Do any of you take Vicodin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marw, Mar 2, 2006.

1. marw

marw New Member

I am currently taking Vicodin 5/500, but my doc wants to change it because he is afraid of too much tylenol in it.
    I take it every 4 hours, even at night. (5-6 times a day)

My question: is there a form I can take than has less tylenol? I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that some of you take different forms of it. I know about Lortab, but I had rather not do more opiate, just do less tylenol, if possible.

I did try the Fentanyl patch, but even the lowest dose was too strong for me and I ended up with an over-dose situation and went to the ER. If I can't work out the Vicodin, I am willing to try some other opiate or Morphine, but it has to be a low dose that I can control. I am not afraid of addiction, and dependency can be dealt with safely, so I'm not worried about that. I just need to find the right thing.

Of course, if I could take anti-depressents and all those other nerve meds and so on, I would, but I have SEVERE side effects and do not even want to try that anymore. I do take .5 Ativan for Anxiety, and this works, too. But some of the benzos did not.

I also have a lot of allergies, so I must be extremely careful with supplements.

Anyway, thanks to any who are using the Vicodin for any info you have. Or if you are using any other opiate, what were your reactions?

THanks
    Margaret
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Lortab is the same as Vicoden except much less acetomenaphen (Tylenol) At one time I took Lortab 10/325 - the "325" is the acetomephen.

Ask your doctor for Lortab instead of Vicoden.
  3. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Marw.
    I wish that I could offer more help here. It took me years to work out meds that helped and I still do not have a real pain killer when the flares are out of control.
    Vicodin has been a drug that never helped anything. I could eat them all day long and they never touched the pain.
    I do take effexorxl which was the first anti depressent after being allergic to 6 that I could tolerate,
    Then klonopin at night to help with the restless leg and muscle spasms.

Then Toprol xl to regulate an irregular heartbeat and blood pressure that dropped too low.

These seem to work together, help with the pain, but straight exedrin has helped me more than anything.
    I really do need a narcotic for when the days get bad but I am afraid that I would be disfunctional on them by the time they killed the pain.

I hope that someone with a lot more experience than me answers your post. I would be interested in any suggestions that they may have had.

Good Luck and Good Days to You
    "lilchisler"
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

suggested or, I would think your dr would know the meds that are short acting like Vicoden that do NOT have any tylenol or ibuprofen in them. They are available just ask. If your dr will RX Vicoden I think he would Rx those.

IF he doesnt know of any ???? eeekkkk! I would say get a new DR.
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I've been taking the 5/500 vics for close to 6 months and they seemed to lose their ability to control the pain, my guess is because I've been taken them for a while.

My doc has prescribed oxycodone twice a day as a replacement for the vicodins and told me to use the vicodins for break though only as they are absorbed readily where the oxy are not, they are time released.

Things have been better pain wise but I'm still anding up taking the vicodins on a daily basis and the combo of both of them just takes the edge off.

As far as felling out of it I've not really noticed that to this point. But if he increases the oxy I probably would notice it in the beginning until I get used to it, it was that way for the first couple of doses of the oxy.

I don't know if this helps but I thought I'd let you know.

Jake
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It is still Hydrocodone, but it has only 325mg of the Tylenol.
    I started on the 7.5/325, but I am now on 10mg/325 Norco and it has made a Big difference in my Pain load.
    I carry Pain with me everywhere I go, these day's, and after being on Vicodin for about 6/7 years I was concerned about the Liver and the Tylenol.

I see a Pain Dr. 2x a year, and then my PCP writes the rx's for me. That way the Govt. can't Mess with them writting me rx's.
    You gotta play the game these day's and it is so Sad.

I would be dead or stuck in bed all the time, if it wasn't for the Pain Relief I have finally found.
    Hope you find what will work for you also.
    Sharonk
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I have to agree fully with Bruin/Sharon
    The Norco are just as good as vicoden or lortabs but alot less tylenol has been added.
    The same amount of pain med,...just less tyl.
    I'd go with those.

8. marw

marw New Member

I really appreciate your answers! I will ask my doc for the Lortab or Norco. That makes sense to me. (But just in case the hydrododone is too much at 10 or 7.5, can these tabs be broken in half? I don't think the 7.5 will be, but when I tried Lortab at 10/325 once before, it was too strong and I got groggy. THat was when I first got this dreadulful disease...and I think I am adjusted to the opiate now.)

Vicodin works well for me, and I like to keep it as close to what I have now as I can. Funny, but it does not work without the Ativan, and the Ativan does not work without the Vicodin. I seem to need both of them. Well, that would make sense, because they are for different things.

My pcp prescribes the Vicodin for me....I don't know what I would do without him! He is so sympathetic towards this disease, and always tries to find meds for me. THe Rheumy (which he sends me to will not prescribe opiates, but he gives me the Ativan, of which my pcp is aware, so we are all on the same page.)

Thanks,
    Margaret

9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

are usually Scored, a line down the middle, so you can break them in half, I started out that way, actually.
    After ten years tho , I am up to the 10mg, But, the way I look at it, is I have kept my Pain in check, which has made my life a little easier.
    I could be on Stronger meds, but I also do other Treatments that help, so I don't have to take them.

Hope you can get a Med, that will work for you, it does make a big difference when you don't have to think about the Pain.
    For a little while at least, lol.

Sharonk
  10. mary124

mary124 New Member

I take it (750 mg.) I take can up to 4 tablets in a 24 hours day as needed. I see him every 6 months. (I go to a pain management doctor.)
  11. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Margaret:

I have been on Vicoden for many years also. My doc changed me to Oxycodone so I would have less going through my liver. It worked as they upped the dose, but I was getting sleepy from it. So then we decided to go back to Vicoden and he wrote for 10/500 so there is less Tylenol and take it every 6 hours as needed.

I recently was in the hospital for severe flu and we went back on Oxy at a lower dose. I take 40 mg twice a day and the Vicoden for breakthrough. But I use the lower dose Vicoden. Also, sometimes with me I have to decide if I am having pain or is it my muscles that hurt and then do I need the muscle relaxer instead of Vicoden. Soemtimes it's hard to tell which is which!

Hope this helps. I only have had my liver function tests elevate one time and only a little and they returned to normal. But, I only have one liver so I want to watch it!

M J
  12. marw

marw New Member

Thanks, everyone, again, for all your relies. Your info has helped a lot! I have enough Vidodin for this month....then he told me to come back, he wants to consider something else, so I wanted to know what was available myself, so I would not feel lost in any conversation with my doc. These things sound very doable to me! Much appreciation!

Margaret