Dishwasher recommendations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMseeker, Dec 29, 2009.

1. FMseeker

FMseeker New Member

What dishwasher has worked for you? I need a new one and know the standard type does not work for my neck, shoulder, or back, and the elevated blood pressure from pain recently caused heart-related symptoms. Any recommendations on where to go in selecting one? Spouse doesn't see my viewpoint ("you're a hypochondriac" "we can't afford a non-traditional dishwasher"); but when this affects my heart, it's time to take action and stop complaining. Thanks for any input you may have.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If you stop loading the dishwasher yourself, eventually he will be left with no choice but to do it, or get a different one......or you could suggest that he wash the dishes himself the old fashioned way : )

I don't have a dishwasher (or husband for that matter); would love one of each, but not if the dishwasher would cause more problems ............I cannot usually manage to do dishes, so I live off of paper plates (which I know are not environmentally or financially healthy, but are the only way I can manage many days.....anyway, that's also an option, though not really one I would recommend)

anyway, I hope that you can get this worked out....hope that your husband can somehow begin to understand that you are truly in need of a solution
  3. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I don't think it will help you with your pain or blood pressure, but I can put anything into it without rinsing first and it comes out very clean! Both my cousins have the same model (under the counter) and they feel the same.

I agree to have your husband do the dishwasher. I think unloading is more difficult than loading? More weight to lift up.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I want the dishwasher not necessarily the husband!!

Seriously, I have a counter dishwasher which I love. It is small but does a good job of cleaning the dishes. You connect the hose to the faucet and you are ready to go. You can get a place setting for four and a few more items.

Good luck.

5. JLH

JLH New Member

I have a Maytag dishwasher which is installed under my counter next to the sink.

I also have neck, shoulder, and back pain, as well as high blood pressure and heart problems. I cannot understand how loading a dishwasher caused your pain level to be so high that it caused your blood pressure to elevate which caused your heart-related symptoms. Please don't be offended by my observation.

I'm just wondering if you are having more problems of another nature which are causing your extra pain. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about this.

I have to load my dishwasher while sitting in my wheelchair. The sink and counter are higher than my wheelchair and this causes a real problem for me by raising my arms high enough (I'm a short person) to reach the dishes in the sink to put them in the dishwasher.

That makes my arms, shoulders, and everything else hurt. So, I just do a few dishes at a time. It's nice, though, that all my kids are married and gone, so it's just my husband and me at home and we don't dirty a tremendous amount of dishes!

Maytag has always made good appliances. In the house we used to live in, we had a Maytag dishwasher for more than 25 years and never had any problems with it--well, only 1 minor problem that was inexpensive to fix. Then we moved to a house that did not have a dishwasher, so the first thing I wanted done was to remove a cabinet and install a dishwasher!! I wasn't about to do dishes by hand! My husband will load dishes in it every now and then, but he would never do dishes by hand!!
  6. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I know what you mean about loading the dishwasher!
    We bought one because I did not have the strength or energy to wash the dishes properly.
    But I have the same problems as you with the loading.Bending down is sooooo hard and makes me ache and increases my pain.My hubby does not get it either!
    I also have high B/P and get breathless with any exertion so I can understand how you feel.

I do remember reading about worktop dishwashers a while ago......Maybe you could look this up?

Good luck!

7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

You might ck out the newer "drawer" type dishwashers at Lowe's. Kitchen Aid & Maytag have some, maybe other brands as well. A little spendier than regular, but less stooping, I think.

Alternatively, would it work for you to have a built-in dishwasher raised up higher than normal? Those sorts of adaptations are pretty commonly done for seniors & others with disability.

Do remember to use your kitchen fan when the dishwasher is running, & keep it going for a few minutes after the load is done when you first open it up.

I've also found, in dealing with chem sensitivity, that if dishes are rinsed prior to putting them in the DW, you need only about 1/4 of the dish detergent recommended ... which means 1/4 of the chemicals your body has to deal with.

Best wishes.