Do bananas constipate or help you go?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IEMom, Aug 19, 2006.

1. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I always thought bananas were constipating, so I've always avoided them.

Recently on some of the message boards, a few people have posted that a banana a day helps them go.

Which is true?

2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have always heard they are good if you have diarhea, but as far as really giving you constipation I doubt it.
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thats funny, I just got through eating one. LOL They have always helped me.
    God bless, Julie
  4. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I agree with you. I don't know if bananas can cause any type of problem, but if anything, they can cause constipation.

Many hugs,

Arlene

5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I use bananas for the great potassium they have as I am on a diuretic and the doc told me to use potatoes and bananas as good sources to keep from getting muscle cramps.

I think the banana is better to help consipation as it is a good source of fiber too.

Hugs,
    Faye

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I read that thread and I had always been told that it could cause constipation. I know they are healthy.

We need to find out. I'm glad you posted this.
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This is confusing. I did a Google search. A few sites did recommend bananas because of the fiber but there were other sites that did steer you away from them because of pectin.

The real surprise to me was that they included apples with bananas as a fruit that could cause constipation.

The reason was that both contain pectin and pectin is an ingredient used in Kao-Pectate which is used to treat diarrhea.

Now we have a big controsary don't we???? Constipation is a major problem for me and the "usual things" do not work for me...even the unusual things do not work. I still will eat my banana and apple because of the other health benefits.

I am still in shock about the apple though.

8. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I think we all must be different, as bananas constipate me.
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Though bananas have a lot of valuable nutrition in them, they can be constipating - especially if you already struggle with regularity.

They also contain a great deal of natural sugar which is why half a banana constitutes a full fruit serving in the diabetic exchange list.

Hope this is helpful.

Sofi
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

by jlh on 7/26. It is a lot of facts about bananas that I really found interesting.....happy reading!