Do I have Lyme? Need dr in Madison WI

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by LISALOO, Jul 4, 2009.

1. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I think i have chronic LYme disease. Can't do naturals (irritates my interstitial cystitis), tried antibiotics (quit after 3 weeks, fungal issues. Diflucan and diet weren't enough). Looking for dr who does shots or iv antibiotics. So must be in madison WI area or close.

2006 IGenex results: (please if replying let me know if you think i have lyme)

IGM
    34 IND
    39 ++
    41 IND
    66 +

IGG
    41 IND
    58 ++

Symtoms: increasing fatigue, muscle pain, cognitive issues, insomnia, etc
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Absolutely!!

IND is a weak positive. You are showing with your ++ signs that you WERE EXPOSED somewhere along the line- if it's anything like me- I am not sure where and when. Not uncommon.

Those bands are pieces of the spirochete along it's body- specific to Bb.

Fron CanLyme:

The Western Blot essentially makes a map of the different antibodies the immune system produces to the bacteria. The map separates the antibodies by the weight of their respective antigens and are reported in units called kilo daltons or kDa. For example, a Western Blot may report bands at 22, 23, 25, 31, 34, 39, and 41 kDa. Each of these bands represents an antibody response to a specific protein found on the spirochete. The 41 band indicates an antibody to the flagella 41 kDa protein and is nonspecific. The 31 kDa band represents the OSPA protein and is specific for just a few species of Borrelia, as is the 34 band OSPB, and 23 kDa OSPC.

In 1994, the Association of State and Territorial Public Health Laboratory Directors, under a CDC grant, decided that there should be consistency between labs reporting Lyme disease Western Blots, and that a specific reporting criteria should be established. The consensus committe, chaired by Dr. Michael Osterholm, Ph.D., MN, set nationwide standards for Western Blot reporting. This sounds good, but one could argue they made a bad situation worse. Prior to the hearing, virtually every lab had accepted bands 22, 23, 25, 31, and 34 kDa as specific and significant, and reported them as positive for exposure to Borrelia burgdorferi. Not only are these bands SPECIFIC for Borrelia species, but they represent all of the major outer surface proteins being used to develop the Lyme vaccines. The committee, without any clear reasoning, disqualified those bands as even being reportable. (read political issues)

This was a study designed to test the recently proposed changes to Western Blot interpretation by the Second National Conference on Serological Testing for Lyme Disease, sponsored by the CDC. The committee proposed limiting the bands that could be reported in a Western Blot for diagnosis of Lyme disease. Out of a possible 25 bands, 10 specific bands were selected as being reportable. An lgG Western Blot must have five or more of these bands: 18, 21,28, 30, 39, 41,,45, 58, 66 and 93 kDa. An lgM Western Blot must have two or more of the following three bands: 23, 39, 41.

Conspicuously absent are the most important bands, 22, 23, 25, 31, and 34, which include OSPA, OSP-B and OSP-C antigens - the three most widely accepted and recognized Bb antigens. These antigens were the antigens chosen for human vaccine trials. This abstract showed that, under the old criteria, all of 66 pediatric patients with a history of a tick bite and bull's-eye rash who were symptomatic were accepted as positive under the old Western Blot interpretation.

Under the newly proposed criteria, only 20 were now considered positive. (The number of false positives under both criteria was zero percent.) That means 46 children who were all symptomatic would probably be denied treatment! That's a success rate of only 31%.

*Note: A misconception about Western Blots is that they have as many false positives as false negatives. This is not true. False positives based on species specific bands are rare.

You will continue to get sicker and sicker if you do not get it treated. IV is difficult- please go to lymenet.org- a great site- and they have a Dr. referral section.

Best of luck,
    Bunny

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I agree with bunny.

I do believe you have chronic lyme and possible associated coinfections.

The best place to find the kind of LLMD you are looking for is on lymenet.org's Seeking a Doctor board.

You can create a post asking for a LLMD in your area who uses IM and IV antibiotics.

Hope you finally get the help you need.
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

This band does not show up until 2 years post infection.

Try posting on Lymenet or the Healing Well forum. Someone should know of a doctor that is close to you.
  5. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Thaks for all your answers. So helpful. I did get tested two years after getting sick. So band 39 popping up then is rasonable. Unfortunately there's no LLMD within 5 hours of me, hard to get and IV injection everyday.

Antibiotics cause fungal issues even with diet and diflucan. One week and I'm screwed.
  6. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

you can also go the Samento route. You'll need to find a naturopath for that, I think.

I initially did that and rife, and got better quickly- from death's door to shopping the outlet mall in about 6 wks!
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I can't go the samento route, as I said I have Interstitial cystitis and I can't do samento, or anything natural.

I tried samento, my IC was burning, couldn't sleep for days, tried cat's claw, same issue.

How long were you ill with Lyme before treatment with Samento and rife, still thinking about rife, but I can't believe it would work and it's so expensive.

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2009]