DNA Connexions Uses At Home Urine Test Kit for Lyme & Coinfections

Discussion in 'Laboratories & Diagnostic Tests' started by Nanie46, May 2, 2018.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Great interview on the free online Chronic Lyme Disease Summit 3 on May 1, 2018 about a newer lab that is having good results with their PCR testing. They test for more than just Lyme disease and have plans to expand their testing even more.

Leslie Douglas, PhD from DNA Connexions, a PCR based lab in Colorado talked about the Lyme Panel they currently run. Cost of the Lyme panel is currently $500 and a doctor's order is NOT needed. This is a urine provocation test. A massage or exercise is recommended before the test to provoke the bacteria to increase in the urine. Their website is in the link.

From their website:

"The Lyme panel tests for 4 different genes that are found in Borrelia burgdorferi, the most common cause of Lyme disease in the United States, and 8 common Lyme disease co-infectors including Babesia microti, Babesia divergens, Babesia duncani, Bartonella bacilliformis, Bartonella henselae, Bartonella quintanta, Borrelia miyamotoi, Borrelia recurrentis, Ehrlichia chaffensis and Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Testing of Lyme co-infectors (other tick-transmitted organisms) indicates likely infection with the Lyme spirochete as well.

A positive PCR result from the DNA Connexions Lyme test indicates the presence of DNA from B. burgdorferi and/or other co-infectors. A negative result does not prove a patient is not infected with a tick borne infection, rather it indicates the absence of detectable Lyme and/or other tick borne co-infections. A patients ability to fight the disease, stage of infection, and timing of courses of antibiotics are only some of the factors that may affect the detectability of the spirochetes DNA."

http://dnaconnexions.com/Lyme-Panel-Test-DNA-connexions.html
  2. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Alas, I can't afford the $$$ for this test, and I'm sure it's not covered by Medicare, is it?
    Barry.
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Barry,

I do not think this is covered by Medicare, unfortunately.

When I was tested through IGeneX in 2009, I had to pay individually for tests for Lyme and some co-infections which was quite pricey, especially since I did some antibody tests and some PCR testing.

$500 isn't cheap, but I'm happy to see a test being offered that covers 11 different borrelia and co-infection species.

A doctor told me she was having good results with this lab being able to find the infections.

Leslie Douglas, PhD, from DNA Connexions said in her interview on the Chronic Lyme Disease Summit 3, that primers are specifically designed to match the DNA that will be copied in PCR testing. She said the difference between this testing and other PCR testing is in the primers.

It's also convenient that a doctor's order is not required.