Do Benzo's and Antidepressants Really Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 1, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

How many think benzo's and AD's help with CFS/FM ? Since anxiety /depression seemed to appear along with all the other misery of the DD.

I have been on Xanax for about 8 years and honestly not sure if I am that dependant on them or if they really help? I have tried many antidepressants but haven't found one I can tolerate .

There are days I think I am going to stop the xanax, slowly of course, but then I feel if they help why stop.

The fear I have about taking xanax is most doctors will not give them.. The doc I have now doesn't have a problem but never know when she will retire or leave.

2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I think they do help. The trick is to get the right combination of meds.

I had good relief from my FMS with klonopin, a benzo. But, like you I find that doctors don't want to RX benzos. So, I no longer have that tool.

The best AD I've found is the Cymbalta I currently take. It definitely helps with my depression caused by pain. Of course Cymbalta is expensive, and that can be a drawback.

But, yes. Both benzos and ADs have helped me.

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

To each for you input.. I do wish I could take an antidepressant but for some unknown reason I just can't tolerate them. They make me feel so much worse.. My anxiety is much worse, my head feels like bees are in my brain, dizziness, off balance, tremors and the one I thought I could take , zoloft, I yawned, yawned and yawned and felt spaced out on only 1/4 of a 25 mg.

The doctors say well you can't take them and that is as far as it goes.

Did you have any of these side effects that went away after a couple weeks?

God Bless,
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

If you have the up-regulated central nervous system that Dr. Cheney thinks is common with ME/CFS, you will need a benzo until the ME/CFS is cured. As to your doc retiring, I wouldn’t borrow trouble.

I didn’t get any good from any of the AD I was prescribed. Again, I think this is common for people with ME/CFS. I don’t know what the situation is when you add FM.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Addiction - dependence. remember the difference, please. My Dr. prescribed me Klonapin. Wasn't experiencing any anxiety. This was to help my Fibro. I rarely take it, but it's supposed to help my sleep etc. I don't even take it for that. Never felt the "stigma" with that.
    It is also the one thing that helps my horrific headaches. THAT is when I take 1/2 of one.

I know you've mentioned this sometime before, but which AD's have you tried. There were certain ones that I couldn't take at all only because after a couple of weeks (because it takes a while for them to get in your system) they made me really depressed.
  6. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

I am a first time chat user.I read your 8 years on xanax and I just spent 7 days in a detox get off them.They really helped at first but gradually I needed more and I was so ashamed to beg my dr. for meds.I was also on like a strong vicodin. I tried and tried many times to get off my benzo drug ativan, to no avail,so I checked myself into a very well run,no frills,detox center.They gave me phenobarb on a tapor.First up then down until I went home.I was a little shaky and couldn't sleep much for days,but I didn't have the real strong anxiety and dread feelings of the full blown cold turkey symtoms. I am on an antidepressant Lexapro and 400mg of Neurontin 3xs a day Sometimes I take less,sometimes more,but never stop them.It is also a horrible ride. I feel fairly good on the Lexapro,and miss the benzo,not enough to go through the 15 years of always watching where my next pill was at. Did I answer your question or did I just make you feel frustrated.?I sure am.I also feared my dr was going to retire and I told him, he knows I have fibromyalgia and to please just help me and give me what I need. I am a nurse and am my own worst enemy most of the time.Take care spongebobmama
  7. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Do not listen to aussiewomen. She way too sensitive and possible has a bad doctor. Remeron (low dose) 7.5-10 mg is excellent for anxiety and sleep. Otherwise use Nexavir 2 cc per day bc that is the best tranquillizer ever invented. Plus twice a week 10 mg hydroxocobalamin IV. That`s it. If you get adequate treatment depression should disappear.

tell me what you think.

8. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi adam, i think you are very smart when it comes to sleep. i read all your posts on sleep all the time. i watched you help aussie with the remeron, and then watched for her follow up on it. thats what helps me the most in this chat room, when people report on their meds. im in aussie's league "need a bat" but not yet ready to try the remeron as doc says it can raise the cholestrol (not good for me) and also can cause diabetes. plus ive never had good luck with the ads either. keep the good advice on sleep coming adam, and thank you. joanie
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry , you had to go to a rehab.. I have been on the same dose of xanax never had to increase them, in fact I don't often take the prescribed amount which is .05 three times a day. I usualy take 1/2 of the pill about 3 to 4 times a day. Now on the days I crash or whatever puts me to bed I will take the prescribed amount.

I do know I am dependant on them and would love to taper my self off but at this point I don't see that happening.

I have tried the antidepressants but just can't tolerate them I wish I could then maybe I wouldn't need the xanax. Then again they are very hard to stop taking and if they help why bother. Also doesn the Neurontin have Gabba or something that acts like a benzo?

At my age and for now I have decided life is to short to be miserable so guess I will continue the xanax as long as my doctor is ok with them. I am going to try to cut back if I can to take as needed but I know that will be a long process.

Thanks for your reply and glad you have found some meds that work.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had major side effects with Wellbutrin and other ADs wearing off. My doctor added Lamictal with my Zoloft and it really helped. I have been on the same dose for several years. I do up it in the fall but then lower it in the Spring. Klonepin (clonazepam) has also been helpful, especially for my RLS.

Lamictal is an antiseizure medication originally used for bipolar but taken with an AD it makes the AD more effective and may reduce side effects. It is also used for anxiety.

Do you go to a psychiatrist? I would be hesitant to have a PCP prescribe ADs unless the doctor has specialized training.

We are all different in how we respond to medications. Sometimes it can be trial and error to get the right combo of meds.

Good luck.