dizzyness and tremors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jimleth, May 27, 2003.

1. jimleth

jimleth New Member

Aside from the usual nasty pain from FMS I also have been dealing with dizzyness and what are called non-specific tremors. The dizzyness is worse when there is a lot of activity around me and the tremors are mostly at night before I fall asleep. My left hand shakes, my right leg shakes and I have several twitches of my neck as well. I have had ears and eyes checked and have been to a neurologist and the response is "another FMS problem. Has anyone else had these problems?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Jim, welcome to the board. Is it possible that some of your prescription meds are causing these problems?

I used to have RLS, but I started taking magnesium and have not had a problem with this since then.

I take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) and also ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) at night for deep sleep. It also eliminated the nightly twitching.

Most people with FM/CFS are deficient in magnesium, which heals the muscles, and is also a natural tranquilizer, it relaxes the muscles.

You can go to the 'Store' link at the top of this page, and read more about both of these suppements.

Also, do you drink water? You need to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day.

All the above has changed my whole life with FM. I am a good 80% better since I have been doing these things everyday.

I do not know what is causing your dizziness, but that could be the meds too. Check with your pharmacist, he can tell you more than most doctors about medications.

Let us know how you are doing. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl

3. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that you get dizzy and shaky. Sometimes it can be a bit disconcerting, can't it? I also get the shakes, I find when I'm really tired - or exhausted - and know my body needs to rest. When I get the shakes, I find my right arm usually starts. I feel like my body is shaking all over sometimes - but when I look at myself - I'm not really shaking, but "feel" like I'm shaking on the inside. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

Anyway, I guess what helps is going to bed and getting a GOOD REST, and sleep. Recently, I have also been to two sessions of Bowen Therapy, which has somewhat relieved any symptoms I have had for a period ... but then they eventually come back. But it's good for the time being. Maybe you could try this therapy out?

Hope you find some help. If you do, let me know!
    Blessings,
    Sparrowshell
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

has always been dizziness. I believe mine is caused by muscle tension in the neck. I would descibe it as like being on a boat, or being drunk, and is worse with movement around me. The only thing that ever helped me was a drug called stematil, and this was only effective for 1.5 years.Most people seem to think that stematil is only used for nausea, however it can be helpful for some types of dizziness. I believe it works by sedating the brain stem, and thus slowing down body position messages to brain. I don't know about the tremors, although I do get muscle twitching after exercise. Relaxation exercises, and a relaxed attitude, are the only things I have found that help most of my FM symptoms. Sorry can't be more helpful.
    All the best.
    Robyn.
  5. jimleth

jimleth New Member

Shirl,
    Thank you for your helpful information. I do drink a LOT of water but I have not heard about the magnesium problem before. I'll check with my doctor on this. Also, I have found that Ambien is useful when sleep is difficult.

And a personal note...we are the proud "parents" of three lovely Shetland Sheepdogs.

Again, thanks for the helpful information.
  6. jimleth

jimleth New Member

Sparrowshell,
    Thanks for your thoughtful information. And yes, the twitching and shakes are VERY disconcerting. I have tried Myofacia Release Therapy to no avail and the only relief I get is when I finally do get to sleep.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
  7. jimleth

jimleth New Member

Robyn,
    Thanks for your helpful information. This dizzyness has been serious enough to require me not to drive for several weeks at a time. Being in a crowded room can set it off like a time bomb. The doctors have only been able to tell me that it is a "nerve ending thing" and that it was triggered by a nasty viral infection I had two years ago. The trouble is, it hasn't gone away.
    Thanks again,
    Jim