Do any of you experience and understand this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Feb 21, 2007.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Here's my question: why do the miserable symptoms of an exacerbation disappear suddenly? Now, by "suddenly" I mean just that: immediate relief for no discernible reason.

For over a week I haven't been able to do much of anything except care for my own needs. Had to cancel all appointments, couldn't walk any farther than the mailbox, you know the score.

Then suddenly this morning at approximately 11:00 AM the misery disappeared. I was able to walk normally, the exhaustion and shortness of breath eased, and my ability to concentrate has improved.

I don't get it. Why does this happen? Have you experienced this? Have any of you read anything about this? It feels as if someone plugged me back into the electric outlet.

But I know I can't expect it to continue. The plug loosens and drops out as quickly as it goes in. What the heck is going on?
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

It can be something as simple as a warming in the weather, which is typical for me, or for no reason at all. It is very frustrating, especially when scheduling appointments and then having to cancel. Unfortunately, in my experience anyway, it is the nature of the beast so to speak. Enjoy those times when you do feel good and don't push yourself too hard during those times, it can lead to a flare.

God Bless
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

This has only happened to me once in 3 years. For 2-3 hours I felt almost normal. Pain level was very low and I had energy and felt good!

I looked at it like a gift from God and gave thanks for it.

I will say I have recently started a new medication, Provigil. It is helping my energy level and my ability to focus.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

Did the relief from symptoms come on rapidly? Immediately?
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have experienced that also. But the dern stuff always comes back ... lol. Enjoy the "moment" ;-)
  6. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i havent had days that good but i do get better days where the symptoms are much more tolerable...my mood always shifts to a happier one naturally since i feel better. But for me the longest its lasted was about 2 days max. Hope yours lasts a life time! :)
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I was sitting a work and got up to go across the room. Sat back down and it just hit me. I wasn't huring hardly at all and had energy and felt good.

8. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks for responding. I am still wondering if anyone knows what happens in our systems to cause these rapid changes? Or is that just one of the many mysteries of this dd that hasn't been explained? Is it the brain that causes the quick improvement? It feels like it's in the brain. I had sort of settled on that as the cause but lately I've been wondering if more had been written that any of you had run across. I haven't found anything that explains it.
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

Okay! You know exactly what I'm talking about. How long did your "healthy moment" last? In the past the longest stretch I've had was a three-month hiatus, and when that ended I was devastated. I had fallen for the idea of health. But that time I felt really good; not just a lot better, but really good. How much of a break did you get?
  10. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Those are the ones that carry me through the skepticism from others. If it's all in my head when I "think" I'm sick, then I must have super@$%*ing powers today!
  11. victoria123

victoria123 New Member

Have been feeling much, much better & very energised for a few weeks since re-starting my grain-free diet again.
    But when I woke up this morning, I was absolutely, completely pain-free. I felt like I was floating on cotton wool & quite euphoric this morning at work. I've just had lunch in the office & it's 1.15pm and I still feel the same.
    I've only had about 5-6 pain free days in the last 17months - mainly because of a prolapsed disc (sciatic pain), complicating my FM symptoms.
    It always amazes me how wonderful these "normal" hours (or day) are.
    A treasured space of time which just pops up out of the blue. I can only smile to myself, because normal people cannot possibly understand how it feels. Isn't it just soooooo uplifting!
    I wish I knew how to "turn this tap on" every day & every night. But today gives me hope for some kind of future.
    Having said that, I am feeling so good on this grain-free diet.
    A few more FM or CFS sufferers might like to try it.
    Victoria
    PS It's cheaper than supplements & drugs too!
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks for the good laugh! I needed that.
  13. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

That was me yesterday...I suddenly felt 100% NORMAL!!!

I was stupid and did 20 minutes of walk/run on the tread mill. I slept all day today and my massage chair isn't helping.

Of course, it is supposed to snow tomorrow.

Who knows...

Argh, Joann
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

I like your words about a "treasured space of time that just pops up out of the blue." A grain free diet, huh? And it is helping? Good. I'll see if I can find an article about it. Thanks.
  15. MsE

MsE New Member

I celebrated my "good day" by taking a short walk and spending a few minutes on my exercise bike. I have to admit I was very cautious about spending too much time doing either because I don't want this "feeling better" experience to disappear by tomorrow.
  16. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Smarty pants!

I have been SO good about pacing myself for several weeks now. In the past I would push and push until everything on my to-do list was ta-done! Finally got smart and sit, nap or stretch when my body tells me to.

I guess there must be a smidgen of optimist in me...when I felt normal yesterday, it didn't even dawn on me that it would come back today...I think at the moment I thought I was cured.

Next time I feel normal I will be sure to wear my smarty pants and take it easy!

I wonder if I had napped all day if I would have felt even better today...who knows.

Joann
  17. MsE

MsE New Member

Well, Joann, face it: When one reaches 72, everything slows down! So I was reporting/bragging on what I didn't really have much choice about. And that doesn't really count. :) Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Hey, do you suppose I'm now the oldest member of this board? Does that make me the Queen Mother? Grin.
  18. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Ok...this might sound a bit "agist", but 72???? You have the sense of humor of a 42 year old!!! LOVE IT!

I want to officially change your name to "smarty pants"!

A math challenge question:

If I am 41 and feel 72, how old does a 72 year old with fibo feel?

Answer:

The same as the 41 year old...cruddy!

Must tell you, I woke up this morning and my legs were so sore from running on the tread mill, but it was GRRRReat! The rest of me feels normal (for now) and I can now understand the difference between my usual muscle discomfort and the sensation of over-used muscles.

Hope you have a GRRRReat day too MsE/ Queen mum!

Joann
  19. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

When I behave myself, stay warm (almost sweating) and take all my herbals and Transfer Factors, I'm better.

If your condition is viral, it could be that you kept them submerged for awhile.

Stay away from sugar, help me since my daughter loves to cook desserts...I don't have a prayer with her around. Who can resist the fresh baked smell of brownies, cookies and sweet breads.

"Viruses breathe sugar" William Wong N.D.

I also turned by Telephone closet into a Sauna. Heat lamp and a 1500 Watt electric heater. I always feel good afterwards. My armpits smell real bad as toxins come out.
  20. MsE

MsE New Member

Well my legs feel sore from walking to the bathroom. So there. :)
    (I guess that comment really should have gone on the chit-chat board, huh? Okay. I'll be good.)
    edited for major spelling error :)[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]