do heat and humidity trigger dizzy spells?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Adl123, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hello all,
    Does anyone know if heat and humidity can trigger dizzy and light headed spells?

Ever since it got really hot, I have had dizzy spells when I read or move my head quickly, followed by periods of light headdedness.

I had my ears cleaned out and I am on a calmant and a pill for dizziness. To be honest, I stopped these meds because they made me too groggy. The spells have lessened, but are still around.

I would be grteful if anyone knows of a connection. I guess it could be a combination of stress and being over-extended.

What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Terry
    izzyqp103 likes this.
  2. Vada

Vada New Member

I am presently sitting im my basement after having been outside in and out with an 8 year old in 90+ degrees from 9:30 am to 3pm and you wonder if heat and humdity make you dizzy and lightheaded??????YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Whether or not this is caused by our fibro I really don't know except that I recently read that any adverse weather conditions will make us extremely susceptible to exhaustion, dizziness and possible flares.

Hope this helps. LaVada
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thank you all for your responses. This really helps me, and gives me some idea of why I may be so dizzy.

Terry
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I went to the doctor this morning because I have had trouble with being dizzy for almost a week. He said I have labrinthitis, which is an imbalance in the fluid in the inner ear, and gave me a diaretic.

He said I was the third person in today with this. It has been in the 90's for about a week and over 100 today. Humidity is only about 18 percent but I think if it was higher it would be even worse!

Hugzz!
    Greenbean
    izzyqp103 likes this.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Most of us get the same bad feeling in heat and humidity.

I am in Louisiana, and its been near a 100 degrees for a week (heat index is near 114), along with the high humidity. The sun is so bright I have to wear sunglasses to go get my mail. It almost binds me.

I stay indoors as much as possible with the a/c at a steady 69-70 degrees :) This heat will not only make me dizzy, disoriented, but I will feel like all the strength is zapped out of my body, and I just go limp.

I make a point of drinking half my body weight in ounces of plain water a day. No sodas, they cause dehydration. So try drinking your water, some juice and stay out of the sun. It really is a killer for us.

Take care!

Shalom, Shirl

izzyqp103 likes this.
  6. lavendula13

lavendula13 New Member

Boy do they ever! I live in Minneapolis, we're just getting over a record hot spell, dewpoint is still about 85. Besides the waking up night before last not knowing where I was, last night I LOST 15 MINUTES! I was watching an episode of 'Missing'. At 9:47 the lady sat down to look through some files. Next thing I know it's 10:08 and the news is on! Still don't know if the actors ever found the woman they were looking for. Today I'm having to hold on to things to stand upright. And sinuses are bad, too.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sounds like you were MISSING!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

for all your responses. I've been doing the things you suggest, like drinking water, etc.... They are part of my daily protocol.

I've been going through tests. The latest is an MRI today, to see if I have a brain tumor. Let's see what they find out.

Terry
    p,s, Well, the results of the MRI came back and I don't have a brain tumor. He didn't see leisions, either. I'm really glad about that. I do have spinal stenosis at the neck, though, but I aleady knew that. I thnk I'm dizzy because I'm
    just weak.

Terry[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2005]
  9. izzyqp103

izzyqp103 Member

HI SHIRL, I was looking online for a reason for my dizziness for the past three summers, I live in Indiana humidity, and found this site. I believed it to be due to my heart problems, but dr said no, even though blood pressure is also elevated when dizzy. After heart was repaired, still dizzy but only when humid now. Your comment about heat making you dizzy, disoriented and tired described me to a tee. I have emphysema so I live in air all summer, but the dizziness persists even after I have been out and return to cool. Do you find this to be true also after you have cooled down? Does your dr attribute your dizziness to your fibro?