Discouraged and question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jknight, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jknight

jknight Member

I have suffered from Fibro now for about 10 years now along with degenerative disc disease and herniated disks in my neck and back. Now I am being tested with a muscle biopsy for something called poly myosotis. I told my pain management Dr that I wanted to go out of work and apply for long term disability. She told me she was sorry but she would not support this. She said she believed I should work thru the pain as a way of dealing with the pain. Strange I know. My question is does the Dr have to support you or can you on your own obtain your records and apply? I am at a total loss so any input is appreciated.
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I'm not sure, but I believe that you need your Drs approval, and cooperation to file. The thing I wanted to comment on was what your dr said to you. Mine told me the same thing, and believe it or not. It has helped me. I think working through the pain, and exhaustion helps. Yeah, I am beat at night, and usually in bed by 7:30-8:30 most nights, but I feel better physically. I have a pretty physical job too, no sitting at all, all day long. I clean houses, all by myself....

Plus I have osteo arthritis and COPD, among other issues too. I'm like the energizer bunny. I just keep going and going. LOL
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I worked for a while after having FM and CFS diagnosis but I could not work through the pain. I actually made mayself much worse by pushing so hard. I went to college part-time and worked at the college part-time with the illnesses and then tried working full time, changed to part-time, and then had to quit.

Some may be able to push on and feel better, but it seems from what I've read on here and other boards that a lot of us do not. I made myself so sick just trying to get my associates degree, but I'm glad I finished. I only wish I could have worked longer. I don't have any experience with filing for disabilty. I hadn't worked long enough I guess. Unless you count raising 4 children as work! GB66
  4. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Jamin, Yes it's the toughest but it doesn't give you any work credits on your social security!!!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is extremely difficult to win disability without the support of several docs who attest that you are incapable of doing any kind of job. Find the best disability atty. you can and he or she will help you find docs who will support your claim. It costs nothing until you win except for a small fee for office supplies in the beginning. I would not apply until there is better medical support for your case. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie