Dish or Direct TV

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Anyone subscribe to either of these...I'm considering dropping TimeWarner, they are jerking customers around, raising prices, dropping channels...it's been a bit nightmarish with them recently. Paying more, getting less.

So talking to Verizon as they have a package deal with Direct TV, but don't know anything how about Dish (less pricey) and Dish's quality.....

Comments appreciated....jam
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I will tell,you my experience with Direct TV. I hated it. I would lose the signal every stinking time it would snow, and would have to call them to reset it. They would always tell me to log onto the website and reset it myself. Sorry, but it's you crap, you rest it.

Dish, I know people that have it, and it's much better.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. jaminhealth

about the snow issue but here in So. Cal. no snow, so that isn't a concern for we so cals....and for those in warmer no snow states...thanks stick......

As I drove around yesterday, I purposely looked on roofs of bldgs and houses and saw a lot of dishes (satellite)....so many here are sick and tired of Time Warner monopoly on cable and forever raising costs and taking away channels, they just did this to me...jam
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2012]
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi Jam!

We have Comcast in our home with many channel's and ONDEMAND to boot. At our lake cottage we have Mediacom. A small little company with no competition. They bleed us dry for only 50 channel's, with two of them having different duplication's from two largest city's closest to the area. Three PBS channel's and several blank. We pay the same for their service as we do for Comcast. Such a joke.

We'd like to try Dish at the lake, but I've heard bad and good for both. I think we had Direct TV at a beach home we rented several year's ago. I hated it. Of course, the weather is much different in a beach type area. I've also heard of other's who don't like Dish Network. I'm going to do some checking around on the web and see which one seem's to be preferred most. I'll let you know!

Kim
  5. freida

freida Active Member

...because i do not have any of them.
    (wish I did.)

but some people i've known,
    had trouble getting their dish reception,
    due to trees or uneven land,
    or buildings,
    or something else that blocked the path.

that's what i was told.

that the reception depends on your specific home and the location the dish is put.

just input, in case it helps to have more info.
  6. jaminhealth

apt bldg praise their Direct TV service....I see the dishes on the roof....so I'm sure location location location has a major factor....still deciding....
  7. freida

freida Active Member

that's a very good way to know how it would work, in your specific location.

jam, thanks for your kind sentence in a past post. i did appreciate that.

8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I finished reading many pro's and con's on both.

Writer's say they are both owned by same company. Can't confirm for sure. The majority of the survey's I read said Dish Network was preferred. What other's liked about Direct is it had more sport option's than Dish. I believe Direct charge's for more than one room. Dish give's you two room's. Basically, it was pretty close. And most of the respondent's said which company is best changes year to year. Forbes has chosen Dish this year since they accquired Blockbuster, they are keeping their fee's stable to keep customer loyalty, and some other reason's.

My husbad think' our son had Dish and liked it. I think they are the first one's we'll check out. But if the apartment's have Direct and really like it, you have confirmed info regarding Direct!

Just thought I'd share!

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2012]
  9. jaminhealth

I passed your notes on to a friend too who is thinking of going with a satellite...getting rid of TWC...

A friend at bridge today, said they've had TWC, Direct TV and now have Dish and are fine with it...

Sounds like sports are a big one for some, not for me....

I only have on TV so no biggie there....

I'll be calling Dish tomorrow and talk with them, have only talked to Direct TV and Verizon on their deal....

Dish has a deal now $19.99/mo for 1st yr and then it will change but it can't be that much....so still deciding. Thanks again for your work....jam
  10. bct

bct Member

I live in a very rural area. It seems most people have Dish here; not so many with Direct. We've been very satisfied with Dish. If we didn't have it (or Direct) we would have no tv.!
  11. jole

jole Member

We have dish also, and love it! There are different package deals, some can get quite expensive (if you get the ones with sports, etc). Heavy rainstorms and yes, snow, does affect it, but it's pretty rare. It's our only alternative here, so can't say anything about the others. Like Barry, living in the country we have no access to tv without it.
  12. jaminhealth

and for the channels I want, it's pretty pricey, more than the Verizon bundle that offers Direct Tv...so waiting for TWC today and then will decide if they don't help me with price and giving me back the channels I had.....
  13. jaminhealth

well 2 trouble shooters for TWC showed up and heard me threatening to leave their company for a dish company.

They got on the phone to try to save a customer...and did it for NOW anyway.

Evidently, the tech who showed up early this week installed the "box" incorrectly and sent thru charges for the box that should have been free for the first yr....

They gave me my channels back and left smiling and saved a customer...So I'm happy now....

Thanks all for inputs. jam
  14. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Glad to hear you got your problems resolved with Time Warner.

We have had DISH for over 10 years and for the most part have been very happy with their service.
  15. jaminhealth

a bunch of channels and more, but bumped up my bill to $20 more, so I called them and said take them back, I dont want to pay $60something for these channels....they just charged me more and didn't even tell me they were doing it.

So I'm learning to live with less "crap" stuff I used to watch and now tuning into PBS more and learning something...just watched the Dust Bowl series the other day....actually learned some history.
  16. kjfms

kjfms Member

DirecTV has more channels than Dish. All you have to do wiht the DirecTV dish when it snow it sweep it off. Better yet, on a nice, warm and sunny day spray a coating of Pam (yes the cooking spray) on the DirecTV and the snow will slide off.

Of course there is not a lot anyone can do in a blizzard ;)

Oh Dish is only less pricey for three months, it's in that darn small print. Honestly, I enjoy DirecTV more I been with them forever it seem, since they bought out the other company I had ... long time lol. Good luck.

kjfms
  17. kjfms

kjfms Member

The reset button is on their little box in your house, open it up on the right side, there is a little red button... press it. There you're reset. It's all in the instruction bucklet or online. It's pretty easy. You don't even have to resit it if you sweep the snow from the dish ;)