Do I need to call SSI about this medicare payment issue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. rosemarie

    rosemarie Member

    I may not have looked in to this Disability thing enough. I had NO CLUE that I would have to pay for medicare. I have innurance through my husbands company and while having double covererage would be nice. But if I qualify for disability I will be getting less than $500.00 a month. And having to take out close to any where from $85.00 - $ 100.00 is more than I really can afford. How I am to be able to get the things I need paid off .

    My hubby has finally admitted that he is respondsible for our large credit card debt. { YES I was in shock and still am a bit} We took out a HUGE consolidatoin along with adding our house payment in with it. Our house payment went from $322.50 a month to $805.00. That loan was done in December of last year and it was a new loan. Now my hubby has got the credit cards just about as high as they were before the loan. I was hoping that when or if I qualify for disbility that I could help out with some of the HUGE BILLS we have.

    But if SS is taking out so much for medicare it will take up almost a third of what I will be getting. I have not worked in the past two years and I have not gotten a lawyer ,as I have done this on my own as it is my first try.

    So if I get it will I have to pay for my medicare for the past 2 years that I have not been able to work? IF so I am in deep you know what.

    I guess that I have a lot a research to do on this. It is even more scary now than before. Now I am worried about it. The only thing I was told was that if I quaified I would be elegiable for back pay for the 2 years I have not worked .And that I would have to make up my mind as to how I would want this money , in alump sum, small payments that are broken up. I don't want to be owning a HUGE amount of taxes on the money. I don't remmember if disability is taxable or not?

    Too many questions I know, now ai am a bit worried about all of this. It was scarey enough to apply for this let alone have to pay for back taxes and back mdeicare that I can't use for 4 months.
    I am wondering if this was a smart thing to do now.
  2. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

  3. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    Yes you should call Medicare they will be more than happy to help you. Every situation is different and they are qualified to help you in your unique situation.

    Best of luck to you,


[ advertisement ]