Distracting yourself from pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Feb 14, 2009.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have found a new hobby and actually have managed to turn that into a good little business. I have found that since I am doing this I am working on something for someone else and it really has helped me.

It is hard to avoid the pain but once I get going on my project, even though I have to stop to rest, I feel better.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2009]
  2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

the pain is unavoidable, but i find as long as i'm keeping busy w/ something, my mind is taken off of it, and it's not as bad.

3. good for you, what hobby are you doing? I need one.
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

I do find if I can get up the energy to get out of bed and do something creative....then I can distract myself from the pain. Its the getting out of bed that is the HARDEST for me.

What is your hobby???

5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Well I have a fairly new little toy poodle and I got this idea from a friend that I would make little dog dresses, vests and hoodie sweatshirts.

People are really understanding and don't rush me unless it is just a rush order. I sew on days I feel up to it and I don't if I don't. Or, maybe I work one or two hours a day a few days a week.

You can make one in about 1/2 hour to 45 mins. once you get the hang of it.

I use to be a sewing instructor for Singer for some time when I was young, have always sewn, so I thought why not. I had not sewn in years.

Because I love animals and my little Sassy and toy dogs in general I thought why not combine the two.

I work in my kitchen at my table with padded chair, I get up and leave it if I get tired or hurt more.

I got a couple orders, designed a website, one you do from a template and the next thing I knew I am booked up to mid March and have more orders coming in and more people inquiring.

Last week I took in almost $300. in orders. I don't have to get any of them out at any certain time except for 2 special orders. I have done all but 4 of those and I have more orders coming in.

So, find a craft or something you like that will take your mind off your pain for a bit. It really does help and the satisfaction of my finished product and the fact that I am helping our finances has made me feel so much better.
  6. msbsgblue GOOD FOR YOU! A hobby that also makes extra $$$$ which we can all use. I don't have a dog or sew so thats out. I need a hobby thats fun and interesting.