Do bright head lights and police car flashing lights blind you ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 24, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Last night on my way home I was blinded not once but twice with police car's flashing red and blue lights on the tops of the car. Also the new halogyen head lights make my head ache and go semi blind for a few seconds. What can I do about this? Do bright lights ever blind you ?
  2. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Hi Rosemarie~
    I have been complaining about this to my husband for years. I don't drive at night that much anymore b/c I just can't handle two lane on-coming traffic. The headlights blind me and just hurt the muscles in the back of my eyes. I have heard of some people that have problems with this get tinted windows for the glare, but I think that it would make it harder to see out of them with tint. Not sure what to do about it.
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I feel so alone when I drive at night, no one in my family has issues with the BRIGHT lights that are blinding me. I don't know who to talk to about this problem , it is getting worse as more pople are getting the nasty halogen"blue lights". I am scared that one day I will be bblinded by the darn head lights and when the nice plice officer askes me what happened I would have to say that the darn blue halogen headlights are sooo bright that they blinded me. And I would be in deep trouble. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone with this issue,
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

For what it's worth, I think the problem with sensitivity to bright lights in CFS is due to adrenal fatigue. Normally, when a person encounters bright lights, the pupils of their eyes become smaller and stay smaller while they are exposed to the bright light, so as to let in less light to the eyes. Normal adrenal function is necessary for this to occur properly.

You can test this with the following home do-it-yourself test: It requires a flashlight, a mirror, and a dark room. While looking into the mirror in the dark room, shine the flashlight into one of your eyes from an angle off to the side, so that you can still see your eyes in the mirror. Watch your pupils. They should become small and stay small. If they don't become small, or if they oscillate back and forth between being small and larger, you have adrenal fatigue. If you can't tolerate shining the light in your eyes, this is already a sign that your pupils are not able to contract enough to limit the entry of light into your eyes.

In CFS, adrenal fatigue is very common. It's actually usually not due to a problem with the adrenals themselves, but due to a problem higher up in the HPA axis, in the pituitary or hypothalamus or both. My hypothesis has attributed this to glutathione depletion in these organs. Dr. de Meirleir reports that he finds that it is due to dysbiotic bacteria in the gut producing too much hydrogen sulfide, which enters the blood and dysregulates the hypothalamus. Perhaps both these things occur, depending on the particular person.

Dr. de Meirleir tests for hydrogen sulfide in the urine with the home do-it-yourself test that is available from and if present in excess, he tests to see what bacteria are present by stool testing and then treats with targeted antibiotics and probiotics.

I have suggested the methylation cycle treatment, which lifts the glutathione level. The protocol can be found at Because a small number of cases of adverse effects have occurred with this treatment, even though it consists only of nonprescription supplements, a person must be under the care of a physician while on this treatment.

Best regards,

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I definitely have a problem dealing with bright lights when I am driving at night.....this is a problem with oncoming lights and with those in the rear view mirror........just had to get a new car & it has the auto dim thing on the rear view mirror and I found that it does not get dim enough at all.....I wound up putting tape over the front sensor to fix this - it makes things a bit dark during the day, but still workable, and so much better at night

I know that doesn't help with oncoming lights, but I just wanted you to know that I can totally to the oncoming lights, I just always try to look away from them as much as possible (I know that is not always safe either, but it generally is the best solution I have)
  6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

In answer to the question about driving at night and do I have to do alot of it. Some times. It depeneds on how my MOm is doing because I am the one that gets called out to assist her when ever she needs any help. Also I will drive at night when my hubby is not at home, I hate being alone, so I go over to my Mom's where I can play with my grandbabies as they and their parents live with my 83 yr old Mother. When I first posted this I had been at my mom's holding my newest granndson, and on the way home I stopped at the Walmart for a few things I needed. It was on the way home from Wal mart that I saw all the flashing lights from the police cars and the bright lights from halogen headlights.
    I don't have to be out alot at night and I try not to be out after dark because of these issues. I have always hated driving at night and it has gotten worse since I was DX with Fibro 6+ yrs ago. It is bad enough that when I have to go and see my dauighter who lives a few hours away I try to leave early so I don't drive in the dark or I will stay over at her house.
    It has been in the past few years that the brights lights hvae really gotten annoying because I can't see for a few seconds after wards. It makes me nervous to not be albe to not see any thing but blackness with a few Bright spots in fromt of me. I worry about getting in a accident because of the bright lights and the fact I am unable to see . I am going to stay at home for the next few months as my hubby is back from his trip and so far "knock on Wood that Momma is doing well and does not need me at night.
  7. 76667666

76667666 New Member

hi rich. i saw your reply and wonder what you know about glutathione. i have a condition where my liver doesnt produce near enough of it. and always have to take tablets. since starting glutathione tablets about 5 years ago i noticed a few side affects. i no longer get allergies and i cant stand flashing lights. im not quite sure if the lights are caused by glutathione or its just coincedence because also about 5 years ago in australia the intensity of flashing lights changed because most people that cant handle flashing lights say it started just a few years back.
    do you know if theres any link between flashing light intolerence and glutathione/liver function/free radical stress.

by the way. i dont visit this site often so please email,
  8. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

When I took my first driving test a zillion years ago, you were supposed to look at the lines dividing the road when oncoming lights were blinding you. Like Jaminhealth, I discovered the hard way (by missing the answer on the written test) that you're supposed to look to the right. That came as a shock to me.

I don't drive at night anymore. I might drive in my tiny town, but that's about it. No longer trips for me. My health has tanked this last year, and my driving abilities went with it. I don't even get to visit my grandson anymore, b/c it's a 2 hour drive. So sad.
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

be due to cataracts in your eyes.

I also don't do well with the flashing police lights. flash from cameras, some computer games, movies and even some flashy tv shows.