Do I get the Flu Shot or Not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joanng, Oct 16, 2006.

1. joanng

joanng New Member

Help! I've heard conflicting opinions and I can get it for free here at work. I got it in the past and I don't remember any side effects but..... What's the vote?

Thanks!

Joann
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

to get the flu would just about kill me. I get the shot evry yr and I have FM

Suzette
  3. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

I am having the same dilema, I live in the uk and because i'm a high risk group can get it done next month, but i'm unsure what to do, so will be interested in what people have to say

x
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

My ex. husband stopped taking flu shots many years ago (he got loads of shots prepping for the gulf war). He stopped getting the flu after a couple of years of "no shots". I don't know if there is a relation. I haven't taken the shot for a few years either (won't go into why). I have no problems with this. Maybe the flu shot is overrated (except for elderies and younger healthy children).
  5. northlights

northlights New Member

I've had my flu shot the last 3 years. I get it for free due to other health issues. My son had the flu last year, but luckily I didn't get it. My immune system is such a mess that I'm afraid to get the flu. The last time I had it, I was sick for over a month.

My vote is YES, go for it.

north
  6. alearner

alearner New Member

The one year I didn't get the shot - I got the flu. Thought I was going to die - or maybe just wished I would.
    Since then I have gotten the shot. My MD thinks it is a good idea. I have to plan on the possibility of 2 to 3 bad days after getting the shot. (Sometimes the shot makes me achy for a few days - ither times it hasn't.)

Are you around a lot of people? especially kids or other people who deal with the public? Or are you rather isolated? I would think the more you are around others, the more you might benefit from getting the shot.

Since I receive SSD and medicare - medicare pays for the cost of my shot.

This is just my humble opinion. I will be praying thta you make the right decision.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I have CFS and I've gotten a flu shot for as many years as they've been giving them. I've never have a problem with them other than a sore arm. My opinion is that if you're not allergic to eggs (and any other thing now listed as reasons not to get the shot), it's a good idea to get it. Why risk the flu on top of everything else? If in doubt, ask your doctor.

This might be the place to say that while many feel they don't get "sick-sick" as they used to, I suspect that it may be because we're less apt to be in crowds than well people. I'm also pretty conciencious about using antibacterial hand cleaners after shopping - although I think antibacterial products can be overused.

Marta
  8. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

maybe you should get it. If you are around a lot of people
    all the time or around alot of kids, maybe you should get the shot.

I may get flu shots as I get older but I'm avoiding them for now. I had one 11 years ago and caught the flu that year. I haven't gotten a flu shot in 10 years and only had the flu once. I think I don't catch cold easy anymore because of acid reflux. When I allow it to flare up a bit, I don't get a cold or the flu but when I control the reflux too well, I catch a cold - weird, isn't it? But I've tracked it 10 years and it's true for me.

9. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Because my numerous docs. all insist (and if they didn't, I would!)

Barry
  10. TerryS

TerryS Member

I've had one flu shot in my life, and it caused a serious case of the flu!!! I also came down with rheumatic fever after getting the rubella shot back in 1970, and came down with cytomegalovirus after getting an MMR "booster" (so I could go back to college) back in 2002.

As far as I'm concerned, I will resist all immunizations in the future as apparently my immune system can't handle them!

TerryS
  11. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

YES Im with all the rest of you. My immune system is week also, and with flu and brochitis hiting me about the same time as the fybro , I dont like taking any chances been very sick as a kid and adult..

Im staying safe and getting mine again this year.
  12. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

First of all, I know WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE who have gotten the shot in the past and who ended up very sick all winter long once they got it and now they no longer get it because of that reason, and seem to get thru the winters healthier and stronger than when they did get it. For me personally I dont believe in injecting yourself with the chemicals that are placed into vaccinations, esp. the flu vaccination, and well thats just my opinion. YES I have been sick in the past but my body did what it had to do. My own Doctor said that the flu shot could very well flare up the fibro since it dose get your immune system going and it wouldnt be worth the pain and agony form it. I too have gotten a letter(postcard) from insurance co saying to get the shot. Oddly enough I have also sat in a few seminars about the epidemic of fear and the panic drug companies cause trying to make money off the flu vaccination. The so-called "free vaccinations" are not free they actually come out of your taxes thru the government. Believe me when I say I found out that its a big money making scheme I was shocked, mortified and amazed at what these drug sompanies will do to make the big bucks. As far as the insurance companies they too get a "cut" into the deal as well. Theres a book out there called "Confessions of a drug Pusher" which is about a drug rep who decided to get out of her job and expose the real nonsense behind all these major drug companies pushing drugs for depression, adhd, blood pressure, etc. Im tellign you when I sat thru this seminar I was shocked and amazed at what I learned. You also would not believe what chemicals that are actually very toxic to the body are used in vaccinations. I will get the paper I left at my job and Ill list them if anyone wants to know. It really is scary!!!

I try to talk my mom out of it every year. She swears by it, and then ALL WINTER LONG she is sick as a dog. To me...and this is only my opinion...its nothing but a money making thing every winter to get people all worked up to think they if they dont get the shot they will die.

I guess it depends on your beliefs and what you persoanlly agree with. Again, in my opinion, I know and witnessed way too many poepl who ende dup sicker than normal when they got the shot....therefor I am avoiding it as much as possible.
    I have asthma and so does my daughter. She is 13 and she never has had the shot even though "Doctors say if you have asthma that a flu shot is detrimental"...I will never do that to her or myself. My friends children both have asthma. The one child really bad, Every yr he gets the shot...every winter he is VERY VERY sick and in the ER a million times because his illnesses lead him into a bad asthma attack. So then tell me how the flu shot is protecting this little boy if he gets twice as sick after he receives it yet they push it on him every yr. His older sister gets sick as a dog too. My daughter has never had the shot...she had 2 colds last winter...and shes never been even close to being as sick as my friends children who get the shot every yr. My step-son didnt miss a day of school last yr and had one cold. My step-daughter had 2 colds, one of which turned into a sinus infection and my littlest daughter had 2 colds and a little tummy bug. That was it...no flu...nothing major and no antibiotics. My friends kids; sick as dogs, missed 20+ days of school and they were both on anti biotics once a month at least and thru the spring.

You asked for an opinion and Ill tell you mine...

NO DONT GET THE SHOT.

OUR BODIES ARE DESIGNED TO FIGHT OFF INFECTION ON THEIR OWN...yes some peoples immune systems are compromised but that still doesnt make any sense to inject them with deadly chemicals to help them fight off the flu. Im not sure Ill eve runderstand that whole concept.

Theres too much at risk including the major flare with the fibromyalgia the Doctor told me becuase the immunization can cause the immune system to go way out of wack hence causing the fibro to spiral out of control. But the choice is yours. Good luck with your decision.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  13. joanng

joanng New Member

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses. Actually, I'm sick right now. It started on Friday with laryingitis (sp?) and horrible body aches/slight fever. Like I said, I've had it in the past but didn't seem to have any problems (except sore arm) but this year has been bad with flare-ups. I see my fibro dr next week. I'll see what he recommends too. This may sound like a dumb question but do you have to wait until you're 'healthy' to get the shot?

thank you all again.

joann
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I can't work and I wash my hands often. When I go anywhere I have to wear an odor control mask. Therefore I'll get very limited flu exposure. The only shot I'll deal with is the BB gun I'll use if someone comes to my house infected with the flu bug.
  15. meowee

meowee New Member

I always get mine every year and haven't had the flu since I was a small child.
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It is a very hard decision. I have had a shot every year and no ill effects. I do have Epstein Barr virus and one doctor says to use the flu mist only. The other still says have the injection.

It would be terrible to get the flu. I will probably get the flu shot.

17. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I found the following piece of info from an article:

Doris Jones has conducted a study of ME for her MSc thesis at the University of East London. Her research suggests that a vaccination can trigger the illness, or precipitate a relapse.

"About 13% of 225 subjects had been vaccinated in the month before ME onset," she says. She found certain types of vaccine more frequently associated with ME onset, particularly tetanus, and, in younger people, BCG.

Although a prior viral or bacterial infection was normally involved, other factors, or combinations of factors, were often implicated. These included the frequent use of antibiotics for recurring infections, stress, and exposure to toxic chemical or environmental pollutants.

She agrees that being vaccinated before fully recovering from a viral or other infection may increase the risk of developing a post viral illness or ME. "My research suggests that there could be an interaction between a viral or other infection and a vaccination. This can occur if someone is vaccinated when they either have a subclinical infection, or are incubating an infection they are not aware of."

"Occasionally it is possible that a vaccination alone can precipitate ME, but it depends on a number of things. Also, certain people may be more at risk of having an adverse reaction, including those who have had a previous reaction to a vaccine, and people with allergies or a suppressed immune system."

In conclusion, the evidence suggests that any vaccine may precipitate ME or a relapse, particularly if other factors are present, such as a viral infection, around the time of the vaccination.

People who have ME, or have recently recovered, should be cautious about having any vaccine because of the possibility of a relapse.

Health workers face a particular problem, because they are encouraged to have hepatitis B jabs for their own safety, and the new guidelines will mean certain categories of workers may be required to complete a course of vaccinations.

A vaccine is only one of many factors which may contribute to the development ME, and it would be difficult to prove in any particular case how great a role a vaccination played, if any. However, there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the issue deserves more publicity and research, and it is hoped that this article may give rise to further debate on the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your CFIDS or ME started after receiving a flu shot or vaccination of some other sort, please contact Jane Affleck at 101521.3515@compuServe.com and share your experience. We can't count on the medical establishment to make this possible vaccination/CFIDS link, so we need to track down the information ourselves.

Link: http://chetday.com/janecfids.html
  18. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

NO. At least that's what I am saying every time someone tries to talk me into getting the flu shot.

Did it once, got such a horrible case of flu I vowed "Never again" and I've stuck to that.

I think the bad reaction was because of a compromised immune system. I would rather have risked having the plain old flu, instead of the months-long rotten thing I did get. The shot-administering dr, when I went back to him and told him what happened, said it wasn't possible.

Oh sure.

Lea.