Do I really need meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lostsoul62, May 23, 2009.

1. lostsoul62

lostsoul62 New Member

I've been sick with depression and so many other things I couldn't list them on a peace of paper. About 6 years now. Every time I take meds I get sick. Headaches, stomach, flu feeling, you name it. So this last time I take 1/6 dosage for sore feet, depression, and sleep for 7 days and then I increase to 1/3 dosage and today I feel like I am going to die. I feel BAD and I don't even want to explain how I feel. Anyway I am so sick of trying meds which are 3 times worst then what ails me. I'm single and can't cook for myself from depression. But I think and feel that if I could get on a good diet that it could help me feel better. I'm 61 and have a dog, thank God. Does anyone have any suggestion for me?

2. dannybex

dannybex Member

All I can do is offer my own experience.

I am taking one med...valium...and slowly tapering off of it, but years ago, when I was still working, my bosses INSISTED I go to a "REAL" doctor, and get some antidepressants, etc..

The more I took -- and we tried about six or seven different med -- the worse I felt. At one point I could hardly stand up. And when I stopped them...I felt so much least for about 9 months.

But you are right -- If you can, I would strongly suggest looking into what you're eating -- try to cut down or avoid MSG, artifical sweetners, flavors, etc -- all those things can make cfs or fibro worse.

And out of the 7-8 people in our local support group who have recovered -- I would guess that with 4-5 of them, making diet changes was a huge factor in their recovery.

Also, with your dog -- (don't get me wrong, I LOVE cats and dogs) -- but it's possible he or she could be bringing in parasites or other bugs, so if you can, try to avoid slobbery kisses from the dog, or wash your hands or face after those kisses.

A doctor who came and spoke to our group said it's fine to have pets, but probably not a good idea to have them sleep in your bed, because of all the critters they can bring in.

You're very wise Richard. Listen to your body. If the meds are making you worse, then looking into diet or other areas (like hidden mold in the house or apt?) might be a much better idea.

You can get better. :)

[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2009]
  3. clerty1

clerty1 New Member

I so know what you mean I have been there arguing with docs about medication all i can say is i improved when I came of all my meds and started on herbs samento and burbur and betonite clay baths !!
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

many of us cannot tolerate meds and find that natural treatments work better and are safer (though this is not always true, either)...unfortunately a lot of it is just experimentation until you find what works for you....personally I get WAY worse with antidepressants - and I have previously tried many of them - w/o exception I was miserable on them.....after I got them out of my system, I felt so much better (yes i still have ME and FMS - getting off the meds didn't get rid of those, but it did get rid of a lot of awful side effects and it did IMPROVE my mood and my ability to cope dramatically)
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Keep in mind that each of us reacts differently to medications.

My AD has literally saved my life but it took a long time to come up with the right combination. Some I could not tolerate, others I could but they would wear off after a year. What worked for me, may not for others.

I do not have the option to be off my ADs and will probably have to take them for the rest of my life as mine is also genetic. I don't like to take pills but my quality of life has improved dramatically. I see my psychiatrist every six months for a "med check". Monitoring your progress is vital.

Depression is nothing to fool around with. Have you had a complete physical to make sure that the depression is not a symptom of something else? An intake evaluation, which is longer than a regular appointment with a psychiatrist, can help you sort out what is going on. I suggest a psychiatrist instead of your PCP to decide if you need ADs or not.

Who has prescribed your medications? As you probably already know, it can take 4-6 weeks on an AD for it to be in your system before you notice any difference.

Some of us may have depression plus something else going on with our health. That is why it is so important to have a professional help you sort out these things.

Eating healthy foods, whether sick or not, is good advice, but will not cure clinical depression.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, a real physical illness.

Even if it turns out you do not need an antidepressant, at least you will be closer to finding out what is or is not going on.

If you feel overwhelmed to the point that you can't handle things, or suicidal please call a helpline or 911 or have someone else call for you.

If you have already done the above, let us know.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2009]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're feeling punk.

I took a tip from Jaminhealth about a year and a half ago. I take about 5000 IUs
    of vitamin D3 a day. Lessens my depression.

Have been using the vitamin B12 patch for the past few months. Also helps.
    You wear a patch behind the ear one day a week. You can find it on the net.

I have also gotten a lot of help over the decades from a support group called
    Emotions Anonymous.

Hope you can find something.

7. outofstep

outofstep Member

The three things that kept me from starving when I was bedbound from CFS were my microwave, toaster oven and Trader Joe's. I see from your profile that you've got some stores in your area-they are great for healthy, relatively inexpensive, easy to prepare frozen and packaged foods. They also sell some fresh bottled juices that will give you the fruit/veg that you need. I'd definitely recommend them, especially if you're not well-their stores are relatively small so easier to negotiate than a regular supermarket. Hope this helps!
  8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

EA is great.....they made far more difference in my life than most of the other things (inc meds) I tried

as far as your other suggestions go; though they are also good, I would hope that you get your vit D levels checked regularly....that is a very high amt to be taking long term, and it IS possible to take too much (even though most people tend to be on the low side)