Do Dr De Meirleir's methods work?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by englishbob78, Jan 8, 2010.

1. englishbob78

englishbob78 New Member

Hi I've had CFS for about 6 months now and it is hell!
    Here are a few of my symptoms:
    Tired and weak all the time (on a good day I can walk around the block)
    Achey muscles
    Brain fog/Unable to concentrate on reading/playing music etc
    Total loss of appetite
    I was admitted to psychiatric hospital in september of last year as my symptoms were really bad and I had become suicidal: I was spending much of the day in bed and was having difficulty standing. Thankfully after a couple of months almost bed-ridden the aches in my legs allieviated a bit and I was able to move around a bit more. Now that I look back I can see that it was the tiredness and total loss of energy that caused my depression and not vice versa as the doctors (psychiatric) maintained. Through consequent research I have found out that CFS is still considered a psycho/social condition in the NHS in the UK. I ended up staying four months in hospital not really knowing what was wrong and hoping anti-depressants would sort me out. Needless to say they didn't and I am still suffering the above symptoms.

I've been reading lately about Dr De Merleir's approach to CFS. From what I can see he seems to have had some good success. At least he looks at it as a biological condition! I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had contact with him or his methods. Also, I've been reading about testing for the XMRV virus which has been linked to cfs. If anyone has any info about testing in Europe I would like to hear from you.

Good luck fellow sufferers!