Do I really have fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GinnyB, Nov 11, 2006.

1. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

Do any of you ever question your diagnosis? My doctor was so casual--"It might turn out to be something else, but for now it's just fibromyalgia." JUST fibromyalgia!

I really don't have very many tender points, and the ones I do have come and go. My fatigue is worse than my pain--until recently. And I have so many other things wrong that could explain both of these symptoms--collagenous colitis, osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease.

I get short of breath a lot and was diagnosed with asthma, only now my lungs are clear and I'm still short of breath. I have a permanent pacemaker and now an echocardiogram shows that my heart is enlarged.

My illness started with the worst rash I've ever seen anyone have--the skin peeled off my face in wide strips. The docs said lupus, but the tests were negative. They thought I had cancer because of white blotches on my gums, but the blotches cleared up before I could get to the dentist, which was only about two days.

All my symptoms except the pain and fatigue come and go. I'm currently getting red blotches on my forehead and black and blue marks that look like bruises except they're really swollen veins or something. No doctor's ever seen them because they come and go in a matter of hours.

The colitis gives me a lot of abdominal pain, and I guess the arthritis is responsible for the pain in my back, but what causes the pain in my ribs?

I've never been tested for any autoimmune problems except for Sjogren's disease--the tests for that came back negative. Big surprise. For me, it's good news when a test is positive.

I now have 2 patches of skin on my elbow that one doctor said were psoriasis, and two doctors said they weren't. Whatever.

But except for the pain and fatigue none of this sounds like fibromyalgia to me. What do you think?

Ginny
  2. Summit

Summit New Member

I think you have a few different things going on, and yes, one of them is fibro. Fibro comes and goes with most people (I dont' seem to have the go part,) And a rash can be a part of that. also, the tender points come and go and move to different part of your body. and the fatigue.! And you get symptoms as you go (I didn't start out with all the symptoms I have today) so, yep, I'd say welcome to the club. Time will tell if you have doubts. Best of luck to you! I didn't want to believe I had it either, when diagnosed (even though I didnt' know anything about it, I didnt' like the sounds of it) but, now, 17 years later, I can't deny it.