DNA and Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

This started out OT...my husband and I took part in the National Geographic's Genographic Project which tests certain portions of DNA to determine deep ancestry. We got our results last week.

For me, I was determined to be haplogroup 'T', which is common in about 10% of European ancestry. I've read elsewhere that this group migrated out of Africa, through northern Italy, and many continued into Ireland. Although this is very, very general, and we're talking about 50+ generations ago, this did not surprise me...from what I know about my maternal line (mother's mother's mother's mother's, etc.), my 3great grandmother was born in Ireland in 1811.

Because I'm me, I took the haplogroup 'T' category and plugged it into a search engine. On the very first page of hits, I came across an abstract on a medical study stating that haplogroup 'T' is 4 to 5 times more likely to be effected by peripheral neuropathy than other DNA types.

Somehow that didn't surprise me either! Figures!
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

How did you find out abou this study and how much did it cost? Very interesting Lynn
  3. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I too am very interesed on where you can get the tests done. I have peripheral neuropathy along with FM. My FM is somewhat under control, but my neuropathy is something else. I take cymbalta and nurontin along with Lortabs. But, know matter what, I still have problems, that's why I'm up right now. It's alomost 4:30am central time and really haven't slept too much because of my feet. Keep us posted.

Karen
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I actually became interested in doing the DNA testing because of my interest in genealogy, although the National Geographic's information makes it clear that they are looking at very deep ancestry, and nothing recent.

You can get info by clicking on the box on the NG home page -- I think the name is Genographic Project. The testing is rather expensive, and is not for health reasons -- the overage from tests goes to sponsor testing indigenous cultures around the globe. With the test you get a DVD on the project as well.

Men have y- testing (male-male-male line), women have the mDNA test. Further testing is available through various places, and a number of location-based or surname-based groups are in the midst of projects as well.

In fact, two days after my husband posted his info to a location-based project, he was contacted with further information and a possible match on his paternal line. We've been in touch with the project coordinator since, as she and her brother have his surname in their line and are trying to determine the connection. The location is rather isolated, so there's a good possibility that the lines converge at some point back. It may be possible to determine the connection w/historic documents instead of more testing, so we're taking that route at the moment, although we wouldn't rule out doing a test for more DNA markers to get a better picture.

If the line comes through, we'd have a documented ancestry back to the mid-1500s for my husband. I'm a bit jealous -- my father was adopted, so I can't even get a biological surname on him...not to mention, it's a big hole in my own health history.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2005]