Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Scientific Study - Scientists Find Disturbed ATP Metabolism in Fibromyalgia

People with fibromyalgia suffer great pain and fatigue that is not relieved by sleep. Weight lifters have long known that regenerating adenosine triphosphate (ATP) during and after a workout gives them more energy and stamina for a harder workout.

“Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points — places on your body where slight pressure causes pain,” according to the Mayo Clinic.

Symptoms include widespread pain, fatigue and sleep disturbances, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), headaches and facial pain and heightened sensitivity to odors, noises, bright lights and touch. Risk factors for fibromyalgia include female gender, sleep disorders, family history, and rheumatic disease.

Possible causes of fibromyalgia, according to scientists, include sleep disturbances, spinal injury, infection, abnormalities of the autonomic (sympathetic) nervous system, and changes in muscle metabolism.

Researchers at the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Pisa, Italy took an interest in the muscle metabolism chances and recently discovered significantly lower ATP levels in fibromyalgia patients. This may, in part, explain the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

In addition, fibromyalgia patients have higher calcium and magnesium levels, suggesting disturbances of ATP metabolism and calcium-magnesium flow.

Creatine, a body building supplement, is said to increase regeneration of ATP and has been recommended by some practitioners as part of a supplement program for fibromyalgia. Patients should always check with their physician before beginning or changing any treatment program.

Bazzichi L, Giannaccini G, Betti L, Fabbrini L, Schmid L, Palego L, Giacomelli C, Rossi A, Giusti L, De Feo F, Giuliano T, Mascia G, Bombardieri S, Lucacchini A. ATP, calcium and magnesium levels in platelets of patients with primary fibromyalgia. Clin Biochem. 2008 Jul 2.

2. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

a few days ago. It will be nice if this is used to diagnose us and can also be used for disability. Yeah!
  3. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I am going to try this with mt Dr's permission of course. I am determined to get well.
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

Shoud we take calcium and magnesium? This is all confusing!
    I have wanted to try creatine and would like to know if anyone has had good results with it.
    Thank you
  5. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I took some last night and this morning. I do actually feel better today. Hopefully this keeps up!