Dizziness almost daily, what to do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Jun 16, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

One of my most common (and annoying) problems is my dizziness (sometimes borderline vertigo). Just to mention it, it's nothing new for me, and no, it's not new or old meds or dehydration.

What I
    would like to know is what your doctors have given you to help with your dizziness. Mine makes me feel lightly nauseous.

Also, have your doctor sent you to a neurologist just to rule out other causes? I am just asking since my doc. doesn't do much for me.

Many thanks for any replies!
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi Lena,

I get this and I thought I got over it and it is back. Mine started about a year ago with vertigo and now is dizzyness.

The dizzy feeling is like this at times too:

I sit down, and I get this overwhelming unsteadiness in my head as if I am about to lose grip of everything then it steadies but stays like a gargoyle in my head! It is not the actual vertigo type dizzyness or even regular dizzyness a lot of the time it is this weird in the head sensation. I feel when it is going on totally overwhelmed by a sense of extreme fatigue that gushes over me, a scary type of feeling.

I take Meclazine that helps a little. Took 2mg of valium that helped a little. Now neither of these help.

HOWEVER. The neuro was no help at all. But as I have chronic neck isues, today I got an appt with a neurosurgeon who this receptionist told me are expert at dealing with problems of the neck and head that cuae other symptoms. I feel I am now on the right track as I did not realize there was a difference cbetween a neurologist and neurosurgeon. I thought one was just surgery. Wrong. They treat this sort of thing. Duh well why do I wait a year for help then find out from a receptionist?

Good luck. I will let you know how it goes with me. Ice sometimes helps the dizzy feeling get less. It completey screws up my life.

Love Anne Cromwell
  3. serenety

serenety New Member

I suffer from dizzyness as well & my Ruematologist said there was nothing he could do `cos it was linked to Fibro, Grrrr. I even get them in bed when i turn over with my eyes shut.
    At no time was i offered any other explanation of the cause.
    Hugs Serenety.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am going through a spell of it right now. What to do? If I called my PCP he would say something like Well you are a dizzy blonde. Same doctor that said use Visine for Pink eye. So I do nothing or go to the ER.
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Cromwell,
    interesting that yours went away and then came back. As the years have passed I noticed a pattern where I am more flu-ish in the winter with lost of aches and fevers. In the spring and summer the neck stiffness and pain hits, with migraines, eyeball pain, and dizziness. The dizziness can go as bad as vertigo when I wake up, and the sympotms are so close to stroke it's scary.

It seem to me to be the spinal column that tighten up becuase of chronic stiffness/ inflammation(?) and the bloodflow gets blocked to the brain= dizziness or vertigo.

Wake, really smart idea to ask the pharmacy, the thought passed my fibro brain too for a moment.

Serenety, I have this issue when I lay in bed too! It feels like I'm going to fall off the bed from my odd dizziness! It's awful!

Hayley, I agree about ruling out other causes. I hate when they dump us and assume everything is fibro. Even if it was, we need help with symptoms, etc. I have high BP and postural Tachycardia. Bummer, for sure.

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]