Do I have a case for harrassment or something else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. keke466

    keke466 New Member

    I know a person can sue for discrimination and so on. Exactly how is harrassment defined. Shouldn't we be protected from bosses and coworkers who put you down,scream and cuss at you,belittle you,blame you for things you didn't do and so on.

    In my case you know I was fired because she just plain didn't like me cause I wouldn't kiss her butt and was smarter than her.LOL.. I worked there 8yrs. and for about 7 of them I worked in hell. I've never been treated like that in all the 18yrs. I worked in nursing. Never been fired before either. Is there anything I can do.

    I was spied on,screamed at,cussed at,lied on,called a liar,wrote up for things I didn't do,wrote up for something that happened when I wasn't there,had Lpn's lie and start trouble for me just because she thought it was funny,accused me of stealing,had her shake her finger in my face,screamed at on the phone and so much more. Too long and other people involved.

    I can prove it cause I think the people that aren't there anymore would tell the truth. I went thru a bad period because of what she put me thru,nearly had a breakdown and had to take off for awhile and that's when the depression started hitting me hard.Is there any action you can take against people like them.

    I was thinking about writing a letter to the board members and telling them the truth about what really goes on. We've been told there are 3 members that want to get rid of her and 3 that don't because they are friends with the administrator and she says as long as she is there the DON will be there. She needs to be gone also.

    They had a company come in and do surveys and ask us a bunch of multiple choice???.
    ost of us told the truth and said get rid of the DON. She read this to us in a meeting and told us as long as she was there Karen would always have a job. You see the problem. You would think that would tell them something. Why bother with the surveys if there not gonna listen to them.

    We have lost residents because the family didn't like the them. We've lost more help than ever since they took over. We can't keep the place full because people don't want to bring their family member there cause they don't like them.

    I know I don't have to worry about it anymore but it would just make me feel better to know she got what she gave. I would give anything to win the lottery and buy that place and give them a taste of their own medicine.

    Any ideas,Keke
  2. ulala

    ulala New Member

    make. If you want to recover any monetary losses you suffered you have to prove those losses.

    If you just want to give the "devil" her due you can always write a letter to the Board but make sure you have the facts and documents to back everything up.

  3. Susan07

    Susan07 New Member

    From the EEOC website:

    Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.

    From the fcc website:

    Hostile work environment harassment occurs when unwelcome comments or conduct based on sex, race or other legally protected characteristics unreasonably interferes with an employee’s work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment. Anyone in the workplace might commit this type of harassment – a management official, co-worker, or non-employee, such as a contractor, vendor or guest. The victim can be anyone affected by the conduct, not just the individual at whom the offensive conduct is directed.

    notice legally protected...

    If she harasses others the same way then the labor board doesn't seem to worry about it either.

    How sad, I have worked for Atilla the Hun myself. I wish she had fired me because I couldn't seem to make myself leave. Fortunately she left after having a showdown with the manager.

    I hope you find something quickly and at a peaceful environment.

    Take care,
  4. Marta608

    Marta608 Member

    Your best bet is to consult an attorney and let them decide. We can give opinions here but you can't take them (our opinions) to court. My sense of it is that you may have lost your best window of opportunity or that action would be more difficult now that you're no longer working there. Not impossible, of course; harrassment suits are filed all the time.

    But the first thing you need to do is decide if you can physically afford the stress of such action. It would be long, drawn out and very stressful. While we hate to let the bad guys appear to win, they really don't in the long run. Do you want to pay the price?

  5. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    now have their own policies on aggressive and hostile behavior in the workplace.

    The last hospital I worked in which had about 5,000 employees had a very strict policy on this which included you could not intimidate a fellow employee or subordinate and a no touching policy.

    If anything like this happened you could file a grievance with human resources.

    I think all companies large or small should have a policy of this nature in place.

    Good luck,

    Karen :)
  6. Empower

    Empower New Member

    I am sorry you went through this

    My husband went through the same thing last year - he boss yelled at him, belittled him, made his life miserable. He even had to see a psychologist he was such a wreck.

    My husband was fired and he DID see an attorney, and unfortunately in our state, there is not a law against it

    We spent $150 for the atty consultation, and it did nothing

    You can try EEOC