Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Good afternoon. This is a subject I asked about years ago. Then the problem eased, but now it seems to be back again. Are there any of you who have experienced or know about CFIDS/ME and dizziness/wooziness? A few days ago I had a really bad bout of it for the first time in a couple of years. I was out running necessary errands when it hit, and it was bad enough that I cut short my plans and went home. Thought I was going to faint.

A bit of lorazepam helped a bit, but not enough. So, I ate a candy bar. It eased for about twenty minutes or so and then hit again. That's when I sat in my car for a bit and then went home. I remember that in the past, eating something usually helped, but that was for sudden weakness. At one time I had been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I figured that was what was going on. This time I was downright woozy.

As I said, the candy bar helped as did the bit of lorazepam, and sitting in the car with the window rolled down and the cold air blowing in helped. However, this was bad enough to be scary. I checked blood pressure when I got home; it was high, but not high enough to cause this. Can hypoglycemia come sneaking back after a couple of years? Do any of you have bouts like this?

Any ideas?
  2. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

Dizziness is another symptoms of this illness.....of course there could be other causes--such as hypoglycemia....in the beginning, when cfids took me out, i was so dizzy and woozy--i felt almost drunk. The dizziness can come and go. Of course, blood pressure and hypoglycemia can be compounding factors. I always try to lie down or eat something and try and relax--because anxiety will make it worse.

In my opinion, and others in the holistic community believe hypoglycemia is a symptom of prediabetes. Hypoglycemia can also come from exhausted adrenals. I know someone who was treated by a holistic chiropractor who cured his hypoglycemia just be treating his adrenal glands.

I also believe the sleep disorders can contribute to bouts of extreme dizziness. As well as candida and lyme disease.

As the years pass, my bouts of dizziness have greatly been reduced. But that took a great deal of time. I have spent years, chippping away at other things I had going on--such as hypoadrenia, candida, hypothyroidism, lyme disease, parasites, heavy metal poisoning, and more! All of this has reduced many of my dizzy spells. This was no easy task. I still am exhausted and sleep deprived much of the time....

Also, do not discount having subclinical hypothyroidism--this can also cause dizziness.
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks so much for replying in depth. I appreciate it. I didn't know sleep disorders could contribute to these dizzy bouts. As for hypothyroidism--my last tests showed normal, but my doctor has ordered another complete panel. Maybe that will show something. I'm really tired of not being able to make plans because of this latest, recurring development. Phooey on CFIDS!
  4. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

I hear ya MsE--it can really bring ya down.
  5. Waiting2Breathe

Waiting2Breathe New Member

Hi, I hope you are feeling better. I have had CFS for the last 12 years(I'm 44) and from day 1 I have either felt off-balanced(like the dimensions of the room aren't quite right) or I had room-spinning dizzy spells.

This went on for a few years until I found a doctor(regular GP) who gave me 25 mg of Meclizine(sp?).

What a relief! Although I still have the off-balance feeling, it takes care of the room spinning if I take it when I feel an attack coming on.

This med isn't addictive and I don't take it every day..just when I get that weird feeling.

Hope this helps and God bless.
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

You know, I guess when I wrote "dizzy" I used the wrong word because the room doesn't spin. My head starts to feel really strange, I get light-headed, and I feel like I'm going to faint. I think "woozy" would describe it better. And very weak. It's weird.

I remember now that when I first came down with this stuff, I used to think I felt like I was walking on an air mattress on a lake. It's still sort of like that. Totally weird sensation and I don't like it one bit.
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, it does feel like blood sugar wooziness. I know that sugary stuff alone is not the answer, but it can take off the edge in an emergency. Needs to be followed by protein. It is a horrible feeling! I wonder why getting into cold outdoor air helps? More oxygen or what?

Whatever, this is one little nasty connected to this DD that can keep me at home and off the highway. Years ago I quit driving much out of my immediate area because of this. Here in my home territory, my own town and environ, I can get off the road quickly if I need to. However, that isn't always possible on the freeway, so I no longer drive busy, four-lane roads. I take the bus when I have to go off the peninsula if I'm unable to hop a ride with a friend or relative.
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

Right on! You describe exactly what I'm dealing with. It always helps when people write to say the've dealt with the same thing. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but at least it is a validation that I'm not a nut case. Thank you all for writing.