DMV Placard issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Supermami, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. Supermami

    Supermami New Member

    I'm new to the site but was diagnosed more than 10 years ago.

    I asked my doctor about getting a placard and was told that is not possible in California for Fibro. It was only possible for serious joint trouble like RA, and since there is no serious trouble that can be x-rayed I am not eligible.

    I looked at the DMV site and it does seem to be the case. See the wording below.
    •A diagnosed disease or disorder that significantly limits the use of lower extremities.
    The above item was listed with other disabilities such as heart disease and others.

    I could find no current information on the Boards here as to this issue.

    Please, share your experiences. I don't know if I need to struggle with the DMV and my doctor, or just clench my teeth and smile. If there is anything someone living with Fibro knonws it is how to clench and smile.

  2. karynwolfe

    karynwolfe New Member

    It's not the DMV's decision, as far as I know. You get a form from the DMV, take it to your doctor and have him/her fill it out... If your doctor won't do it then maybe you should see another doctor who takes you seriously.

    That's my two-cents.

  3. fmisreal

    fmisreal New Member

    Do you have other medical conditions that the Dr could list on the application?

    I have osteo arthritis and bursitis and bone spurs on my hip, I got a placard with the Drs info on the DMV application. He did not list the CFS or FMS on the application
  4. dafoefan31

    dafoefan31 New Member

    I live in California, I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was given mine at age 42 by my Rheumy.

    Download the form from the California DMV site. Take it to you doctor. If he says You should walk for more exercise (which most think we can do), tell Him/Her that You need to save what little energy You have for wherever You are going, not a long walk to/from the car.

    Good Luck!
  5. goneee

    goneee New Member

    I agree with everyone else here. Your doctor is the one that determines this. He fills out a form, you take it to DMV and receive your Placard. I live in Virginia and had no trouble at all. There was a small fee $5.00 and my doctor checked the box for a permanent card, so no more forms will ever have to be fillled out. Every five years, DMV sends a bill for the fee and to be signed. I mail it back and within a couple of days I have the new one.

    Sorry you are having so much trouble. Don't give up.

    Take care,

  6. Supermami

    Supermami New Member

    Thanks everyone for your feedback. The only doctor I have seen is my regular doctor. I am with an HMO and I think I will be asking for a referral to Pain Mgmt. I am just so tired of passing up all the places I want to go because I just can't make it. If my husband drives, he will drop me off.
  7. tig519

    tig519 Member

    Only has pulmonary or skeletal reasons for application.
  8. AuntTammie

    AuntTammie New Member

    tig when did you try to apply? it is possible to get it in IL for CFIDS and FM......the current form lists, in addition to the lung and heart issues;

    "cannot walk without the assist of another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or assistive device"......and it also lists, "is severely limited in the person's ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition"

    FMS and CFS are neurological conditions, and many of us need assistive devices, so people in IL who truly need a placard can get one for either of those reasons
  9. gknee

    gknee New Member

    I live in California and have a placard from the DMV with FM. To tell you the truth all the Dr has to do is fill it out with anything, They are not even looked at. If your doctor signed it you get it. The DMV do not have the right to play dr and decide it shouldn't be given. If it is signed you get it.
  10. mbofov

    mbofov Active Member

    Your doctor is wrong. I'm in California and got one of the placards about 2 years ago. I have CFS, also cardiomyopathy due to CFS. To be honest, I don't remember what my doctor put on the form, but it is definitely not something that can be seen with an x-ray.

    My sister was the one who encouraged me to get it, and I'm really glad I did. It does make it possible for me to do more things, as, someone else mentioned, I don't have to spend my precious energy making a long walk from the back of the parking lot.

    As the others say, your problem is with your doctor and not the DMV. I hope it works out for you -


[ advertisement ]