Do any of you guys work and wish you could get SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swollen, Jun 16, 2008.

1. swollen

swollen New Member

Hey I been working since I was 15 with my first summer job and been working since and still is I been diagnose with fibromyalgia in 2003 but kept on working because I know if I sign up for disability I won't get it because I am only 41 and my evaluation is excellent on all my jobs performances and the doctors see no reason for me to stop working. but I have pain everyday and sometimes just wish there was a way to just stop working without a lot of justifying and judgements.then I think about two pay checks a month or sometimes 3 and filing income taxes at the end of the year and benefits health and life insurance and saving and investments keeps me from changeing my mind .I know that with SSD I'll be living on a fixed income and medicade and medicare will take over my benefits which could be a bother and scared of my care won't be the same.But I just wish I could not work and have all the the grand life perks without hassles.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  2. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

It would be awesome not to work. I've been working since I was 15 too and am now 47. Every day is awful, with the pain and the exhaustion, but right now we've got $5,800 going out each month, just for living expense bills, no extras (we live in a tiny 900 sq ft house), so there's no way in hell we can survive on 1 paycheck (well, we could if that paycheck were 1500 a week, which, of course, it is not). Actually, I need to get a second job, just to live.

If I could only win the lottery.......
  3. Kristina512

Kristina512 New Member

HI LADIES. I AM ONLY 22 AND I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TODAY. SO, AGE IS NOT AN ISSUE. I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR 7 YEARS BUT MY BODY JUST COULD NOT HANDLE IT. I HAVE SEVERAL HEALH PROBLEMS BUT IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT TO TRY. I AM LUCKY THAT I HAVE A FAMILY TO HELP OUT WHEN NEEDED AND A HELPFUL FIANCE.. BUT I DID NOT LIKE THE FEELING OF LIVING ON ZERO DOLLARS WHILE WAITING FOR A RESPONSE. I APPLIED A YEAR AGO... I HAD TO SIT AND WAIT, THEN BE DECLINED ONCE, NOW GOT ACCEPTED. BUT TAKE IT FROM ME, LIVING LIFE WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT STRUGGLING THROUGH A WORK DAY IS ONE LESS THING TO DEAL WITH. OUR LIVES ARE ALREADY HARD ENOUGH SO HELP YOURSELF OUT AND GO FOR IT!
  4. charming

charming New Member

Theres no way that I can not work and sit and wait for the goverment decide to give me SSD I have a 16y/o and a 10y/o plus my 21 y/o live with me is counting on me to keep a roof over our heads only my 21 y/o works and I do have a boyfriend but he works and he has bills at his place. paying rent, light and gas and food bills insurance. I don't have a family who will pay my bills and buy my grocerys all like that! until the goverment decides to turn me down. then keep me begging for my money I put in the pot and still putting my taxes in on it today, tomorrow and next week , next month to next year. And I know age is not a factor.I just cant become homeless to be turned down then turned down until they say I'm approved.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  5. JEANSKI

JEANSKI New Member

No. I had thought about it many times. But I came to the conclusion that I am worse off without work.

Things are so bad sometimes that if I don't have a reason to get out of bed I won't. It just makes my Fibro worse. But I CAN work...I am grateful for that. Alot of people have no choice like my sister.

I don't wish I could stop working but I wish the pain would stop. Oh, how I wish it would!

Not working just makes me spiral down, it makes it worse. If I just keep moving, mentally and physically I can make do. For now at least...

6. michsteep

michsteep New Member

I do work part time - Mon/Tues and 1/2 day Wednesdays. I work at a computer which makes it hard on my back, neck & shoulders. BUT - I get full time medical benefits and good pay so it's really not a choice.

The rest of my week and weekend is when I do my house chores, errands and laundry. Oh - and I have someone come in once a week to do the major cleaning (floors,bathrooms.

My kids are definately old enough to take over some chores too.