DIVERTICULITIS ANYBODY?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Dec 21, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I had what I now consider the worst experience of my life. I was not feeling well at all last week and was very stressed. Long story short, I awoke in the middle of the night feeling as if I was punched in the stomach. Twenty four hours later, the pain was even worse, so at 4:30 in the morning I drove myself to the emergency room (no lectures about that please, I've already gotten enough of that). I truly thought it was my appendix, as did the attending physician. After the CAT-scan, he came back and told me it was diverticulitis and admitted me to the hospital for several days of continous IV antibiotic and a clear liquid diet for four days. The pain was so bad, that they gave me two injections of morphine, which didn't totally work so they followed that up with a dose of dilautin, which did work, but boy was I spaced out from that one! I was released from the hospital yesterday, because I begged to go home. I am now on a low residue diet for several weeks, and talking Cipro and Fagil. As much as I hate antibiotics, and many of you know I do, I will take them. The pain from this was indescribable,like nothing I've ever experienced in my life, including natural chldbirth. The gave me a pain prescription for percoset, but I am reluctant to take it.

So my question is, anybody else dealing with this and also they have any suggestions for living with this condition? I am vowed and determined that I will doe verything in my power for this to never hapeen again. Nothing tastes that good to risk a recurrence.

Again, any advice would be much appreciated.

Peace--Laura

[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2009]
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Did you receive any kind of nutrition advice from the DR's? My husband has divertiulosis(pouches in the intestines). He was told to avoid anything seedy(raspberries,popcorn,etc)if he wanted to prevent what you just went through. A lot of fiber in the diet is key to keeping this ailment under control. I bet if you google diverticulosis(isis) you will find more info in dealing with this. Good luck~~Jeanne
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Yes. I received a great deal of nutritional advice from the hospital--collaboration of internist, gastroentronologist and dietician. My SIL is also an RD and she supplied me with a great deal of nutritional information, so I am clear on what I need to do. I did have the 'osis' several years ago, which unfortunately has evolved into an 'itis'.

My question was primarily for a personal perspective--any helpful hints or ideas anybody may have in personally dealing with this. Sometimes patients have a better or varying perspective from the doctors and that's what I was hoping for from some people here on the board.

Popcorn has been a disaster for me for years!! Right now I am on a low to no fiber diet for several weeks, which will then be followed up by a high fiber diet. The odd thing about this whole thing is that I am one of the healthiest eaters I know. No junk food, no fast food, no red meat. All those beans, veggies, fresh fruits, and whole grains, granola and nuts and gluten free products apparently did me in!! I also found out yesterday that my dad's two sisters both had it and there can be a genetic predisposition to this.

So I have to redefine what I eat. A small price to pay to avoid that pain for the rest of my life!

I do not want to google this any further than I already have because I do not want to read all the gloom and doom and worst case scenarios. Just listen to my doctors and take this diet seriously. I didn't when I was diagnosed with the 'osis', never thinking it could evolve into anything. How foolish of me.

Thanks again--

Laura

[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2009]
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Knock on wood, I haven't had it in exactly 1 year, but I have had it about 18 times in my life..

Yes, it is rather painful, and can be life threatening.....My advice is this....Fiber, fiber, fiber........and when you think that you have had enough, have some more.....Keeping everything going is the key to this. It's not a guarantee, but it's the biggest thing that you can do to help yourself....Apples, are great, Fiber One cereal, veggies, fruits, just get enough everyday,,,,Constipation is NOT GOOD for people that have had Diverticulitis.......

There are Dr's that will tell you, "Absolutely NO seeds, or nuts." Then there are the Dr's that will tell you this, "You can eat anything, including nuts and seeds." Very confusing....

Seeds include Tomatoes, Cukes, Squash, ANYTHING that has a seed in it.....I eat them ALL......BUT, I have notices that when I eat nuts, I do have an issue, so I stay away from nuts......I LOVE Cashews.....I now eat Cashew Butter.....

There are some people that have had to have surgery to remove that section of Intestine, and many Dr's will suggest that you have the surgery if you get Diverticulitis more that 3 times......It just depends.....

Most of the time the pain is in the lower left quadrant of the abdomen, so the minute I start getting pain I KNOW...,,, BUT, you can have it in the center, around the navel area, as this is where the Desending Colon is, and in your lower left back area also......

I do sympathize, as I know that pain, oh so well........
  5. kjade

kjade New Member

I don't have this, but I have a friend who does. All I know is that she cannot have ANYTHING that has any nuts or even a hint of seeds. Anything. And she follows a diet very high in fiber. She told me popcorn is one the biggest things that are a problem for her, and she really misses it. But like you said, nothing is that good to bring on that kind of pain.
    I also know someone else with this and she has said she cannot have alcohol, as it aggravates the condition.

I really don't have any more helpful advice for you, but I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you had to suffer like this. But thank goodness you got to the hospital, they found the problem and you are now being treated for it. I hope you feel better soon, and you are able to make the necessary adjustments to your diet so that you get better. (((hugs)))
  6. rocky76

rocky76 Member

I'm on Cipro right now for it...
    Been fighting this for years...
    Worse pain ever...

NO MORE SEEDS FOR YOU....
    Popcorn is a big NO NO
    Peel you apples....
    No more celery...

For now stick to a bland diet..
    Mash Potatoes...
    Pudding....
    Scrambled eggs

Papaya juice settles the tummy...
    I found this in the baby food section...
    Aloa vera juice is good if you can stand it..

I ate very healthy before my first bout...
    now I dont eat raw vegtables at all....

I cook everything..

When you feel better try Mucinex cookies...
    great fiber and they taste good...
    get them by the pharmacy...

You will find that everything has seeds...
    raisins...bananas....jams..

My colon is so bad they want
    to take the whole thing out....

I'm an expert at this
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2009]
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and sorry for not replying sooner. Recuperating from this has been harder and longer than I would have thought. The Cipro and particularly the Flagyl have given me a real beating and has caused me of all things, anxiety, which I have never experienced before, and it is awful, to say nothing of the fatigue, hot flashes, nausea, etc. ... The pain is gone for the most part, but not completely. I go to my gastro on the 12th for a follow up, and I am very anxious. I am reasonable certain he is going to want to perform a colonoscopy in the next few months. That's ok--I've had it before so I will have no apprehension over that procedure. I've been on a low residue diet since the attack and it's not even bothering me since my appetite is off too.

rocky, have you ever considered taking a probiotic? how about a vegetarian diet? I am considering this and was wondering if you had any thoughts on this? Thanks---

Laura

8. sisland

sisland New Member

I don't have any advice but wanted to stop in and say that i'm sorry u had to go through this!!,,Is it at all possible to include Benefiber in your diet?,,,,,Feel better soon!,,,Hugs!,,,sis