DIZZINESS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by heavenlyanimals, Sep 28, 2005.

1. heavenlyanimals

heavenlyanimals New Member

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BEING REAL DIZZY AT TIMES AND THEN IT CAN BE MILD AT TIMES .ALSO DO YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR KIDNEYS.I HAVE BEEN TAKING ANTIVERT FOR ALONG TIME FOR DIZZINESS AND IT HELPS ,BUT I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IT WAS APART OF THIS FIBRO. I ALSO KEEP BLOOD IN MY URINE WHEN IT IS CHECKED AT THE DOCTORS. I WAS SENT TO A UROLOGIST AND HE SAID SOME PEOPLE JUST DO THAT. THIS FIBRO EFFECTS JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING SO I WAS JUST WANDERING IF THIS IS JUST HAPPENING TO ME OR DO OTHERS SUFFER WITH THESE THINGS TO.THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME . I AM SO THANKFUL I FOUND THIS GROUP AND I WILL PRAY FOR ALL.
  2. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi are you new? well welcome if you are or even if you are not!! Just the last 2 wks off and on I have been getting dizzy, this has never happened to me before.

I have FMS/CFIDS/CEBV/HSV-2, and IBS plus a lot of stuff messed up in my back and hands. I notice when I get dizzy my stomach kills, I don't know what it is but I guess I will have to go see about it, I'm usually down for the whole day when I get it.

take care,

gail
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have a lot of trouble with dizziness. It is no fun. Part of my problem is my neck and shoulders are extremely tight and that is causing some of it. IT can be from meds sometimes too.
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I'm glad you found us, too.

I went through a bad dizzy period a few weeks go. One dizzy spell was so violent that it actually tossed me against the door jam. After heaps of tests, they came to the concluson that they were caused by my being over extended, and CFIDS. They went away in about 3 weeks, after I did almost nothing but rest.

I have protein in my urine, but that is because I'm a diabetic, and has nothing to do with either CFIDS or Fibro.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Keep forging forward. We are here to hep you.

Hugs,
    Tery
  5. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

I also have experienced dizziness (or so I think it is) but I do notice that my neck and shoulders also are very tight and I can't help but wonder if it is actual dizziness or spasms in my neck and shoulders when I lie down or roll over in bed. Do you definitely feel dizzy/vertigo or do you possibly feel like spasms in your neck and shoulders like I am thinking it might be, giving the sensation of dizziness?
  6. sassykat

sassykat New Member

Hi Heavanly...I experience dizziness so severe at times that I can't get out of bed. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it usually lasts for about five to seven days. There is nothing worse than this feeling, it just throws your whole system off. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Sassykat
  7. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

8. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear heavenly animals

I can relate to your dizziness: it can be a really frightening thing if you live alone as I do. I had ear tests for inner ear imbalance and everything was fine. However, what I have found out is that my dizziness is related to my liver function. If my liver is stressed, I get dizzy until it clears. Check this out when you have a dizzy turn:- what have you eaten in the last 8+ hours that could put pressure on your liver?? have you had an emotional flare-up in the last 5+ hours that could put pressure on your liver?? have you come into contact with any chemicals e.g., at the hairdresser, in the yard, in the last 36+ hours that could work through your skin and have to be processed by your liver???? St. Mary's thistle helps clear liver function. If the doctors want to put you on something for your dizziness, check that it is gentle on the liver. My doctor put me on stemetel for the dizziness and it only made me soooo much worse, because of the extra strain it put on the liver. I hope you find this web site as useful and as supportive and I have found it to be.
  9. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I have been chronically dizzy/imbalance problems for five years, ever since I was diagnosed with CFS. I've been to NUMEROUS doctors, each with their own therory as to what is causing it. The only thing that has been ruled out is my ears. I

Check out my posts. I have posted this topic many times and there could be other answers for you. I am dizzy right now, and the fatigue can make it worse, as well as the chronic migraines I get. Today I had what I call a "whip it" spell - a quick, sudden attack of vertigo. This happens on and off with me, and very scary.

No problems with my kidneys. Antivert INCREASED my dizziness - I couldn't get out of bed to get to the bathroom a few years ago.

Yes, thank God for this site. It's nice to know I'm not "crazy!!"

Jennifer
  10. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this post caught my eye, so I finally decided to post. I was recently dx with FMS a couple months ago by a rheumatologist.

I've had a problem with dizziness for a year now that started with a fall last Oct. The rheumatologist thinks the FMS also started from the fall.

I went to a very good ENT balance clinic and they ran all the tests and came to the conclusion that migraines were causing the dizziness. It's called Migraine Associated Vertigo or MAV. With MAV the standard ENG testing is almost always negative. The rotary chair test and computerized dynamic posturgraphy test are the tests that showed the damage to my vestibular system.

Since starting a migraine preventative med, Topamax, in Aug. the more severe vertigo attacks, daily nausea and severe motion sickness I was having have improved. I still have daily disequilibrium, dizziness and extreme dizziness with exercise that is still a problem for me. Vestibular rehab therapy (VRT) exercises will hopefully continue to minimize the rest of the symptoms. Since all the migraines are not completely controlled, it still prevents the VRT from resolving my sx completely.

Hope this helps some of you who are dizzy like me.

Jeanette

Hopefully with time
  11. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I, too, was diagnosed with MAV! I was told to increase my serotonin levels and that would "cure" the dizzy problem. Are your migraines daily?

I didn't do the rotary chair test or posturography. Maybe I should have this done??? - my ENG was neg also. After having that test, I refused to ever have it done again, and not sure I have the courage to do the other two.

I am not able to get my seritonin levels up - I'm too med sensitive to the SSRIs. This has been going on for five years.

I too have daily dysequilibrium (I feel like a drunk) and get dizzy exercising. The exercise dizziness has been a forever thing, though.

I was unable to take Topamax - too strong.

Can you tell me what the name of your doctor was? I saw Robert Baloh, MD at UCLA - supposedly the best. He is doing a study on MAV and I have been called several times from his associate to be part of it, but have always had a migraine when he called and was unable to talk!!!

I feel for you. I thought I was the only one with MAV. But, I was also told that CFS can cause dizziness.

Jennifer
  12. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Dizziness was the first symptom that brought me to a doc altogether. I can vividly remember driving across the Memorial Bridge (connects DC to VA) and the dizziness was so bad that I seriously thought I was gonna drive myself right into the Potomac. It's not so much as a spinning (like when you've had a bit too much to drink), but more of a light-headedness and when I stare at something it actually moves in waves (I'm talking walls and floors, not the ocean). Scary huh? But the neurologist cleared me and I had 2 MRIs of the brain since. I would say that's my worst symptom, worsened by the sleeping problems.
  13. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Jennifer,

you asked: Are your migraines daily?
    I've been on Topamax since Aug and started Amitriptyline for FMS almost a month ago and this is the first month I only had a very little headache trying to catch me during PMS. Today my period started and no headache yet. Prior to that I had several spells of weeks of daily headaches...the longest lasted 6 weeks.

Prior to dx I had awful middle of the spinning vertigo attacks that would wake me up from a dead sleep and last for up to 30 min. The first neurotologist I saw was clueless to the exercise connection and didn't even tell me it was making it worse and contributing to the nightime vertigo attacks. When I slowed down on the exercise it stopped the night attacks.

Now I'm exercising again to try and finish losing weight (already lost 50 since Jan.)and get healthier so of course I'm dizzier, but the Topamax and Amitriptyline must be keeping it from getting as severe as it was before. It's a double edged sword for me. Exercise prevents my vestibular system from healing completely, but it's important to me and my other health issues to get the weight off. With the fibro and the ankle an knee injuries I had I'm hoping the pain will eventually not be so bad if I get some weight off. If I don't do it now, I'll fall back into old habits and it will be hard to get my motivation back if I stop.

Jennifer wrote: I didn't do the rotary chair test or posturography. Maybe I should have this done???

If you saw Dr. Robert Baloh, MD at UCLA I would say he knows what he's doing - he's one of the best when it comes to dx MAV. Many times MAV is based on test results as well as ruling out other things and the doctor taking a careful history. In the area I live the neurotologist and neurologist didn't seem to know anything about MAV, so I went out of state. I live in the Bay Area, but knew of a good balance clinic in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I saw a Dr. Michael Disher there and Tom Boismier, MPH runs the balance clinic. Both extremely knowlegable. I was traveling this summer anyway, so it wasn't a problem to stop and see friends there. At the time I was having a bad problem with sensory overload, motion sickness, dizziness, and driving, the thought of navigating southern CA traffic by myself was overwhelming.

Jennifer: told that CFS can cause dizziness

I wonder if it's actually the CFS that actually causes it or the various underlying disorders like migraines. low blood pressure, and other disieases that it's a symptom of and if more people might have MAV, but aren't dx with it because most doctor's aren't familiar with it yet - just like they're not all familiar with FMS/CFS.

goaska29 wrote: Dizziness was the first symptom that brought me to a doc altogether

me too and then the constant fatigue and cognitive problems.

Your experience driving across the Memorial Bridge sounds scary. I had a similar experience driving through a tunnel I'd driven thru for the last 27 years. The rows of lights in the tunnel sent me into a severe vertigo spell that was very scary when cars are on one side and concrete on the other and your head is spinning very fast like you just got off the tea cup ride at Disneyland. It caught me unexpectedly and completely by surprise because I was feeling okay before I drove in to the tunnel, except for the motion sickness and nausea.

That was the other very strange symptom to suddently be so motion sensitive I felt sick anytime I drove anywhere. It was awful and lasted for 8 months. The Topamax finally cleared that up thank goodness. Feeling nauseous everyday 4 - 8 hours was the worst part of the whole thing for me. I'm so glad to have that symptom 85% gone!!!!
  14. heavenlyanimals

heavenlyanimals New Member

DEAR JFRUSTRATED. I AM CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID ON THE LIVER. WHAT FOODS DO YOU TRY TO AVOID AND IAM HAVING A BAD FLARE ON THE STOMACH AND CHEST RIGHT NOW. I ALSO WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT I CLEAN HOUSES AND OFFICES FO A LIVING AND I USE SCRUBBING BUBBLES AND PLEDGE, VINAGAR , WINDEX STUFF LIKE THAT. I NOTICED WHEN I GOT MY HAIR COLORED I HAD A PROBLEM THE NEXT DAY NOT FEELING WELL HEART RACING AND JUST DID NOT FEEL GOOD. SO I AM WONDERING ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID ON THE LIVER AND WHAT THAT WAS YOU TOOK FOR THE DIZZINESS AND WHERE DO YOU GET IT . I AM ALLERGIS TO SO MUCH MEDICINE THAT THIS DISEASE MAKES IT HARDER ON ME . PLEASE WRITE ME AND LET ME KNOW ON THIS.
  15. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have always had problems with dizziness. I fall alot! I was taking a muscle relaxer called Zanaflex at bedtime and I always get up at night to go to the bathroom I even broke

my ankle. The drs. at the emergency room kept saying that I was taking too many drugs. My drs. said not. So I went ahead and cut back 1 pill. Since then I still get alittle dizzy but haven't fallen since.

I would ? the meds. and try to take time getting up too quick etc, Now as far as the blood in your urine, I would get a 2nd opinion. I did get kidney stones which can happen to people with FM. Keep us posted.
  16. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have always had problems with dizziness. I fall alot! I was taking a muscle relaxer called Zanaflex at bedtime and I always get up at night to go to the bathroom I even broke

my ankle. The drs. at the emergency room kept saying that I was taking too many drugs. My drs. said not. So I went ahead and cut back 1 pill. Since then I still get alittle dizzy but haven't fallen since.

I would ? the meds. and try to take time getting up too quick etc, Now as far as the blood in your urine, I would get a 2nd opinion. I did get kidney stones which can happen to people with FM. Keep us posted.
  17. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

GOOD LUCK! PIRT

[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2005]
  18. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

19. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I am glad the meds are working for you - they did the opposite for me and made me more dizzy; unfortunately, many meds also make me more dizzy. I am also nauseated a lot, and relate totally to what you are saying. My migraines have been EVERY SINGLE DAY for over a year-and-a-half. I recently started seeing a chiropractor who is cracking my neck, and for the first time in that long, I am finding some relief - not as severe, and two Midrin can knock it most of the time. At one point I was taking 6-8 Excedrin Migraine plus 4 to 6 Midrin, just to get a couple of hours of relief.

I wish you the best and hope you are 100% cured soon!!

Jennifer
  20. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I am glad the meds are working for you - they did the opposite for me and made me more dizzy; unfortunately, many meds also make me more dizzy. I am also nauseated a lot, and relate totally to what you are saying. My migraines have been EVERY SINGLE DAY for over a year-and-a-half. I recently started seeing a chiropractor who is cracking my neck, and for the first time in that long, I am finding some relief - not as severe, and two Midrin can knock it most of the time. At one point I was taking 6-8 Excedrin Migraine plus 4 to 6 Midrin, just to get a couple of hours of relief.

Why would exercise prevent the vestibular system from healing? What does help it to heal?

I wish you the best and hope you are 100% cured soon!!

Jennifer
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2005]