Discussion On The Guai Protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There has been a lot of discussion on the Guai Protocol lately. Discussion is usually a good thing but the discussion has been heating up and I'm afraid the thread may be removed. I've decided to post separately so that my observations and experience will not be lost.

Some may wonder why the protocol was published in a book and not in medical journals. First, medical journals choose what they decide to publish. Claims, like the ones made for the Guai, have to be supported by scientific trials. There was only one study done early on and it was so fatally flawed as to be of no value.

Studies are funded by the govt. and/or by pharmaceutical companies hoping to cash in on a big payoff. There was no money to be made from the Gaui so no company would fund a second study. Notice, though, that now that the Guai Protocol is gaining popularity, the company that used to sell it in prescription form, decided to sell it OTC as Mucinex at a huge markup and greatly increased profits.

There is a strange psychological phenomonen which people employ to protect themselves from being let down. I think it is learned behavior from being repeatedly let down during their early years. When something offers a ray of hope, a person may find as many negative things about the object of hope as they can, even as they desperately desire to be helped. To show this desire would "jinx" the whole thing. Then, when this turns out to be just another letdown, it fits in with the person's experience and he or she can say, "I knew it! It was too good to be true"

Problem is that when someone goes into something expecting failure, it is often a self-fulfilled prophesy. The person will subconsciously sabotage the whole thing in order to continue a life of disappointment. We can be more comfortable in a world we know that is consistent, even when it is a world of misery. After years of being sick and never getting better, we may have to relearn how to be healthy and to be comfortable with change. I had therapy for this. My therapist told me that when a person is sick for years, he or she may "forget" how to be a healthy person.

This observation is only an example and I certainly don't want to imply that anyone here is doing this. I only offer it for consideration. I think we have all seen people in different circumstances who say, "Nothing ever works out for me no matter what I do." If we find ouselves saying or thinking like this, it is time for a new paradigm for ourselves. There are treatments out there which work but nothing works well for everone. Still, we shouldn't let this keep us from continuing to try new things.

With the Guai Protocol, there are several variables which can determine failure versus success. The good news is that we are in complete control of these variables through eliminating sals, tweaking the dose, and eating healthy foods. The Guai is a long-term treatment; the rule of thumb is that it takes 2-3 months on the Guai for every year one has been sick. It's taken longer than that for me, but I suspect, along with the CFIDS, that the FMS has been making me sick a lot longer than the auto accident which triggered it. Once one is sal free and on the right dose, all one has to do is sit back and let the Guai do its thing.

I would hate to see a newcomer be discouraged by the negative remarks regarding the Guai Protocol and not try a treatment which could be so helpful.

Love, Mikie
  2. janieb

janieb New Member

I'm in Wisconsin and still looking for a doctor in state who uses Dr. Armand's protocol. We could also use the Mayo Clinic or Marshfield Clinic, since both are in our area. I've heard there is a website for Dr. Armand and one for Guai protocol. It's something to try. Nothing else has worked in 18 years.

Thanks for your help.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

www.guaidoc.com. The Guai is sold here in several forms. I use the quick acting plain ole white Guai. Some do better on the long acting type. I don't recommend Mucinex because it has a very strong blue/green dye in it. It gave me a rash.

Love, Mikie
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I think Mucinex actually works the best for me out of all the ones I have tried.
    Supposedly, it has both a short acting and long acting component and may not cause the insane cycle pains I get with the others.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

I don't think Guai is my answer but take it nonetheless. As one doctor said, not every type of chemo cures cancer.

5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

The Guaidoc.com website is no longer available. Details are on

www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll have to put this into my Favorites. I noticed you've been posting it here lately. So, is the Guaidoc website completely gone or just no longer a viable site? It wasn't that long ago that I e-mailed Claudia from there.

Love, Mikie