Do I go back to college or not???????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slidergirl1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Slidergirl1

Slidergirl1 New Member

The last couple of years have been especially hard because of the fibro and migraines. Plus I broke my finger last year and can't bend it anymore, even after months of therapy.

I'm very hesitant to start this. My husbands job could lose his job. Not sure what will happen to us if he loses his job. I haven't worked for 3 1/2yrs. and not sure if I could even work part time.

I had 1 year of college back in the early 80's. I have been thinking about going back to school although instead my original plan of accounting, I would like to go for paralegal. Not sure how many of my credits will transfer from my previous college, so I could be repeating some courses.

So I'm unsure if I can go back to college. Since it's been so long since I went to college I may need to take some college prep courses just to get back into the swing of things. It could take me 3 years to earn this degree. If I physically can't handle the load and have to drop out, I will be very disappointed. At the same time not sure even if physically I can handle the load, will I pass with the constant fibro fog.

If at some point I try to go to college and fail, then do I file for SSDI, and how will this factor into any decision SS makes?

I'm not getting any younger and can't wait another 5 years to make this decision.

Any suggestions????????
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you remember you need so many credits in so many years to qualify for ssdi....and they will only go retro one year back from the date of filing your claim...i would do that first...

then maybe try to go to school...or get a job...they would consider it a trial work period..

go to

and file you should've done it a long time ago....

3. Slidergirl1

Slidergirl1 New Member

I didn't file because up until now, there wasn't really any financial concerns.

I quit my last job due to the stress, and because my sister's child had cancer. I wanted to be available in case she needed help with her other children. Besides my young nephew passing away then we had 3 other family members pass away in less than a year.

Just not sure where to start with this filing. I haven't even looked for worked since I quit my last job in 2003.
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I do not want to scare you or influence your decision, but I feel I have to share my personal experience with you.

I went to college for the first time starting in the fall of 2004. (I am 37) I spent a year taking gen ed courses and applied to the nursing program at my school.

I did well the first year. I started my nursing classes last fall, Sept 2005, and by the end of this past year I wanted to quit school.

I have to work so much harder than the other students, adults included. I noticed this past semester that I was in more pain than ever. I was getting burnt out and pretending I was "normal."

I tried to take a microbiology this summer, but had to drop the class because my mind just could not focus, organize, or anything. I just stared at the information, dumbfounded.

I am scared to death now because I have to take the micro class WITH my nursing classes and go to 2 clinical days a week at the hospital.

But I HAVE to finish this! I need a job, I need insurance!
    I wish it were over, but I am 2/3 of the way done!

Only YOU know what you can handle. You will make the decision that is right for you I'm sure.

I didn't mean for this to sound so negative, I'm just in a lot of pain sitting here right now.

Best wishes to you!
  5. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I understand your predicament as mine is similar with FMS. I also have severe scoliosis. Had to stop doing office work years back as the sitting was too painful, plus the inactivity made me doze off after a while. Then I did cake decorating for about 10 years, which I loved, but the standing for 8-10 or more hours a day took a toll on my back, hips, and joints and I'm not able to do that anymore. I don't think I would be able to get disability and am not going to go that route; I want to work.

My husband's income is not covering our bills and I'm considering going back to college also but first I'm going to have scoliosis surgery. Once I've recovered from that I want to work part-time and save up money for college classes, taking just one or two at a time to see what I can handle.

My advice would be to just start with one class and see how that goes; then add a 2nd one and go from there. You might also want to try volunteering or working just a day or 2 to see what you can handle. Good luck.

It is an awful predicame3n
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i'm doing a home study course right now which will end in a practical exam then just for extra i am doing a week long intensive course.

you can do home study in almost anything now including tai chi! there are some great colleges out there so shop around :)
  7. jenemc

jenemc New Member

i started out doing the physical class..but it got to the point to where I couldn't handle it. so now i am taking online colloge classes and i have no trouble now....

they give you so long to do your work adn you can do it anytime of day or night. example: unit 1 lasts for 2 weeks..then we start unit 2 for 2 weeks.

i have even had to email the instructors a couple times to let them know the pressure was getting to me and was allowed to turn in work late.

maybe that is soem thing to look into.

but make sure if you do online classes that they are accredited colleges or universities.

if you need help let me know, and i can meet you in chat and discuss with you.

8. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I am struggling with that same question.

I decided I wanted to go back to school to be a physical therapist. I already have my AA degree, but since it wasn't in a science related field I have to take all the science classes to prepare for a degree in the medical field. The only class that I could get into this fall semester is General Physics, a scary place to start with brain fog. While this may be a tough class to start with, it is the only class I plan on taking this semester.

I did apply for services through the college student disabilities office. My neurologist filled out the medical form stating I had migraines and dizziness that affected my cognitive abilities. My rheumatologist filled out the form too stating I had FMS and needed accomodations. The college disabilities coordinator seemed to know what serviced I would need based on the dx and knew what FMS was.

The result was that I am able to get several accomodations that will hopefully help me. I can get the text books on CD/DVD/IPOD/ or tape. I can tape all class lectures. I can get up and leave class for short breaks any time I need too. I get extra time for test taking and can take tests in the room for students with disabilities where there is a room that is quiet and free of distractions. I will get priority registration next semester so I will be able to get into the other classes I need which always fill up before general registration. I had lost my high early registration number while I've been out sick after my injury. There may have been some other accomodations that I have forgotten.

Good luck to you.

9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm normally one who encourages everyone to get as much
    education as they can. If you decide to return to College,
    I suggest you do so slowly and get a feel for your ability
    to work within personal physical and emotional limits.
    Maybe take two initial classes and see how things go. I
    have CFS and not nearly the pain and conditions that most
    other people on this site endure; yet I don't feel I could
    tolerate sitting in a class or even have to be a place
    at a given time on a daily basis.(??)

I applaud your desire to embetter yourself amd wish you
    all the best!!
  10. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi, I am suppose to start college the end of August. I am working with Vesid who is a vocational education for people with disabilities. I also applied for SSD- I have to find something that my limitations and disabilities allow me even if it is part time or work from home. I have all my grants and also I have contacted the college(CAP) to let them know I do have disabilitites and limitations- The vocational people are wonderful- I already dropped 1 class(Alegebra) because I was overwelmed and overbook my credit hours.

I need to start slow, I have been to the college a few times and I know I may need to use the elevators because the stairs killed me. But i am going to give it my best- everyone is proud of me- BUT I am still scared- I am alot slower than I used to be in thinking, concentrating, etc- but the college has alot of help for people with disab. which makes me feel better.

What ever you decide the best to you- just be upfront with them, and my understanding is if you need more help with studying, etc. you got it.

Best Wishes- keep on going(you are never to old to learn)

11. JanieGraham

JanieGraham New Member

Going back to school is a big commitment, but it's worth it, especially if you want to help provide for your family or learn new things. Going back to be a <a href="">physical therapist</a> is a worthwhile thing. I suggest that the person who was trying to decide to go back to school or not ask themselves these questions: Is my life fulfilling? Is my current job fulfilling? What do I really want in my life? Who am I, really? Once you have answered these questions, I think you will know whether or not you need to go back to school.