Do any of you check your sugar levels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TracyV, Oct 12, 2002.

1. TracyV

TracyV New Member

Since I got bad with FM, I started craving sweets, I mean it's uncontrolable. I never was one to even like many sweets before. And I really get to feeling bad and get a headache when I crave them. Well I decided to start checking my sugar levels when I feel like this and it turns out my levels are dropping pretty low, like in the 60's. I have never had a problem with diabettes before, I had the thing to check it because of my husband having diabetties. I'm going for a check up Thrus. and will talk to my doctor about it. I wonder if this has something to do with my recent weight problems. I exercise and still lose nothing. I don't sit around eating all day, I'm a busy person and don't have the time. I wonder if this is common with FM?
    Hugs,
    Tracy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  2. TracyV

TracyV New Member

Since I got bad with FM, I started craving sweets, I mean it's uncontrolable. I never was one to even like many sweets before. And I really get to feeling bad and get a headache when I crave them. Well I decided to start checking my sugar levels when I feel like this and it turns out my levels are dropping pretty low, like in the 60's. I have never had a problem with diabettes before, I had the thing to check it because of my husband having diabetties. I'm going for a check up Thrus. and will talk to my doctor about it. I wonder if this has something to do with my recent weight problems. I exercise and still lose nothing. I don't sit around eating all day, I'm a busy person and don't have the time. I wonder if this is common with FM?
    Hugs,
    Tracy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  3. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

YES, I GET THE CRAVINGS MYSELF.
    HOW DO YOU CHECK SUGAR LEVELS?
    ALSO, SOMETHING ELSE I NOTICED IS, I GET SO TIRED AFTER EATING MEALS (DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT IS) AND FIND MYSELF DOZING OFF A LOT. QUITE A FEW TIMES I FELL ASLEEP WHILE ON THE COMPUTER. (WAKE UP WITH MY HEAD ON THE KEYBOARD. LOL)
    IS THAT A SYMPTOM OF DIABETES TOO? JUST CURIOUS.........

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Tracy,
    I can honestly say I too have gone through the sweet cravings and tried to get the sweet taste without the calories.
    So, I opted for Nutrasweet products.
    After reading many messages here on removing this product from your diet, it could help or has helped FM symptoms.
    Well, I have been off diet products now for 2 weeks and am not having the sweet cravings. I drink caffeine free Dr. Pepper instead of diet. I also find I don't want but maybe 2 a day, as with the diet it was 4-5. And I have noticed some weight loss, minor, but I'll take what I can get.
    Also, I have just a wee-bit more energy as well. I don't feel like crashing after lunch for a nap.

My husband monitors my glucose with a monitoring kit every 6 months. I have a family history of diabetes. I use to worry about it with uncles/aunts that had the disease. Now,
    both my sisters do...it's getting too close for comfort now!

You may have hypoglycemia, low blood sugar and you can be tested for it.

Hope you find the answer soon,
    granmama
  5. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I don't know if its fibro related or not, but i have noticed when i eat high protein and low carb, no sugar i feel better. The pain is always the same for me, but i think i hypoglycimia. Mom has diabetes and when i was preganat i had gestational diabetes. I don't eat sugar or white flour. So it would be hard for me to tell. I just feel better eating nutritionally. I also take an array of vitamines, minerals and supplements. nice to meet you.
    jean ann
  6. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I crave sweets sometimes, but mostly carbohydrates, which eventually turns into sugar.

I have gone to a number of doctors lately that have run blood tests that include measuring glucose.

The problem is that I usually don't fast before the appointment, so the number is meaningless.

Fortunately I have a thorough PCP and when my glucose showed up high on my last non-fasting test, he asked me to get it rechecked while fasting. It was within the norm, but not by very much.

I have gained quite a bit of weight over the past few years, and I'm sure that my poor eating habits are to blame.

It's a lot easier to say you're going to change, than to really do so. I am trying, though.

Sandra

7. jetmek

jetmek New Member

Yup I also need sugar fixes and my energy doesnt last for long after I eat. My sugar level was tested by a diabetic friend and was actually low not hypo glycemic lo just lower than normal. I have also gained weight I find hard to lose but then i go through a spell where i lose the weight . I hope you find the answer and hang in there Jenny
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us with FMS have reactive hypoglycemia. We crave sweets and when we eat them, our bodies pump out insulin like crazy, resulting in low blood sugar.

Continuing to eat carbs will eventually lead to insulin resistance in which the body will no longer react to the insulin and the cravings will worsen. Since the insulin no longer works, the body begins to store all the glucose as fat, especially around the middle. Cholesterol will climb and often, so will the blood pressure. This is now known as Syndrome X. There is a very good book that Klutzo told us about on this subject, "Nutritional Guide for Syndrome X."

The last phase of this downward spiral is full-blown Diabetes Type II, morbid obesity, cholesterol so high that medication is necessary, and elevated blood pressure necessitating more medication. The meds don't work, because the cause of the problems has not been eliminated: Eating carbs. Further complications occur, like joint damage from carrying too much weight and interactions between meds.

All of this can be eliminated through diet. It is necessary in the beginning to eliminate anything made of flour, sugar in all its forms, white rice, and white potatoes. This includes almost all processed foods. Using the first level of the Syndrome X diet, the Atkins diet, or the Suzanne Somers diet will bring amazing results. You can have all the "good" types of fat you want including cream and butter. You never go hungry and feel satisfied because fat in the diet is much more filling and satisfying than sugar.

I've lost 18 pounds in three weeks. More importantly, my high blood pressure has returned to low/normal. I will ask my doc to check my cholesterol next month to see if it has lowered too.

Carbs are addictive and one can never get satisfaction from them, only the desire and drive for more. Continuing to eat carbs unrestricted is the worst thing anyone can do and leads to a downward spiral of health so profound that it will lead to serious decline in health in addition to what we already have to endure. The good news is that it's reversable and in the second level of these diets, one can eventually have some bread, pasta, or even dessert once in a while.

Love, Mikie