discusion: we call them Normals -how do you feel about the term?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The first time I saw the word "normals" used for non-CFS/FM people, it deffinately made an impact on me.

What are YOUR thoughts/feelings/reactions to the use of the word "normals"? Good idea? Bad idea? Alternate suggestions for things to call them? Or should there be a classification for them at all? And where does it put us?

I appreciate all your comments and insights!
    (((controversy time))) ;) Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2006]
  2. id much prefer to call them NONE FIBRO FOLK,i dont much care for the word normals,because it makes me feel that this illness has made me a lesser person/seperated from the rest.we arent different we are the same as them (the none fibro folk) we feel,we hurt, we are normal.so id say lets definately stop saying the normals..this illness just cant be allowed to take our identity from us.its just about taken everything else.

kind regards
    fran
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Because there is really no normal! We are all different in one way or another. I guess I would love to see a different word used..but not sure what that should be. I know I haven't felt like my normal self for several years now...so in a way..."normals" does work as a description for me. It just means "me before Fms".
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shannonsparkles:
    I do not mind 'them' being called 'normals'. They do not have pain 24/7 to manage and all the problems we have.
    I feel that what I have is not normal. Just my opinion.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

You know I kind of get a kick out of watching,talking to someone or just thinking of someone thinks that they are "normal".(I know that didn't make sense but you get my point LOL!)

There is not one "Normal" person on God's green earth.Now there are some that like to put on the face and act of a normal person but it is just a mask like we all wear.

Why don't we call them "Wanna be".They want to be normal but normal doesn't even exsist.

You know that was pretty deep.I didn't know I was able to reach down into my soul and pull out such a poetic insight to the human psychy.LOL!!!

I think I had a brief relapse into the world of "Wanna Be".

Sheila
  6. how very right you are.bless you.so very very true.

love
    fran
  7. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I hate using that "normals" label. Does that mean we're abnormal or that "normal" people don't have other problems? I vote for non-FM/non-CFS people.
  8. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Even though I suffer I do not wish this or any Illness on anyone.

What does get to me is that when "normals" judge and do not know what they are even talking about. If they haven't walked in my shoes then don't bother saying anything about me.

Just My Opinion
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

...putting lables on people. We are all human some have diseases and some do not-some are black, some are white, some are smart, some are not, for me it is that simple.

When talking to someone with a disease-I do not say "oh you are a ....or with out a disease "oh you are a ....so I do not refer to people in this manner.

It would set back human rights 50+ years would it not? Just my opinion :).

Thanks,

Karen
  10. day2day

day2day Member

What about calling them pw/o cfs or pw/o fm this means person without cfs, and person without fm. If we are tired we can just write pw/o this DD.

Thanks for the great ?

day2
  11. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Because, as another posted stated, it is a label. And that would mean I'd be stuck with the label of being abnormal. I don't much care for that label at all. So I would just rather to refer to them as Non-Fibro-or Non-CFIDS folks.

It sounds like a mouthful, I know. But really, they could just as easily have other health issues, such as epilepsy or diabetes and that would make them not so healthy(or would be Normal) as one who does not have fibro of CFS. Just the term Normal....don't like it.
  12. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Using the term normals makes me feel like I am some mutant from a sci-fi movie.
  13. kch64

kch64 New Member

"Normal is a setting on your Washer". Or something to that effect.

Don't know if it's a good term for people without fm/cfs.

Maybe we should call them the Nons or the healthys or something else.

just a thought.

good post
  14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The first time I saw the word 'normals' here, I thought, "What am I, a circus freak?" lol

I think that using the term 'normals' minimises the struggles of their own that they are having. Calling them 'healthies' wouldn't work for me either. Most people have some form of illness these days.

But I do agree that there is a huge gulf between their world and our own. And we need something to call them here, just for practical purposes.

I like the suggestion of calling them persons without fm/cfs. That's basically what they are. Does anyone have a good idea for some abreviation we could use for non-cfs/fm folk? Like how we use DD for our own disease?
    Like, PWO for "persons without"?
    Or could we call them 'outsiders,' because they are outside of our disease?

I wouldn't object to the using 'normals' though. It sounds kind of cute.

brainstorming time!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  15. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

Don't know about you guys but I don't know what normal is. What is normal to one won't be normal to another.

I think there should be a different term all together for people who are not sympathetic to our conditions. Linking them together with people who just don't have our conditions isn't very fair. Not all healthy people are unsympathetic. So what shall we call the unsympathetic that we can actually type without offending someone? Few words come to mind but they would offend, haha.

Some of your posts cracked me up. Especially the one about making you feel like something from a SciFi movie.

16. darude

darude New Member

We call them "TABS" around here. that stands for Temporarily Able Bodied. If you think about it if people stick around long enough they will get something I know I used to be a "Tab". I like it better than Normal because WHAT is normal these days. Actually its starting to be cool to be abnormal mmmmmmmmmmm not cool having FMS/CFS tho. I told one of my kids friends what I had and she said "thats cool". Yea really. So good luck to all the "TABS" out there.
  17. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

but we are surely not in that classification. So normals is alright with me. I don't think anyone is very normal these days and time. We are as far from normal as could be. My therapist says there isn't a true defition for normal. Everyone things they are what is normal but that theory changes often.

If normal is painfree (mostly) I would love to be NORMAL. So, its not like we're bashing or saying anything bad. Ok now I'm confusing myself again.

I'm sooooooooo not normal.
    Angela

edited because I can't spell either.. LOL[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

W/ apologies to J. K. Rowling.

There is another thread on the subject of what to call CFS.

I try to focus on the substance rather than the label. After all, a rose by any other name is just as thorny.
  19. Gly

Gly New Member

and never use the term "normals". I also don't assume that people without fibro are "healthy" because I know several who aren't healthy and suffer greatly from their own illnesses and pain.

Yes there are some folks out there who are healthy and might be considered normal but, just as with fibro, appearances *can* be deceptive.
  20. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I don't like the term "normals" either. It is a little condescending & judgmental. Since we are sometimes referred to as People Living With FM (PLWFM), how about People Not Living With FM?