Do FM'ers heal more slowly than others?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, May 21, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I recently sprained my foot and knee and it seems to be taking FOREVER to heal. It's been 2 weeks tonight. Every day it gets a little better, but there is still some pain. I'm beginning to believe these body parts will never be the same....is that likely do you think?

Also, have you ever gotten a wierd quick pain deep in an arm or leg that feels like an electrical shock with pain, like someone is sticking a sharp object into a BONE? This does not feel like muscle pain. Usually it stops within 2 seconds or so.

The reason I ask is that I've had this very same pain in my ankle bone ALL DAY today. Have had nothing like it for the past two weeks. Sometimes it stops for a few seconds then comes right back. Just when my foot was finally healing! Anyone know what this pain is? I have NEVER had it go on all day, it's really getting me worried.

Any advice would be so appreciated!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2003]
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I have to say that I believe this is so. I had surgery in September for a normal person they are up and about in two days. i wasn't for about two weeks and still feel like i am in pain at times with it. So my opinion is yes.

I can't say that I know what this pain your feeling is but I sure would speak with the Doc if it keep going. It could be something more then just the healing process.
    Good luck.
    Joannie
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have certainly healed more slowly from injury and my dr had told me on occassion to not be surprised by slower healing.

The pain in my ankle is from tarsal tunnel syndrome; comes and goes and can sometimes feel like an ice pick is stuck in it. Learned this from my podiatrist.

Wish you quick healing.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Long before I had ever heard of FM, let alone knew I had it, I had an injury to my heel caused by being thrown into the three foot depth of a swimming pool. The orthopedist said I should be significantly better within two weeks. I wasn't, but he was conveniently on vacation by then, so I was stuck.

I was on crutches for a month that time, even though his nurse asked me when I came in why I was on them. I told her I couldn't put any weight on my foot.

Five years ago I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. A different orthopedist said I wouldn't need PT and should be able to reurn to work within a few days. I was on crutches for over a month and it bothered me for several months following that.

Interestingly enough, while waiting for a friend to come out of surgery today I overheard a PT talking to a man who was having the exact surgery I had and telling him exercises he could do soon after the surgery. My doc said I wouldn't need it until after two weeks I was still hobbling. That changed his mind.

So, in my experience the answer would be yes, it does take us longer to heal.

Barbara
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have the FMS/CMP and I have the buckling knee and ankles that can come along with that combo.

I am always turning my ankles, specially when I walk on Grass, gravel/rock walk way's or , or old parking lot's, they have all thoes nasty bumps here and there that trip you up cause you don't see them.

I take a long time in recovering from surgery's, my body will grow Scar Tissue at the moment they seew me up.

I had 3 operations in 18 months, back in "93", and I spent almost 2 years in PT getting over thoes operations.
    The hardest was being able to bend my left knee after the artoscopy op. , it took over 5 months, I was on crutches for most of that time. I also had to have one of the cruthes mounted with a platform type of gadet to help with my right arm, I had surgery on it and my neck before, and I couldn't use the cruthces without it.

Don't give up or despire if you don't heal fast like you use to, just keep doing the PT and it will work.
    I now can ride an excerise bike, and if I need to have surgery there, the knee, again I'm ready for it.

Hope you are feeling better and may you have a Sunshine, Painfree day.
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

my doctor and Chiropractor told me is nerve pain. It is excrutiating, and thank goodness it only lasts for a few seconds at a time. In fact, there was a post about this not too long ago that I responded to. As far as healing slowly, my doctor told me that yes, when you have Fibromyalgia you can usually double the healing time it takes as compared to "normal" people. Last Winter I had the flu and pneumonia and it took three different antibiotics to knock it, also I sprained my ankle and the doctor told me I could expect it to take up to six months or longer to totally heal, and according to him this is normal for people with Fibromyalgia.

Dara
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I did a search on "nerve pain" and got some good info. There were so many posts I haven't been thru them all yet! I had never heard the term, so I learned something new today. It's been 2 days straight now, and it hurts so bad sometimes I could scream. It's relentless. Ibuprofen helps, but only if I take 1000 mgs, and I hate taking that much. I'm afraid of destroying my liver, I'm already on so many meds already.

It's funny but the pain has moved from the ankle bone to about 1 inch IN FRONT OF the ankle bone! Wierd.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to talk to me. It helps, even when I'm limping! :)