DMSO & pain relief -- other than IC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Aug 25, 2003.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I did a search on DMSO, but could only find posts about DMSO used for interstitial cystitis (IC), not joint pain relief.

So, I am wondering if anyone's used it for joint or muscle relief, and what your results were?

I've tried MSM capsules, but can't take much before I get intestinal cramps. Yet my feet ache overall, and my hand has been hurting since I fell over my dog on it - can't grip easily since. No swelling anywhere or bruising or anything.

I am sending for some DMSO, but would really like some feedback from anyone who's tried it for this kind of pain.

Thanks, Victoria

2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'd heard about it a long time ago as well but also had reservations.

However, I also get Dr. Whitaker's newsletter, and he has always said studies have shown it's safe; he uses it himself. From what I understood, I thought low amounts don't cause the taste. (?)

I also wonder if use for only a while is necessary. I'd used MSM, glucosamine/chond., boron, SAMe, etc. in high doses satisfactorily for a bone spur that had basically crippled me but was inoperable. I still take all the above regularly at lower doses except the MSM for reasons mentioned with no problem from the spur. (higher doses didn't helped my current problem).

So now I need to try something different....Anybody else?

Victoria
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

& hoping for more responses?

Victoria
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have a friend that swears by DMSO, but I have not used it myself. His only complaint was that it caused 'garlic breathe':)

I had a pulled muscle in my lower back lately, and Nanna told me to use 'Flexall', it really worked well. it comes in a gel or a tubed cream, she said the tube was stronger but I had to settle for the Gel, could not find the tube in my neck of the woods.

There is another rub that I use that is great for arthritis, and even the FM pain its; 'Banalg', been around a longtime but very strong and effective too.

HOpe you get more feedback on the DMSO.

Shalom, Shirl

5. victoria

victoria New Member

It is still used by vets regularly from what I've read.

I found some DMSO gel roll-on yesterday at one of our healthfood stores and used it on my hands along with the contents of an MSM capsule. I figured if it can transport stuff intradermally, it might as well transport some MSM.

My hands got quite warm, and today the hand that was injured several months ago is feeling much better.

Will let you all know in a couple of weeks how things are.

Victoria
  6. wle

wle New Member

..........as hubby used DSMO on Quarter Horses. I asked him for some for my knee and he said that it was not for human use. That he even used gloves when he put it on the horses. Is it a different strength for humans? It it even approved for humans? The one fear I have is that is horses at least the DSMO took away the pain completely away - which leaves open the possiblilty of futher joint or muscle injury! Coments on this? WLE

[ advertisement ]