couldn't get them when I called back. BAD FORM.

I had faxed the medical form to the office that day which was a no-no, but I offered to delay for a week if necessary. She called back and told me to pre-treat with Clindamycin, which I keep on hand for dental, anyway, and I said will do.

I started the prep with phospho soda, as directed. I am telling you that I started vomiting from that stuff. It is nasty, but vomiting? Then the diarrhea started, with the vomiting, tried to drink, as I was supposed to but vomited. I was up all night ghastly ill and exhausted.

Reported to the Surgi Center and TOLD THEM I WAS IMMENSELY DEHYDRATED AND NEEDED SOME IV FLUIDS, LOTS OF IV FLUIDS. I WAS FEELING DREADFUL.

Told the RN who started my IV and prepared me THE SAME THING. I was DEHYDRATED. SHE EVEN SAID SO WHEN SHE STARTED THE IV.

TOLD THE RN THAT TOOK CARE OF ME THE SAME THING.

Now, let me add one thing. I EXPECTED ANESTHESIA MONITORING. I am MORBIDLY OBESE WITH SLEEP APNEA and I want someone monitoring my airway. THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANESTHESIA. THEY HAD AN RN. Well, I am not an elitist, but most RN's aren't trained to give Anesthesia drugs and I expected Versed and Fentanyl. Just a little of both. I had it before, it is rapid acting, it wears off fast, is SUPERB FOR THE PURPOSE, and DOESN'T MAKE ME ILL.

Instead, they insisted on Versed and DEMEROL. DEMEROL IS A CRAPPY DRUG, PERIOD, BUT FOR THAT PURPOSE IT IS DREADFUL. It is the best BARF inducer I know. It is not particularly good for pain, it ISN'T. Even IV, it takes several times longer than Fentanyl to take effect, isn't as effective, and lasts A LOT LONGER THAN NEEDED. It makes you GROGGY AND MAKES YOU WANT TO PUKE, ESPECIALLY ME. I only gave the stuff for one reason. If patients shiver, as they sometimes do coming out of anesthesia, when they have become cold in the OR, or after delivery SHIVERING IS MISERABLE, AND IT INCREASES OXYGEN CONSUMPTION SEVERAL TIMES OVER, WHICH IS BAD. I would give 25 mg. IV slowly and it STOPS THE SHIVERS. It does that because it vasodilates people. ONE DOES NOT WANT TO VASODILATE SOMEONE DEHYDRATED WHO ISN'T SHIVERING. Demerol, however, is DIRT CHEAP.

Remember I had told them I was dehydrated. Vasodilating someone dehydrated means that one opens up the venous system and that means that even less blood is fed back to the heart, to be pumped out. For shivering, in a patitient who isn't dehydrated, then that is not a problem, but for an obese, dehydrated, individual with mitral valve regurg, that IS A NO-NO.

Yet, THEY DID IT, BECAUSE THEY GIVE IT TO EVERYBODY. SINCE WHEN IS THE SAME THING APPROPRIATE FOR EVERYBODY?

I tried to be little Miss getalong and shut up. Then, I kept telling the nurse in the RR I needed MORE IV FLUIDS, TO WHICH SHE SMILED AND DID NOTHING BUT WALK OFF. ADDitinally, THEY didn't give me so much as a sip of water, which is a must, to see whether you are going to need something to treat nausea. Now, I told them I had been vomiting all night long, so there was a reasonable assumption I might vomit again, BUT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW BECAUSE THAT WOULD KEEP ME THERE LONGER, AND REQUIRE SOME CARE, AND THAT WOULD CLOG UP THEIR LITTLE ASSEMBLY LINE.

This is the first and LAST TIME I have ever seen this happen.

I went home, became nauseous, had great difficulty in drinking the liquids I really needed, tried some jello, apple juice, ginger ale, dry toast, everything but had to just take tiny amounts. I needed the glucose and the liquids but really couldn't keep enough in.

This went on through the night, and into the next day, and I was struggling, trying to eat white rice, chicken broth, and liquids, with little success, feeling worse all the time. The Center called and wanted to know how I was feeling. I told them AWFUL. I was having trouble getting down fluids, continued to have liquid diarrhea, and was so dehydrated I had stoped forming urine. They told me to force liquids. DON'T THESE PEOPLE LISTEN?

THEY SAID WELL, IF IT GETS WORSE TRY TO GET HOLD OF THE DOCTOR. FAT CHANCE OF THAT. I called the office between sitting on the commode, then got disconnected. Called back, and dropped the phone while on hold, and good luck at getting it back.

I was exhausted, could barely walk and then I started chilling. Shaking terribly.

I knew it was ER time. My husband arrived home, I had to change, as I was awful from the diarrhea and vomiting, changed, took stuff with me, protected the car, and could barely walk into the ER with his assistance. Was interviewed by someone who didn't even know half the medical terms I answered with.

They put me in a wheelchair, despite me telling them I was an RN and I needed IV FLUIDS LIKE NOW, was shivering, and had a fever. Made me wait for two and a half hours in a room with all these INFECTIOUS PEOPLE IN A WHEELCHAIR. COUGHING, HACKING, and I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO HACK SOME PEOPLE, BUT THEY WERE ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS. I GO TO A NICE, PRIVATE HOSPITAL WITH A PRIVATE INSURANCE PLAN AND MEDICARE AS MY SECONDARY, and all these illegal aliens who only speak Spanish are in there. Mind you, they had cell phones, gold jewelry, but NO INSURANCE, AND PROBABLY TEN DIFFERENT ID'S AND NO INTENTION OF PAYING FOR THEIR CARE.

Finally, my legs, from my four discs in my back, were numb and my feet on fire. I had my husband go tell them that and that I had TO HAVE A STRETCHER TO LIE DOWN ON. I DIDN'T CARE IF IT WAS OUTSIDE THE DOOR TO THE ROOM I WAS IN. I COULDNT' SIT IN A WHEELCHAIR. I had been there for all that time, and they hadn't even drawn my blood, with my shivering and chilling and white, and I do mean white as w sheet.

Finally, they drew my blood in the hall, on the stretcher, in front of the nursing station. THEY DIDN'T HAVE A SPOT IN ANY EXAMINATION ROOM. I am so afraid my diarrhea is going to come, I HAVEN'T MADE URINE, WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS FOR 12 HOURS BY THEN, AND I AM IN THE HALLWAY. They started an IV, finally. Then the labwork came back and I was so dehydrated, as I said. My tongue was sticking to my roof of my mouth. I was running a fever, chilling, on a stretcher not big enough for my butt, and I have to lie on my side, no back with my back. NO PILLOW. COULDNT' FIND ME ONE. THIS IS A SWANKY, SUPPOSEDLY, HOSPITAL AND NO PILLOW.

I lie there watching this circus. I also see them bringing in all these illegals to be triaged. IT TOOK THREE STAFF TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. The one caring for them, the doctor evaluating, and then they would have to stop staff, taking them from caring for their patients, to interpret. Even then, it took twice, or three times as long to go back and forth. Then, they got stretchers and an exam room.

Finally, a doctor saw me an hour and a half after hitting the stretcher, which was about four and a half hours after being there. I had received less than a liter of Iv fluids. She apologized immensely, and said they had absolutely nowhere to put me. The hospital has 141 beds and they had 50 extra patients stuffed in. I needed to be admitted, get IV fluids for 24 hours and be monitored. I asked to be tranferred to another hospital. She said good luck. The Houston Medical Center, downtown, has 35,000 beds, and they were having trouble getting beds. The three suburban hospitals, which are all private, in our area, were full to bursting.
    I asked her how many of those patients there at that hospital were illegal aliens without insurance and she winced but said more than half. The Country hosital, where we pay taxes for the unisured was overloaded and awful and the illegals just present ONE OF THEIR MANY ALIAS' and get in the hospital and NEVER PAY. They know that, so they go to the really nice places now. MIND YOU THEY HAD GOLD ON, CELL PHONES, EXPENSIVE SHOES, ETC. BUT ALIAS' AND NO INSURANCE, AND NO ENGLISH.

I WAS JUST TERRIBLY BUMMED. I am a humanitarian, but THESE PEOPLE, HERE ILLEGALLY, ARE ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF THE CITIZENS.

She said that she would try to get me a bed in another hospital. I called three of them myself, after an hour, from my bed, with just the second IV going in. I called and told them I was with the hospital, had a nurse who needed IV therapy, INSURANCE, and a bed. None of them had one.

No ice chips, which she had said I could have, IF MY HUSBAND GOT THEM, BUT NO ICE IN THE ICE MACHINE. ASKED FOR ANOTHER BLANKET. SURE. NO WAY. I was cramping and worrying ABOUT BEING INCONTINENT out in the hall.

Finally, rolled over on the other side, as that side had had enough and managed to sleep with a towel under my head for an hour. Had to turn, everything was simply painful. Help turning? Moved the bed from the wall, and I had to manage to turn myself. All I needed was a maneuver where they give the patient an arm and the patient uses it as leverage to turn. NO lifting or anything, but no. I had to do it myself, hurting my back.

Then, the cramping, and could I have a bedpan or at least a pad? Sure hon. NADA. Then, I coughed, and liquid diarrhea inundated me, the bed, the wall, the floor. IN THE HALLWAY. Now humiliating.

The nurse stopped, and said why didn't you go to the bathroom? Well, they took my wheelchair, and I was too weak to walk that far, and I had asked for a bedpan, to use it right in the hall 30 minutes before. She said she would get me somewhere to have someone help me clean up. Twenty minutes later, she brought me a wheelchair, a patient gown, and disposal things to clean MYSELF WITH IN THE BATHROOM. NO place to put me for privacy but that.

MY HUSBAND HAD TO HELP ME TO THE WHEELCHAIR AND TAKE ME BACK AND HELP. HE IS NO FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE AND RETCHES EASILY AND I WAS HUMILIATED.

I had had it. Period. They couldn't get me a bed, the stretcher was torture, and THEY WERE GIVING ME NO CARE. NO ONE HAD TAKEN MY TEMP OR BLOOD PRESSURE SINCE I CAME IN, AND THAT HAD BEEN HOURS BEFORE. All the while, the staff was tied up in three's with the I don't speak English folks.

I AM NO RACIST. I DO NOT, HOWEVER, WANT ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM ANY COUNTRY, ANY REGION, ANY ETHNIC GROUP HERE DESTROYING OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM, TAKING OUR JOBS, AND PERMITTIG THEIR EMPLOYERS FROM PAYING TAXES AND TAKING AMERICAN JOBS.

At that point, I told them I was going to go home. If I had to die, I would do it at home, in my own bed. My temp was 101, and I needed at least three to four more liters of fluids, but I wasn't going to put up with this. My white blood count was elevated, but we didn't know if it was from infection or dehydration. How were we going to find out with care and delays like this?

I went home, tried to drink while sitting on the commode, shivered, and finally my fever broke and drenched me and my bed four hours later. I called a friend, who is an Anesthetist and a former student of mine, she was leaving work, and she brought over an IV, started it, and left me another. After getting those two, I felt almost human. I was really, really weak.

Called my doctor, after I had done a HEALTH SEARCH ON THE STUFF THEY GAVE ME FOR THE PREP, SINCE IT STARTED THE THING AND DISCOVERED AN ARTICLE IN THE GASTROENTEROLOGY JOURNAL WHERE THE VERY STUFF SHE GAVE ME HAD BEEN REPORTED TWO MONTHS AGO WITH VERY SERIOUS COMPLICATIONS OF DEHYDRATION, RENAL FAILURE, AND DEATH!!!!!!!!! IN PATIENTS WHO WERE HEALTHY, MUCH LESS ILL LIKE ME.

Mentioned that I thought I might have had a "reaction" to the phospho and she said, no, no. Very unlikely. I said, well that's not what the Journal of so and so said. She was SPEECHLESS. I told her that I didn't like that I had begged for fluids and explained the situation at the Center and they IGNORED ME.

She said call them. I did. They said just what I thought they would say AND WHAT THEY SAID WAS CRIMINAL AND NEGLIGENT. WELL, WE GAVE YOU THE SAME AMOUNT OF FLUID WE GIVE EVERYBODY, AND WE DON'T GIVE FLUIDS TO DRINK BECAUSE IT MAKES PEOPLE VOMIT FROM THE ANESTHESIA. THAT IS CRIMINAL. I laid the nurse out. I TOLD HER THAT I WAS OBESE AND GIVING ME THE SAME AMOUNT OF FLUID THAT YOU GIVE SOMEONE WHO WEIGHS 120 POUNDS IS NOT WHAT IS TAUGHT IN ANY NURSING OR MEDICAL SCHOOL, AT LEAST NOT ANY GOOD ONE, AND THAT THERE WAS NOT ANY WAY THAT COOKIE CUTTER MEDICINE WAS SAFE. That had one of my Anesthesia student said such a thing to me, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT ON THEIR BUTTS IN FIFTEEN SECONDS. SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

People it is NOT SAFE. IT IS SCAREY.

We have all these people on here, who are citizens, good, decent people, who have become ill, can't get their medicine, can't get assistance, can't get their SSD, and can't get care. We have people here who have INSURANCE AND CAN'T GET DECENT CARE. IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. THEN, WE HAVE ALL THESE ILLEGALS GETTING EVERYTHING FOR FREE AND THEY ARE TYING UP AND GETTING STUFF WHICH SHOULD BE GOING TO CITIZENS.

This has just fried me and made me militant about it.

Please excuse the length and I hope I am not offending anyone but this isn't about political parties or anything, it is ABOUT THE SYSTEM AND ITS' FAILURES.
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I'm speechless! What a story! I can't believe all that happened to you! And the scary part is that you KNOW what they should be doing for you. Most people don't!

Did you tell them you were (are) a CRNA when you went for your colonoscopy and the ER? I always mention that I am a medical technologist and if nothing else, sometimes they treat you a little better than the usual patient.

I do have a question for you. Have you noticed that a lot of the nurses who are younger just don't seem to give a rat's patootie about their patients anymore? I have noticed this in the last few years. Seems that people are going into nursing for the money now, where as years ago, they went into the profession to help people. I'm not saying all new nurses are like that, but it seems like a higher percentage than previously.

Personally I try to avoid the ER at all costs. The caliber of some of the Dr's I've seen in ER's leaves much to be desired!

I agree about the demerol also. Nasty drug that doesn't work for pain and makes me very nauseous also.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon! Sally
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Thank all of you for your support.

The thing through all of this was that I was thinking if I get this kind of care, when they know I know what I know, and I SPOKE UP, what do they do to the rest?

This IS DANGEROUS.

For all of these people who think that we will be able to meet the demands of the Avian flu, were it to hit, GOOD LUCK.