DISSAPOINTED WITH DOCTOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dsames, Jun 6, 2003.

1. dsames

dsames New Member

I have been trying to lose wgt the last 4 weeks. First I tried Slimfast which many of you on the board advised against, and sure enough I didn't lose any wgt, then I tried the Special K diet, which is special K cereal for breakfast and lunch and a regular meal at nite, with fruit for snacks.

After not losing any wgt with this, I discovered the combination of Prozac (which is necessary to control my anxiety attacks) and which the dr. at one point said I should never let myself run out, that with elavil at hs causes mucha wgt gain, so I called his office and asked the nurse to relay to him that I followed the diet very carefully along with my husband, he lost 9 lbs, I lost 1. So I wondered if there was an alternative med for bedtime to replace the elavil that would do the same job w/o the wgt gain. His response was to play with the 2 meds and see which I could do without. Right!!! He once said never to do w/o prozac and just recently incresed the elavil from 10 mg to 20 mg.Go figure!! So I said I cannot do w/o either, just wondered about an alternative, so if I can't get something else for sleep at nite, then call them both in.

So yesterday, I started the ATkins diet, though I am very concerned about what it may do to my cholesterol, more like scared and also about the ketosis bit. However, I am going to try to stick it out.

Sorry for the long post.

Have a good day everyone.
    Shirley
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take Klonopin for anxiety and I have not gained wight on it. In fact, on the Suzanne Somers diet, I have lost 24 pounds. It is similar to the Atkins Diet but, I believe, much easier to stay on. The weight gain was caused by taking Elavil and it's equally fat-producing cousin, Flexeril.

It is a high-protein/low-carb diet and I lost the weight while feasting on meat, butter, and cream. These types of fat are natural and do not usually raise cholesterol. All my lipids improved and my cholesterol dropped from 191 to 168 after losing weight. My blood pressure also dropped.

Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I lost 45 pounds on ATkins last year and have kept it off.
    My cholestoral was never high but even so it went down 16 points.
    Good luck!
  4. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Klonopin is awesome, I swear by my prescription..LOL No weight gain, but mild loss. I am being put on topomax which, in most cases causes weight loss. If you suffer from the nueropthic pain that comes along with FM- this might be a good combo for you. BUT I AM BY NO MEANS A DOCTOR. Only speaking from my personal experience.

Good Luck!!
  5. dsames

dsames New Member

Thanks for your replies everybody.
    I also have info on the South Beach Diet, which a friend of mine lost 13 lbs in a short time. Not much different than the Atkins, except it does allow a little more carbs than Atkins does.

At one point my doc gave me xanax but he is very conservative with it. Only gives me like 10 at a time, and then not very often. I know it is addictive but at 68, i'm not sure that matters. I'm not sure if I should be angry with him, or just be glad that he is doing what he thinks is right.

I tried to take benadyrl at bdtime last night, along with magnesium malate, thinking if that would work, maybe I could do without the elavil. I must have woke up 5-6 times, but did go right back to sleep.

We all have bad times I know, so maybe it will get better.
    Love Shirley