Do I have fms or something else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by biodad, Jan 3, 2003.

1. biodad

biodad New Member

I went to see an orthopedic because I thought I had this pain because of a bad hip. Found out my hip is fine. Had xrays done to confirm this. My internist said that I probably have something like Fibromyalgia but I only have it in one place, my lower back. The muscle pain is often excrutiating and need to see another Dr. to see exactly what is wrong. Had this pain for about a year now. Dr.
    said to do exercises on hard floor but I cant get down there because I have double knee replacements and I have a hard time getting up off the floor (Im also 70 yr old male)
    Maybe I dont have Fibro myalgia but I have something else.
    Does anyone else just have pain in one place and what kind
    of Doctor do you recommend.. Im at my wits end. Thanks

Biodad
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Biodad, I sure hope your doctors find what is wrong with you and its not FM!

If you want to read about Fibromyalgia, just go to the 'Home' page at the top of this board.

There is a lot of information on it, and all the symptoms.

I have had Fibro for 20 years, my pain is mainly in my upper back, shoulders, chest and knees. But usually you have tender spots, at least 11 of them before they diagnose you with Fibro, plus they run you through a barrage of tests to rule out other illnesses.

What has helped my pain the most is magnesium. It seems that most people with Fibro are deficient in this mineral.

I take a supplement from Pro Health called; 'Pro Energy'(malic acid and magnesium glycinate), also ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) ZMA is wonderful for deep sleep and also it heals muscles.

You might want to mention this to your doctor. Sleeplessness is also a big symptom of Fibro.

Do you have a problem sleeping?

I sure hope they find your problem and its not Fibro. There is no known cause of this and of course no cure.

Let us know how you do with the doctor, and again welcome to the board!

Happy New Year!

Shalom, Shirl

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You must have pain in all four quadrants of the body to meet the diagnostic criteria for FMS.
    There are many causes for low back pain, and one of them is one leg being shorter than the other, or favored, as Mel said.
    A too-soft mattress can be another, not enough exercise is another, esp. not having strong abdominal muscles to balance the back muscles, and having a fat abdomen can also cause it.
    Just having a job where you stand a lot, esp. on hard surfaces, can cause it, since standing up is very hard on our spines anyway...one reason why back pain is so common.
    I would go with Mel's recommendation, or try some other bodywork, maybe a physical therapist, or a chiropractor who will measure your legs, and check the ergonomics of how you move. My personal favorite is physical therapy, since it has helped me so much, and saved me from spinal surgery.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo
  4. biodad

biodad New Member

Thank you all for your input....Makes sense about the stress on the back when you favor one leg. Ive had double knee repl., 2 discs repaired and a laminectomy, 7cm aortic
    abdominal anuerysm repaired and prostate cancer, and I was about 60 lbs overweight. All this in 6 years and I was
    favoring one leg and still am.. Lost about 40 pounds so far this year and now have to concentrate on getting that pain out of my back. You have all been a big help. I will check out the things you mentioned and let you know how it goes. Thanks a million. You gave me more help than my own Doctor.

Biodad