Do/did any of you have Fibro in your 20's?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Roxyprincess520, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Roxyprincess520

Roxyprincess520 New Member

Hi all!

I am 21 and I have all the symptoms of fibromyalgia and have for a couple of years ( I just have had a bad doctor who never took the time when i tried to tell him about my symptoms) Im just wondering though, is it possible for someone my age to have a chronic pain disorder? did any of you have it in your early 20's? I have all of the sympotoms so I dont know what else it could be, but not sure if other people get Fibro this young? I am also afraid that the doctor wont believe me because they have already had a tendency to not believe the ailments I have told them about because of my age.

Any help or advice? :) Thanks guys!
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I have had FM for 21 years,,,,got it when I was 27 years old.

What I didn't know then, that I just learned last week, is that it is Lyme disease.

My symptoms are classic FM symptoms....caused by lyme.

You should go to the FM board and read my posts.

I list some papers/articles, symptom list, etc that you should read.

Did you fibro start with an off season flu-like illness???

After all these years I will finally be able to get treatment and have great hope of recovery.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I believe I've had Fibro since my early twenties. I remember going in for xrays on my knees because of such horrible pain - then diagnosed with "spastic colon", now called IBS. There were times I couldn't walk because my legs hurt so badly. I remember having to crawl up the stairs. The days after we'd all go out, while everyone else was fine, I could barely keep my eyes open and my body ached so badly, I couldn't stand it. I was never diagnosed with Fibro. I truly thought it was just the unfortunate way that I was.
    I had two kids in my twenties. It wasn't until 20 yrs later that I was officially diagnosed when my pain became more than I could handle. Tylenol wasn't cutting it anymore and my quality of life was minimal.

I appreciate all of the Lyme info, but some people do have Fibro - just Fibro. If your symptoms match Lyme - check it out.
  4. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw New Member

I am 21 and we are still trying to figure out whats wrong with me. If this is Fibro then I have had it since childhood. When I was younger I had chronic 'Growing pains'. My doctor has suggested it since he is now takeing it seriously thanks to my mom. I was tested for some things when I was 18 but the tests were negative and I was dismissed.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2009]
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

My story is similar to Janalyn's I've had it as far back as 10-12 years of age,,,now that i realize what it is!,,,,,not Dx until 40 years of age after working for 22 years as a nurse aide and also having 3 childern and 4 surgeries all before the age of 40,,,,,,it's a good thing that you can be diagnosed now at a much younger age ,,and not have to suffer as much!!,,,,,S
  6. sde72760

sde72760 New Member

My fibro was diagnoised at 28. I had been going to docs for a yr trying to find out what was wrong and I had never heard of fibro at that time. My worst syptoms began after surgery. I never seemed to recover. I have had it for over 20 yrs now. It is hard to find docs that listen. There are still some out there that think it is in our heads and don't believe it exists. If that is your case, pls find another doc. My current problem is getting my doc to look at new symptoms and not automatically blame it on fibro. Good luck.

Sherry