disibility psyche exam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justlikemom, Sep 22, 2005.

1. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

Ok, so the medical team is evaluating my disability claim right now... but I was just informed that I will need to get a psyche exam. (My claim mentioned depression, anxiety, panic attacks)

Has anyone gone through this? Can you tell me what to expect for the exam?
  2. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

It's really no big deal,

It will take about an hour to an hour and a half.

The psychiatrist will ask a bunch of easy questions such as
    Do you know who you are, where you are, etc.

They might ask about your past work, your family or your living situation.

For me, the hardest part was getting up the steps. I can't believe that SS would send disabled people to a place that is not wheelchair accessible.

Peace,
    Anne
  3. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

bumped!!!!! from gmom ,,i also going to a disibility psyche exam,,soon ,,,,
  4. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

I also have depression and panic disorder. The tests you take are no big deal, pen and paper tests. Lots of silly questions, but answer them truthfully, because they also have a scale for "faking" and "truthfulness". People cant fake these tests well because they dont understand how they are scored. Just tell the truth. And tell the doctor everything he/she should know, your pains, feelings, everything. Just talking to you will tell them so much. And remember.....they are on YOUR side!! Panic Attacks alone can qualify you for disability. Please let us know how it goes.
    Kay
  5. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

My exam is Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope there isn't much pencil and paper stuff, I have trouble reading and writing most days.
  6. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

It was a waste of time for me...they ask me all the usual an then at the end he told me I had extreme depression ..but that is not what he wrote to SSD..he told them I was fine..mild depression..being controlled by my meds that they were still adjusting...that isn't true and that is not what I told him..I told him that i could only take 10mg of Prozac they had tried others and upping my meds and they can't have to many other issues with them when they do..so I say good luck....
  7. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I hope I looked pathetic enough... I was so nervous I was shaking all over and I broke into tears when he asked "why is it you feel you can't work anymore".

I did ok on most of the memory stuff... but my math skills and vocabulary skills weren't so great.

He gave no indication of what he was going to put in his report.
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member