do any muscle relaxers actually work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by floridagrl, Jun 1, 2008.

1. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I take cymbalta and provigil for energy and am at my max dose of cymbalta. The dr has added effexor for a while but it did not help. I have also tried flexeril, soma, and zanaflex to no avail, all at max doses. I stretch do massage, and hot baths. Is there anything I am missing?
  2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

boy, i wish i knew. i'll be checking for replies on this thread also.

i have tried flexeril, zanaflex, and now am on 350 mg of soma 2x a day.

my muscles are still so rediculously tight, it's unreal.

i also stretch, get massages, do hot baths, heating pads, and use Aspercreme (which does help to some small extent).

there's got to be something else?

sorry you are hurting also, i hope we both can find some relief soon.<3
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I wish we allowed to share places you can get stuff that helps. There is a lady near us who makes her own products, she sells to locals and it is called muscle soothe, it is made from herbs with olive oil base. You can rub it on and you can actually feel the muscles letting go.

I have a horrible time with muscles in my left back, neck and if it were not for this it would cause me mega headaches when the neck tighten down.

I wish everyone could have access to it.
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I have tried about 10 different muscle relaxers for fibro and none work. I found that it is not the muscles that are the problem, it is just pain everywhere, not like muscle soreness.

I have so many prescriptions for muscle relaxers, it is ridiculous. My new doctor states that they won't help people with fibro as fibro isn;t really in the muscles, it is more in the nerves and bone.
  5. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I use Soma most of the time, but my doctor gave me Valium 10 mg every 8 hours for when the spasms are worse. That helps a bit more than the Soma.

M J
  6. becc

becc New Member

I take Baclofen - 25mg 3 times a day.

I have pretty bad muscle spasms and it helps them. I still have a fair amount of pain when I'm taking it but on the few occasions I've tried to stop taking it, I've definitely noticed a difference.

7. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I may ask to try that. Seems like I am just popping pez with the others.
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The best thing you can take to help your muscles is a balanced Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement.

Taken twice a day this will help your muscles relax and took away virtually all of my muscle pain.

9. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I have tried the calcium and magnesium, guess I need to include the zinc as well.
  10. jole

jole Member

Like the rest of you, my muscle spasms and pain is nearly unbearable and keeps me from doing so many things. I have tried muscle relaxers, cal/mag/zinc, etc. to no avail.

The only thing that helps me is a rub on from a MLM company that I can't mention. But even it only helps for about an hour. Does give me enough relief to get a few things done before the pain is back full force though.

The stretching, mild exercise etc. does not seem to help me either...doc says to push through the pain, but that's rediculous 'cause then I spend the next day unable to get out of bed, which defeats the entire purpose. (Wish they could understand that.)

Honestly, I don't think there is an answer....I've tried everything...mega doses of vit/minerals, etc. and no help yet other than the analgesic cream.

Wishing all of us relief....
  11. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Chiropractors are experts in the care of the bones, nerves, muscles, and connective tissues that make up about 60% of your body. I decided to see a chiropractor who also has extensive training in Nutrition and Wellness. I developed Fibromyalgia two weeks ago. The pain was horrible. Because of the adjustments being made to my spine, plus a supplement he recommended I'm almost completely pain free. Until I went to this chiro, I had no idea that they do so much more than crack necks and poke at bones.
  12. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've tried a few but none have worked for me. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has found one that does.

13. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I also get massages and tmj treatments. It only helps shortly though. I am so frustrated.
  14. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I think that as our nerves send out signals of pain, the muscle's try to come to the rescue and that gives us the tightening up that we all experience. I take the generic of flexeril and find that it helps me more then anything that I have tried so far and the list is long from narcotics to tylenol. P