DO ANY OF YOU WITH FMS HAVE SKIN THAT BURNS LIKE A SUNBURN I SUFF

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Sep 3, 2005.

1. nje

nje New Member

SOME STRANGE THINGS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING TO ME LATELY BUT THIS ONE HERE WITH MY SKIN DOWN MY WHOLE BACK BURNING LIKE THE WORST SUNBURN YOU COULD IMAGINE.
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE THIS,AND IF THEY DO WHAT IF ANYTHING HELPS RELIEVE IT? ALSO MY LEGS AND ARMS BURN THE SAME WAY,DIFFERENT PLACES USUALLY AT NIGHT BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY.
    i WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE. THANKS (((HUGS)NJE

ALSO MY TOES ON MY RIGHT FOOT ARE STIFF AND PARTIALLY NUMB,I CAN BARELY WIGGLE THEM,AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING ON THE OTHER FOOT TOO. ALSO MY LEGS FEEL VERY MUCH WEAKER THAN THEY EVER HAVE. DO I NEED TO CALL MY NEUROLOGIST OR WHAT? I ASKED MY REG. dR. HE DIDN`T SEEM CONCERNED ABOUT THEM BUT I AM, THEY ARE MY FEET AND THEY THE ONLY 2 I GOT AND I`D LIKE TO KEEP THEM IN WORKING ORDER SO THAT WHEN I DO FEEL LIKE IT(WHICH IS RARE) I CAN GET OUT AND ABOUT. HELP PLEASE?
    SORRY I WANTED TO COVER TWO QUESTIONS IN ONE POST BUT I`M GETTING TIRED,EVEN BEING ON MY COMPUTER FOR A PERIOD MAKES ME TIRED. THANKS
  2. chopperdoctor206

chopperdoctor206 New Member

I have FM and since last November when I came down with Strep and it settled in my leg and in my heart. It put me into such a bad flare up that I could not move. I was given pain killers to help, but it just took the edge off. I felt a "out of control raging fire under my skin". I was so sensetive to everything. Light hurt, sound hurt, clothes touching me was awful. I lost all my grip. I could not even hold a piece of paper. the nurses that took care of me came in ever half hour to check me and to take care of me. I was like that for over 2 weeks. Finally they got the strep under contro as well and the threat to my heart. The stuff that was in my legs is something called EN. I dont remember the exact name. But it left big red blotches like hives and they hurt and every joint esp. my wrists hurt. Since that time, the fire never left and neither has the constant pain I have now. The fire is like a burning ember and when the flare ups come the fire stokes up and there is nothing I can do but take pain killers and ride out "the storm".
  3. patches25

patches25 New Member

nje, so sorry to hear you have the burning too. I have it so severe it feels like I have been scalded from head to toe. I use to get some reprieve from 20 or 30 minutes in a hot bath. But last year I had a bad fall, broken bones, and now unable to get in and out of a tub. I haven't found a good answer to the burning.

I am more concerned about the weak legs. I really think you do need a good workup for that. If that weakness continues for a few more days and you haven't done some activity that would make them especially weak, you do need to see someone. If you can't see a neurologist maybe you could start with a doctor who looks at spines to be sure there is no nerve compression. I hope you get some help somewhere. Hugs to you. E
  4. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

I guess this must be a Fibro thing. I have burning skin too. It is very red and when you press on it it turns white like a sunburn does, then right back to bright deep pink. It does hurt too, but not as bad as your's seems to. It is mostly on my thighs.

When I feel at my worst, the redness is at its worst as well.

I haven't found anything to help it. Sorry.

As for you foot problems...I have those as well and have been working with a physical therapist, but like someone else said, I'd get it checked out further.

Sorry you are so miserable. Me too.

5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Which is another autoimmune disease.My arms burn when out in the sun as the meds have made me hypersensitive to the sun.I would have a blood test done for diabetes.It's a simple finger prick.
  6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

As a diabetic, I have something called peripheral neuropathy which burns like crazy but this discomfort is confined to my upper left leg. From what I've read, these bizarre sensations are called: "paresthesias".

There are a lot of causes of neuropathy, though diabetes is often considered to be the most common. If you think this might be what you are experiencing, you can always do a search of the medical sites on the web using the terms: "Paresthesias" and "Neuropathy" for a better explanation.

About red skin: when I tried Celebrex, the allergic reaction that resulted made me look like I was sunburned - from head to toe. Even at the ER, the doctor initially thought I'd been out in the sun too long (just call me "lobster woman"). Once the Celebrex left my system, the redness completely went away.

Please consider getting some medical help if these weird skin sensations persist. Wishing you relief from this painful condition.

Janice
  7. nje

nje New Member

WE HAVE SOME WONDERFUL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD,I`M INTERESTED IN GETTTING ON THE WORSHIP BOARD,MAYBE SOMEONE WILL TELL ME HOW AND WHERE TO GO. I`M GOING TO TRY TO GO TO CHURCH TOMORROW,I FEEL BETTER NOW,BUT WHO KNOWS BY MORNING. I`M DEFINATELY GOING TO TAKE EACH ONE OF YOU THAT POSTED`S ADVICE. I HAVE BEEN GETTING ON AND OFF THIS BOARD GOING ON 3 YEARS,THE ONLY TIMES I`M NOT ON IS WHEN I AM JUST SO SICK,BECAUSE LATELY EVERYTHING SEEMS TO PUT ME BACK INTO ANOTHER FLARE. SOOO TIRED OF BEING SICK. (((HUGS)))) NJE
  8. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

My skin is only red on my arms and face. Just where the sun hits it. But I don't have to be out in the sun for my skin to be red. It also burns and those areas are hot to the touch.

Just about 2 months ago I was checked for Lupus. I had the ANA test and a biopsy done. Both came back normal. My doctor still thinks I might have Lupus. They took me off of Hyrachlorathiazide sp? (HCTZ) and my skin is still the same.

I have been this way for about 2 years now. Don't know what it is.

Jo
  9. fahan

fahan New Member

here too! It has been 15 yrs. on and off, more and moreoften.
    I've tried the epsom salts and peroxide baths and it helps alittle and after afew days of using it it does get better.

I do feel for you because it does hurt. Wish I could help you, wish you to get better. fahan
  10. 1by1

1by1 New Member

dear nje,
    i have the burning skin here too. it started a long time ago, just a little here and a little there, and now i have it most everyday and everywhere. i am also sweating more. it feels like acid going thru my veins. i thought i was having an ulcer or my colon was burning up also, besides the skin pain. i am having a horrible problem with this and it causes me a lot of stress. still no answers, but am right there suffering with you. they are not hot flashes, and i just wish other people would understand how miserable this is. im with you . lbyl